• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

League Pools

T

tommowins

Can I ask why the hell are the best 4 teams in world Rugby League in the same pool. It seems ridiculous that PNG will miss out, when they should be one of the 4 teams in the semi's. Did they draw it out of a hat and just say oh well bad luck. Especially since PNG is the only country in the world with Rugby League as its national sport.

The whole thing is just a bit wtf to me.

:wall:

For the 50th time its so there arent any whitewash games and 100 point drubbings, so they want the most even groups to get the most even games, group 1's been fairly uneven when teams have played Australia.

Its a good format and a good idea, I think its been a success.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (QLD @ Nov 11 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:wall:

For the 50th time its so there arent any whitewash games and 100 point drubbings, so they want the most even groups to get the most even games, group 1's been fairly uneven when teams have played Australia.

Its a good format and a good idea, I think its been a success.[/b]

A success? Stadiums are all at least half empty. I fail to understand why in Australia RL doesn't attract more people in the stadiums.

Because they have marketed the tournament poorly for one.

I do think though that the tournament has been a success.

That's the biggest reason. I know you've been to a few games QLD and you may be going to the semi, but the Australian public as a whole have shown little support to the tournament unless Australia have been playing.

Because its so one-sided. who wants to see a game that ends up 50-nil with absolutely no chance of any underdog victory. It is so one-sided that they had to specially make the pools so that there are no thrashings and so everyone can feel nice and 'special'. Rugby League is not a world game. Only one country has it as its main sport.

Overall, the tournament is not a world cup as not enough countries are genuine contenders and are able to stand up against Australia. Sorry if this offended any avid league supporters.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tommowins @ Nov 13 2008, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Because its so one-sided. who wants to see a game that ends up 50-nil with absolutely no chance of any underdog victory. It is so one-sided that they had to specially make the pools so that there are no thrashings and so everyone can feel nice and 'special'. Rugby League is not a world game. Only one country has it as its main sport.

Overall, the tournament is not a world cup as not enough countries are genuine contenders and are able to stand up against Australia. Sorry if this offended any avid league supporters.[/b]

Last year during the RU World Cup there were many unbalanced matches; there were always big crowds and most of them were actualy sold out.

Aussie RL fans haven't been showing up to NRL games either. It was a bad place to hold the tournament as it seems attendence hasn't been matching the games supposed popularity in recent times.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 14 2008, 12:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tommowins @ Nov 13 2008, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Overall, the tournament is not a world cup as not enough countries are genuine contenders and are able to stand up against Australia. Sorry if this offended any avid league supporters.[/b]

Last year during the RU World Cup there were many unbalanced matches; there were always big crowds and most of them were actualy sold out.
[/b][/quote]

However you had your fair share of upsets too with Argentina playing fantastically as well as Georgia almost beating Ireland and of course, Fiji's magnificent victory over Wales. In effect only a couple of teams got absolutely rolled, naming a few: USA, Japan, Pool C apart from NZL and Namibia. In my opinion only 7 out of 20 teams being poor is a relatively good strike rate for a World Cup only having 6 tournaments. RWC 2011 is looking to be a great tournament and the game is growing more equal at a rapid rate.

In RWC 2003 2 teams reached over 100 points in one match (Aus and Eng I think) and RWC 2007 had only 1 team reach over 100 points (NZL). To put it even more in perspective the amount of teams in a match reaching 50 points or more in RWC 2003 was 16 and in RWC 2007 was 12. Who knows in RWC 2011 no teams could get over 100 points in a match and only 8 reach over 50.

Rugby Union is providing more exciting international rugby than League with closer scorelines, more upsets and more teams having a chance of making it to the finals. This is something League does not deliver with Australia having odds at $1.13 to win the Leauge World Cup, according to TAB NZL. So yeah...

(I am stats man)

I don't think Don Billy is trying to argue that the League world cup is in anyway superior to the union competition. It isn't. The fact of the matter is that league (in this country anyway) has not recovered fully from the abuse received at the hands of the RFU for almost the whole part of the period 1910 - 1996. The ban on the armed forces not being allowed to play league was particularly damaging as it meant that the sport wasn't spread to areas that union was.

It's not current union's fault, but it's still a very big reason why the League world cup is nowhere near on the level of the union one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (St Helens RLFC @ Nov 15 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think Don Billy is trying to argue that the League world cup is in anyway superior to the union competition. It isn't. The fact of the matter is that league (in this country anyway) has not recovered fully from the abuse received at the hands of the RFU for almost the whole part of the period 1910 - 1996. The ban on the armed forces not being allowed to play league was particularly damaging as it meant that the sport wasn't spread to areas that union was.

It's not current union's fault, but it's still a very big reason why the League world cup is nowhere near on the level of the union one.[/b]

Indeed, I appreciated many of the matches played during this RL WC. My point is that it looks like the Australian didn't properly promote this event. I remember that for the RWC 2003 the ARU did their best to get the Australian more aware of this competition, do you remeber they managed that the Australian adopted a second team to support. I remember France - Japan being played in a front of a decent crowd who were cheering the japanese although there were only a few japanese in the stadium.

In general Test Rugby League has been very badly promoted for twenty years and the big Rugby League organizations didn't help the development of this code outside of their own turf. Besides that, it's true that there was a Cold War between the two codes and RL didn't win it for sure.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Nov 17 2008, 05:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Indeed, I appreciated many of the matches played during this RL WC. My point is that it looks like the Australian didn't properly promote this event. I remember that for the RWC 2003 the ARU did their best to get the Australian more aware of this competition, do you remeber they managed that the Australian adopted a second team to support. I remember France - Japan being played in a front of a decent crowd who were cheering the japanese although there were only a few japanese in the stadium.

In general Test Rugby League has been very badly promoted for twenty years and the big Rugby League organizations didn't help the development of this code outside of their own turf. Besides that, it's true that there was a Cold War between the two codes and RL didn't win it for sure.[/b]

The NRL had the problem it was also the Centenery as well, and I think the NRL assumed that promoting that would lead into a successful world cup. The other issue is boredom. There was only going to be three sides with any realistic chance of winning it. No smokies in the pack. Australia, England New Zealand. So basically everyone was waiting for the semi finals to decide which way the final will go