• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster announce new signings

Lads, cannot wait to see Carr in the Blue once more, what a cracking player. I can see this guy as a regular in the 23 next season.
He has what Leinster lack, all out Pace!!!

No so sure about the other signings, With all this money we're gettin in with the Aviva games, surely we can afford to spend a few bob on a
world class 2nd row... Sykes, never heard of him like?

Lads, cannot wait to see Carr in the Blue once more, what a cracking player. I can see this guy as a regular in the 23 next season.

No so sure about the other signings, With all this money we're gettin in with the Aviva games, surely we can afford to spend a few bob on a

Who do you have in mind? All the the All Blacks and Springboks have signed up for next season already.

Personally I would have liked to see us go after Richie Gray.

I'm hoping to see Toner make a break through next season much like Mike Ross did this season...

Toner isn't good enough to be Heineken Cup starter. McLaughlin could be Cullens partner next year

Nobody thought Ross would ever do anything useful look where he is now, Toner could progress due to Leo being gone for the WC period then he might get some game time.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sens e i just got off a plane.

Steven Sykes is a very good lock.... even if you haven't heard of him ;) He may not be world class, but if he had come from any country apart from South Africa he would likely have had a few test caps to his name by now, but unfortunately he has been stuck behind the world class pair of Bakkies Botha and Victor Matfield, and other top quality locks in Danie Rossouw and Andries Bekker. He does the basics very well and is also a good ball carrier. I have no doubt he will be a great addition to Leinster.

Nobody thought Ross would ever do anything useful look where he is now, Toner could progress due to Leo being gone for the WC period then he might get some game time.

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sens e i just got off a plane.

Harlequins fans were not happy to see Ross go and never were. It was always pretty obvious if he could sort out form and workrate his scrummaging would make him useful.

In fairness, I'd say its pretty evident if Toner can be average at the rest of his game, his lineout work will make him useful. The only problem is he'd have to up that too. Not a good enough counter-jumper for my money. He needs to be nearing Matfield levels of "Your ball is our ball" for him to be like Mike Ross.

King Darcy gave the best description of Toner one day..

"like a horse standing on its back legs"

I think he just cant get low enough in the contact to make any good ground ..everytime he runs he presents a huge target for defenders.

t
King Darcy gave the best description of Toner one day..

"like a horse standing on its back legs"

I think he just cant get low enough in the contact to make any good ground ..everytime he runs he presents a huge target for defenders.

Yeah he's just a big lanky horse really. His height is a disadvantage. munstermuff mentioned Kev McLaughlin as a potential second row for next year... I missed the match yesterday but by the sound of things he played out of his bloody skin. Him and toner were playing in the 2nd row. I think if Kev moved to 2nd row for next season it could do wonders for his career. He could potentially go to the world cup as a 2nd row.

Yeah Not overly lanky .. well built and a very destructive tackler ..he is what is needed from one of your second rows

t

Yeah he's just a big lanky horse really. His height is a disadvantage. munstermuff mentioned Kev McLaughlin as a potential second row for next year... I missed the match yesterday but by the sound of things he played out of his bloody skin. Him and toner were playing in the 2nd row. I think if Kev moved to 2nd row for next season it could do wonders for his career. He could potentially go to the world cup as a 2nd row.
Supposedly it's between Kev McLaughlin and Donnacha Ryan for a spot where both cover backrow and lock.
But Leinster would benefit too from McLaughlin at lock as they have too many backrow players (All Young)
And poor choice at lock (With exception of Cullen and Hines, Who leaves)

I presume Dan Tuohy is ahead of both of the boys in the pecking order anyway? If he's not it's a bloody travesty.

I'd love to see my boy K-Mac in the world cup squad. He has an outside chance. How many second rows and back rows will they be taking?

I'd take 4 and and a backrow player who could cover:

POC
Leo
Donners
Tuohy

Cover: Hopefully McLoughlin, but probably Ryan considering Kidney's love of all things Munster.

Sykes is a very good player. For next season we have Cullen, McLoughlin, Sykes, Toner and Browne to cover the second row which is more than enough. Browne has been very good for Brive as well from what I've heard. So essentially we're getting a regular for one of the best sides in the super 15 and a regular from a top 14 side alongside Cullen, McLoughlin and Toner. Browne could be a dark horse for being an incredible signing, at 128kg and being used to top 14 rugby he could rip up the Magners if he gets going.

I presume Dan Tuohy is ahead of both of the boys in the pecking order anyway? If he's not it's a bloody travesty.

Hard to say as he always gets injured, but right now I can't advocate Tuohy for the Ireland squad. I think he's sodding lucky to be ahead of Tim Barker at the moment in fact.

Latest posts