• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Learning a Language

best_fullback

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Bristol
Right, I want to learn Spanish. I have always wanted to learn a language and I definitely want to learn at least one or two more than my native tongue in my lifetime.

Has anyone learned another language? and if so, what did you use?

My brothers girlfriend recommended me www.babbel.com; an online speech-recognition site that teaches and scores your use of the language. It costs £5 per month if I use it for 6 months. I was just wondering if anyone has had success with any other forms of self-taught language? I know about programs such as Rosetta Stone, but I am on a budget, so forking out £100+ isn't going to be possible.

Any help will be appreciated guys! :)

When my parents learnt French they went to evening classes at the local college - not sure how viable that would be for you

I know that Rosetta Stone is pretty pants for actually learning a language - it's more of a phrase learner/flashcard type thing (it'll show a screen of pictures, then read out a phrase, and you click on the picture that corresponds, and things like that) - alright for increasing vocab, but not much else

When my parents learnt French they went to evening classes at the local college - not sure how viable that would be for you

I know that Rosetta Stone is pretty pants for actually learning a language - it's more of a phrase learner/flashcard type thing (it'll show a screen of pictures, then read out a phrase, and you click on the picture that corresponds, and things like that) - alright for increasing vocab, but not much else

College classes may be viable if I can find some! :p Are your parents fluent?

My Mom pretty much is now, and my Dad gets by
They do live in France 6months out of the year though, so that obviously helps

The college courses really helped though, gave them the basics and structure etc. and then the rest was just learning the words for different things

Advice for anyone learning Afrikaans:

My marks went from 30-50% to 65-80% upon learning the golden rule of learning Afrikaans with English as your base language.
Simply learn as many words as possible, then when constructing a sentence, simply put the words into the least understandable order as possible in English, then translate.
Try to keep pronouns to the front, although not first

It works!

And as for negative, the more 'nie's the better! You'll either get it right or be pitied

Hi mate,

I followed a Hindi, Polish course via audio cd's ( result: you know a wee bit of the language and it does require more e.g. course book, excercices etc... to master the language)

Last year I followed a level 1 Polish course at University and because my inlaws are Polish I do have the chance to practice, I'm a very basic speaker but I dare to speak and people understand me.

Hindi, well I started a cricket club and I'm the only non-native hindi speaker, so plenty of opportunities to practice.

At work we have access to a site Altvisa.com to study or improve French, Spanish,English, Dutch and German.
It's audio, excercices and I like it a lot.

For Spanish I would advise you to have a look online for free sites that offer a course, get a dictionary and some audio cd's and if you really like the language and you find the time and money for it, just enroll in a course. I paid 120 EUR for one year of Polish (3 hours a week) or you could try to date a Spanish, S-american girl ;)

Good luck with the language course

What I forgot to add. There are many ways to learn a language but the best excercice is to practice as much as you can.
It also depends on what you want to learn. My level 1 Polish allows me to have a random chat, order food and ask the way.
If you do chose the follow a class don't put your expectations to high. Last year my colleagues were stressing about every word, komma, point in a phrase which caused very long and boring classes+. Don't want to encourage you, but if you enroll you will be in a group were everybody has another reason to learn the language and depending on the teacher he/she will be (un)able to find the perfect balance.

Quiet tricky, you have Nominativ, akkusativ, Genutiv, Dativ.
Practice and Practice. Taht's the way I learnt it at school.

To become fluent in Afriaaks you need to add "Ja" after every 3-4 words.

What I forgot to add. There are many ways to learn a language but the best excercice is to practice as much as you can.
It also depends on what you want to learn. My level 1 Polish allows me to have a random chat, order food and ask the way.
If you do chose the follow a class don't put your expectations to high. Last year my colleagues were stressing about every word, komma, point in a phrase which caused very long and boring classes+. Don't want to encourage you, but if you enroll you will be in a group were everybody has another reason to learn the language and depending on the teacher he/she will be (un)able to find the perfect balance.

Thanks Amobokoboko, your advice is great :)

Just a general question for any of our Irish users, do any of you guys know anywhere in the Dublin area that does Russian language courses. I really want to stay in the physics field after completing my degree and most people who end up having a physics degree end up doing something completely different. Adding the language of the other great space and physics power would be a great asset to have on the old cv.

I learnt Pashto for work..... A very very hard language!!!!! Post it notes stuck on pictures and objects around the house with the name in the language you want will help with the day to day items and objects, but the best way to learn is constantly speak it. so if you can get someone to learn it with you, then whenever you speak to them it cannot be in English. Just the language you want to learn. Great as as well as learning what to say, your trying to construct a sentence and conversation that the other can understand and vice versa!

Reading the local newspapers helps as well. El Pais is a decent journal, not too diffcult and you can always start with the sportsection.
I'm also refreshing my Spanish and occasionally I'm reading the site of the Argentina national side. I also have one native spanish co-worker and another one who speaks Spanish as well.
Good fun.

I learnt Pashto for work..... A very very hard language!!!!! Post it notes stuck on pictures and objects around the house with the name in the language you want will help with the day to day items and objects, but the best way to learn is constantly speak it. so if you can get someone to learn it with you, then whenever you speak to them it cannot be in English. Just the language you want to learn. Great as as well as learning what to say, your trying to construct a sentence and conversation that the other can understand and vice versa!

I always thought that the Afghani languague was simular to Urdu?

There is about 45 different Languages spoke in Afghan, with Hundreds of Dialects, The two official ones are Dari and Pashto. Pashto has local and regional dialects as well which was a struggle to overcome, Plus it didnt help when I downloaded a Pack of the internet and half way through my course realised that it was Pakistani Pashto and Not Afghani Pashto........
All in all I really enjoyed learning the language and how diffrent Grammer effects the whole conversation.

Latest posts