Leicester v Ospreys

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Leicester.png
V
Ospreys.png
</div>

Not the first time these sides have met, so we could be in for another tight match on Sunday. The Ospreys could well have been blown out of the water in the opening quarter of last season's opener but would ultimately be kicking themselves for not getting the win. Another close one is anticipated this weekend.

The Ospreys had plenty of injury concerns ahead of their trip to Welford Rd, there were doubts over Byrne and Bowe but they've been named in the side, but Duncan Jones does miss out.

Mauger is back in the starting lineup. Harry Ellis is back in for Grindal, not sure that's a positive for Leicester. Front row is a lot stronger than last week's so they should have the edge on the Ospreys especially with both Jones' ruled out. Battle of the backrows should be great though.

Leicester: 15. Scott Hamilton, 14. Matt Smith, 13. Dan Hipkiss, 12. Aaron Mauger, 11. Johne Murphy, 10. Jeremy Staunton, 9. Harry Ellis, 1. Marcos Ayerza, 2. George Chuter, 3. Julian White, 4. Louis Deacon, 5. Ben Kay, 6. Tom Croft, 7. Lewis Moody, 8. Jordan Crane

Replacements: 16. Joe Duffey, 17. Boris Stankovich, 18. Martin Castrogiovanni, 19. Geoff Parling, 20. Craig Newby, 21. Ben Youngs, 22. Anthony Allen, 23. Lucas Amorosino

Ospreys: 15. Lee Byrne, 14. Nikki Walker, 13. Tommy Bowe, 12. James Hook, 11. Shane Williams, 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Mike Phillips, 1. Paul James, 2. Huw Bennett, 3. Cai Griffiths, 4. Alun Wyn Jones, 5. Jonathan Thomas, 6. Jerry Collins, 7. Marty Holah, 8. Ryan Jones

Replacements: 16. Richard Hibbard, 17. Craig Mitchell, 18. Ryan Bevington, 19. Ian Gough, 20. Filo Tiatia, 21. Jamie Nutbrown, 22. Andrew Bishop, 23. Sonny Parker

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 9 2009, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ospreys: 15. Lee Byrne, 14. Nikki Walker, 13. Tommy Bowe, 12. James Hook, 11. Shane Williams, 10. Dan Biggar, 9. Mike Phillips[/b]
That's potentially a great backline and can do untold damage if, and it's a big if, their forwards get them enough ball.

Been saying that about the sprays for about 5 years now though.

Still they had a good win against one of the Scottish teams (cant remember which) and Leicester have been stumbling along also looking for form, so you never know. May see a surprise here.

they may not be scoring much but they're conceding **** all as well, so the Ospreys will need plenty of quality ball to do damage.

Trudging down to Welford Road to watch this one. The Ospreys squad looks excellent, with the one exception of Cai Griffish. Couldn't we just play a squirrel in the front row instead, it's do the same damage.

Duncan Jones being injured is a big minus.

Cai Griffiths again?!!?! The O's will be demolished in the scrum against the kinda front row Leicester have! Why the f**k isn't Craig Mitchell playing? God I hate the coaches sometimes, what do they see in Cai Griffiths? He can't scrum, he doesn't carry ball, and I don't see him doing that much around the pitch! Arrrgg. I'd also have Hibbard starting with Bennett on the bench, but maybe Bennett is a better scrumager to help Cai out?

Apart from those two selections though, the rest is spot on. Jonathan Thomas adds another back rower to the pack at second row. Although I can't understand why Ian Evans isn't on the bench in front of Ian Gough. I was fit for the bech last weekend, why not this? Infact the bench is slightly odd, two centres? Suppose both Hook and Bowe can move if necessary. But I would have had Owen on the bench in front of Parker for his sheer flexibility.

Should be close, but because of Cai Griffiths, we'll loose.

The Ospreys backline is pretty impressive. Three very decent kicking options, which will come in handy for territory purposes. Hopefully we'll see an upset!

Number four onwards, the starting XV is pretty impressive. Two and downwards, it's alright. Three ruins the entire squad. Someone land a massive hit on Griffith so he gets injured and they get carded in the first minute.

As for having two centres, Andrew Bishop can play on the wing as well as centre, plus Bowe and Hook can both cover Fullback and obviously wing and Fly-Half. Does seem odd, though. I'd have Owen in for Parker, and Tom Isaacs for Nutbrown. He's a fantastic player from what I've seen- Which is very little, due to the Ospreys for some reason never choosing him.

great start from Leicester, lovely break from Allen, too many missed tackles from the Ospreys and finished off by Murphy. Nikki Walker's defence really left a lot to be desired.

Allen beautifully slid through the defense, like greenwood said, Biggar exposed defensively there. terrific lead for Leicester early on

lovely pass from Hook, great line from Biggar and well finished from Williams. Was coming in fairness.

Drop goal by Biggar

16-8

Tigers need to keep the ball in the Ospreys 22 for a bit and slow the Osp's momentum.

turning into a nightmare now for the Tigers, gifting Bowe a try under the posts. Pathetic pass from Staunton.

23-8 Ospreys 32 mins

The best sight in the world, depressed Tigers fans. That and Rob Key's face when Somerset were destroying Kent in the 20/20 semi. But I digress

chance to extend the lead after the Tigers don't release, Biggar makes no mistake.

26-8 Ospreys 35 mins

Byrne fails to take the garryowen of Staunton and Twelvetrees finishes well.

Penalty restart on the half way line after a brain fart from Phillips, penalty hits the posts.

26-15 Ospreys 38 mins.

misses the second kick from the half way line, could have been a very interesting game had both kicks gone over.

26-15 Ospreys HT

Latest posts