• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League or Union

B

bates

Hi,

Just had a look at the highlights of this weekend games. Really awesome to watch. Bumped in to league last year during the WC. Before the WC, RL couldn't really convince me.

What are your opinions about RL vs Union.
Pro's vs con's.

I'm only going to contribute if we can also include Hemispheres in the debate.

I personally think NH Union is better than all of the others, only because I like Union and I'm from the NH. Anyone who dissagrees with me is either too working class (league) or a SH bigot.

Now, theres a perfect start to another constructive debate.

If I'm to stray back on topic though and actually offer an opinion, its difficult for me to watch and enjoy league because its a bit too repetitive. i'm not saying its a poor spectacle but compared to my 1st love (union) it just seems a bit crash bang wahallop (and repeat). I like the maul, the lineouts, the mystery that is the scrum, the kick to the corner, the hope that the opposition hooker has the heebie jeebies. Just an opinion.

Woops, Sorry for starting this but I got to know rugby via Union. So the RL is a bit of unknow area for me.
I'm not asking what's better because then I've started an endless discusion. I just wanna learn more about this particular side of Rugby.

So far I'm enjoy watching it because it's fast and there is power in the game. altho I do miss the elegance of the Union

I will respond to this cos I didn't take part in the last debate.

Basically, there should be no League vs Union. They're both great sports; the two greatest 'winter' team sports in the world. And they're brother sports. I cannot understand the hate there is between them; I think a lot of the time it comes from overly tribal people who don't take enough time to learn about the other.

Union is the most pure and all-round code of football there is. The whole game is a contest for posession, you have tall guys, short guys, fat guys and quick guys; kickers, tacklers, magicians... the whole hog. It's like the team version of mixed martial arts - any array of techniques can be combined.

League is more limited in this respect. However, what League offers is a more refined version of the game. The average League back will have a better footballing brain, slicker hands, and generally a higher skill set. The average League forward will be a better ball carrier and a more physical tackler (partly because of the laws...). But League players don't have to think about the breakdown, scrum, lineout or any other technical areas that Union has.

I like to think of the difference as similar to that between Test and T20 cricket. The Tests (Union) give you the pure, extended, high-intensity version of the game. The T20s (League) give a higher level of skill and more instant excitement. Both are fantastic.

I happen to prefer both Union and Tests, but that's not to say I won't follow and watch the other. In fact, that's the best thing about Super League taking place during the Summer - I can now watch rugby 52 weeks a year!

Union shits all over league.

League is too predictable, like of ball contest, scrums, lineouts etc you might as well call it rugby lite. I can imagine union players were paid 100 years ago the mungo code wouldn't exist and union would dominate the bush and not have this stupid class war that exists.

As long as they bring attractive rugby it's ok for me.
Last S14 season I saw some awfull games, and those teams had some of the better international players.

Right now? League is a far batter spectacle for me. I think the league players are more talented and union just seems a bit too boring. The Tri Nations this year was terrible, the game was decided far too much by penalty goals. Also, I'm sick of this over saturation. Playing the teams 3 times is just ridiculous. I think you should look at league's 4 nations, when teams just play each other once. It makes you look forward to every game. Overall, I think union though. Union will win me back but it just doesn't have it right now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 28 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think you should look at league's 4 nations, when teams just play each other once. It makes you look forward to every game.[/b]

Completely agree with you on this.

I'm sorry... Did you just say the international game in League is better/stronger then Union?

bwahaha.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (amobokobokoboko @ Oct 28 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Oct 28 2009, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you should look at league's 4 nations, when teams just play each other once. It makes you look forward to every game.[/b]

Completely agree with you on this.
[/b][/quote]

I didn't that, I just liek the concept of 4 nations a lot when it comes to League

I didnt think there was an international game in league.

Not being ratty here (they are two seperate games) but isnt it just Australia hammering everyone, and NewZealand beating England into third place (out of three) every time?

Nope, its changed to Oz and New Zealand playing eachother in a competitive game then one taking the weekend off while the other hammers England.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Oct 25 2009, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I will respond to this cos I didn't take part in the last debate.

Basically, there should be no League vs Union. They're both great sports; the two greatest 'winter' team sports in the world. And they're brother sports. I cannot understand the hate there is between them; I think a lot of the time it comes from overly tribal people who don't take enough time to learn about the other.

Union is the most pure and all-round code of football there is. The whole game is a contest for posession, you have tall guys, short guys, fat guys and quick guys; kickers, tacklers, magicians... the whole hog. It's like the team version of mixed martial arts - any array of techniques can be combined.

League is more limited in this respect. However, what League offers is a more refined version of the game. The average League back will have a better footballing brain, slicker hands, and generally a higher skill set. The average League forward will be a better ball carrier and a more physical tackler (partly because of the laws...). But League players don't have to think about the breakdown, scrum, lineout or any other technical areas that Union has.

I like to think of the difference as similar to that between Test and T20 cricket. The Tests (Union) give you the pure, extended, high-intensity version of the game. The T20s (League) give a higher level of skill and more instant excitement. Both are fantastic.

I happen to prefer both Union and Tests, but that's not to say I won't follow and watch the other. In fact, that's the best thing about Super League taking place during the Summer - I can now watch rugby 52 weeks a year![/b]
This is probably the best reply. Well, at least the one that sums up my thoughts. League is stripped down and reformed rugby. It's great to watch for the hard hitting style that has evolved from it. However, I can't go to long watching it alone without missing the rucks, the mauls and the "strategery" (a little George W Bush quote for y'all) in Union.

The best way to look at the difference in skill set needed to play the different codes is to ask; How many players who have switched codes have made a sucess out of it? Not many so we should look at League and Union as two differernt sports as opposed to 2 versions of the same game then arguing which is best.

Iestyn Harris- One good game for Cardiff, useless at International Level
Andy Farrell- Couldnt work out his best position 6 or 13, thats like wondering which drink to have ? Ribena or Absinthe.
Vainikolo- One decent game for England

The only one who, as far as I can see it, made it good in the 15 man game was Jason Robinson.

Latest posts