• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leicester Tigers Thread

Steve Borthwick to be Leicester new head coach:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51188455

I know this was trailed, but that's a massive gamble.

It would be a hard gig for anyone, but Borthwick has precisely no club experience. Did he even take a session at Brizzle before decamping to England? Everyday coaching at club level needs a very different skillset to the international game.

In public he comes across as a very dour uninspiring character. May be totally different behind closed doors but you can't really imagine him lifting the place.

I know this was trailed, but that's a massive gamble.

It would be a hard gig for anyone, but Borthwick has precisely no club experience. Did he even take a session at Brizzle before decamping to England? Everyday coaching at club level needs a very different skillset to the international game.

In public he comes across as a very dour uninspiring character. May be totally different behind closed doors but you can't really imagine him lifting the place.
Yeah, what I would say is though... he seems the perfect foil to Murphy. Most great sporting coaching teams have that sort of dynamic between the top two so who knows.

We'll see how it goes, but Murphy hasn't impressed really. Maybe change of role will help, but I'm not jumping for joy.

Love all the club legend / loyalty stuff but if Murphy's serious about coaching he needs to spread his wings and go learn his trade elsewhere. He who only Leicester knows and all that.

Sure he and Borthwick are contrasting personalities, and you've got the line out geek and free wheeling full back contrast too. But whether they actually have the complimentary coaching / managerial skill sets to put Tigers back on the right path I very much doubt.

Leicester at least now (as do a few others) have an opportunity to experiment in the knowledge relegation is not a worry this season.

So Tigers in the last 12 months got
A new CEO
3 BOD left 2 came in
A new Head of recruitment
A new Head coach and new forwards coach
A new Attack Coach
The Attack coach moved to Defence coach
The former head of recruitment has moved back to pathway development
44 players leaving from the senior and development squad.

A proper gutting

Last edited:
So Tigers in the last 12 months got
A new CEO
3 BOD left 2 came in
A new Head of recruitment
A new Head coach and new forwards coach
A new Attack Coach
The Attack coach moved to Defence coach
The former head of recruitment has moved back to pathway development
44 players leaving from the senior and development squad.

A proper gutting
Aled will have ye like new men after summer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53221780

Maybe Manu will end up in France after all?

Aye interested to see who goes.
Not too worried.
At least this **** has timed with us having a extremely good last 4 years with the academy.
Worst case is that we will have to finish this season with a very young squad. (which we are already 11th and can't be relegated so not too much of a loss)

Like those 5 players alone prob free 1.6 million in money.

I hope without Manu and Veainu the club has to have a gameplan which isn't give it too Manu or Veainu
Which is what it has felt like since Mauger came in really.

Borthwick seems like the type of person who would make one given that as a forwards coach his main goal will be forwards first.

Well it wouldn't totally surprise me to see Nadolo in midfield ... he's played a fair bit of 13.

That said, while Matt Scott is no Tuilagi, I do think he's underrated. He did well at Gloucester last time he was in the Premiership and I'd expect him to be quietly good for Tigers.

So currently Tigers team looking like currently
Loosehead: Genge, Leatigaga, Van Wyk, Whitcombe, Seb Smith
Hooker: Montoya, Youngs, Clare, Dolly, Vanes
Tighthead: Cole, Heyes, Hurd, Rowntree, Hoyt
Locks: Green, Wells, Snyman, Henderson, Manz, Lewis Chessum
Blindside: Liebenberg, Martin, Ollie Chessum
Openside: Van Staden, Reffell,
Ilione
Number 8: Wiese, Brink, Thom Smith

Scrum Half: Youngs, Van Poortvliet, Wigglesworth, Law, Edwards
Fly Half: Ford, Burns
Inside Centre: Kelly, Scott, Socino
Outside Centre: Moroni, Porter, Taute,
Cusick
Wing: Potter, Nadolo, Murimurivalu, Van Wyk, Simmons, Olowofela, Aspland-Robinson, Browning
Full back: Steward, Hegarty, Worth

Overall coming together nicely.
Reckon we still need a prop, Lock (or backrower and move Martin to lock), and another utility back.

Rumour is we are looking at Dan Lancaster also (if it happens i'm going to have to delete some posts)

Latest posts