• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leamy out for the rest if the season

Good call Snoopy, has looked class whenever I have seen him play, maybe a bit too soon though, guys like Williams, Coughlan, Holland and O'Donnell all ahead of him atm.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 24 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is he registered for Heineken Cup action? I doubt Munster would give him that much game time in the league if not.[/b]
I'd have to check but I don't think he's registered. As far as I'm aware he can be added to the squad as an injury replacement though (I think teams have 2 or 3 "medical jokers").

I don't think non-selection for the Heineken Cup squad should prohibit a player from gaining experience in a low key Magners League game - look at Ian McKinley who's not registered by Leinster yet he's started a game at 10 in the ML when Leinster could have picked Shaun Berne or Isa Nacewa there. Come next year when Jonny Sexton will be rested more often due to Ireland commitments, that'll stand to him. Picking O'Mahony could bring a huge long term gain whereas persisting with Nick Williams, Niall Ronan or James Coughlan will only get you so far. They're not bad players (well Ronan isn't anyway!) but they're not going to add anything to a full strength Munster team. O'Mahony has the talent to do just that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 24 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good call Snoopy, has looked class whenever I have seen him play, maybe a bit too soon though, guys like Williams, Coughlan, Holland and O'Donnell all ahead of him atm.[/b]
What do you think of Coughlin and Holland as players? Neither impress me too much but I've never really paid them too much attention. Coughlin is a limited player who maximises his ability (in many ways like Stephen Keogh at Leinster) while Holland suffers from an acute case of Simon Easterby syndrome of doing lots of "unseen" work. I'll agree that O'Donnell is a terrific prospect but is he more of a 7? It could be a bold move to put him in at 7 (ahead of Niall Ronan) and move David Wallace to 8.

Bold, but probably unwise. Going out with an 8 who has proven he doesn't perform there and an untested 7 probably doesn't sound like that good an idea. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know that much about the yound talent coming up at Munster but I'll be very interested to see who steps up .

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 24 2009, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Bold, but probably unwise. Going out with an 8 who has proven he doesn't perform there and an untested 7 probably doesn't sound like that good an idea. I'm not gonna lie, I don't know that much about the yound talent coming up at Munster but I'll be very interested to see who steps up .[/b]
I agree. If Munster were to test something like that out, they must do so in a couple of Magners League games. I'm 90% sure they'll just plug Nick Williams in at 8.

Nick Williams is a fatty and he's had one and a half good matches ever.

Niall Ronan isn't big enough and I don't like Wally at 8.

Coughlan is good but not great. And he's like 28 now...

Peter O'Mahony's meant to be class. Was he the U-20 captain last year? Should give him a magners match or two.

Billy Holland aint that good.

Tommy O'Donnell is a flanker. Again you'd have to move Wally to 8 to fit him...he's the one most likely tpo bre a revalation if there was to be one.

Ryan is a second row.

Leamy had a good match two weeks ago and a class match last week. I was putting Sean O'Brien ahead of him on the Ireland bench before that but it's no major loss on an Ireland level because O'Brien will still cover the backrow from the bench.

Kick in the balls for Munster though.

Agree with monkey we have no natural #8 who is H'Cup standard.

I'd go for Ronan or O'Donnell. I think Ryan is only able for #6 in back-row so for him to enter Quinny would have to move and that wont happen.
Fact O'Mahony has got very little experience is major factor against him but guaranteed he get a full cap for Ireland.

Monkey agree too that Sean O'Brien would probably have got on to bench as he is more versatile but what'll happen Jennings when his suspension is up, I think it could be bad move by Leinster to break up current back-row as they all young and outstanding.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 25 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Agree with monkey we have no natural #8 who is H'Cup standard.[/b]
Nick Williams has the talent to cover for Leamy but I question his application. He appears to be woefully out of shape for a pro rugby player and his attitude also carries huge question marks (as demonstrated by his supposed actions when on Dolphin duty a couple of months ago).

Yep, i heard basically he's been mad for the lash since he's been over. It looked like he was sharpening himself up for a while in sept/oct but.......

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Dec 25 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yep, i heard basically he's been mad for the lash since he's been over. It looked like he was sharpening himself up for a while in sept/oct but.......[/b]
Look Nick Williams can be great but it not speculation if he was playing half as well as he is tackling women and booze off the field even Jamie Heaslip would be in his shadow :lol: but reality is that he has a crap attitude and is getting too much opportunities and screwing up

Latest posts