• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster statement on new Head Coach...

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

I think this is worthy of a thread on its own rather than being lumped in with academy/A team news and interviews in the Leinster thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4216.php

Josef-Schmidt-2.gif

Leinster Rugby formally confirmed on Monday that Josef Schmidt, Assistant Coach to Clermont Auvergne ASM, will become Head Coach for season 2010/11 and has signed a three year deal... Schmidt will take over from Michael Cheika, who had previously announced that he would not renew his contract after five highly successful years with the province.

Josef Schmidt, aged 44, has been backs coach in Clermont in combination with fellow New Zealander Vern Cotter and during his spell with the French outfit the club has reached three successive French Championship finals.

He previously coached the Auckland Blues in the Super 14 and Bay of Plenty to win the prized Ranfurly Shield. A former Assistant Coach to the New Zealand Schools team for four seasons, Josef is also a former School Headmaster.

In addition, Schmidt spent a year in Ireland as a player in the early 1990's when he assisted the Mullingar Club in Leinster.

*Leinster will announce the remainder of the new coaching team in the coming months.[/b]
This had been rumoured for a month or so but was finally leaked earlier today when Schmidt admitted he was getting the job to the French press. It's a left of centre pick - Ian Foster was clear favourite for a long time. I thought they'd go for somebody with a proven track record as a head coach but Schmidt's coaching CV is pretty impressive, as is he style with which he likes his teams to play. I hope he takes Nalaga and Ledesma with him!

At least it's not Michael Bradley...............

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 28 2009, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think this is worthy of a thread on its own rather than being lumped in with academy/A team news and interviews in the Leinster thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/4216.php

Josef-Schmidt-2.gif

Leinster Rugby formally confirmed on Monday that Josef Schmidt, Assistant Coach to Clermont Auvergne ASM, will become Head Coach for season 2010/11 and has signed a three year deal... Schmidt will take over from Michael Cheika, who had previously announced that he would not renew his contract after five highly successful years with the province.

Josef Schmidt, aged 44, has been backs coach in Clermont in combination with fellow New Zealander Vern Cotter and during his spell with the French outfit the club has reached three successive French Championship finals.

He previously coached the Auckland Blues in the Super 14 and Bay of Plenty to win the prized Ranfurly Shield. A former Assistant Coach to the New Zealand Schools team for four seasons, Josef is also a former School Headmaster.

In addition, Schmidt spent a year in Ireland as a player in the early 1990's when he assisted the Mullingar Club in Leinster.

*Leinster will announce the remainder of the new coaching team in the coming months.[/b]
This had been rumoured for a month or so but was finally leaked earlier today when Schmidt admitted he was getting the job to the French press. It's a left of centre pick - Ian Foster was clear favourite for a long time. I thought they'd go for somebody with a proven track record as a head coach but Schmidt's coaching CV is pretty impressive, as is he style with which he likes his teams to play. I hope he takes Nalaga and Ledesma with him!

At least it's not Michael Bradley...............
[/b][/quote]

Good point...what have they got planned for him??

Must say I don't know a whole lot about this guy but if he resposible for way Clermont backs are playing he must be good like B.James was transformed in past few years and like Clermont have become a major side in Europe

Was common knowledge two or so weeks ago after Gaffney let it slip in that TV3 interview.

Havent a clue about him but he seems to have the pedigree. Much happier to go with the unknown then to see a promotion from within as it will keep the players on their toes.

I'd imagine Johnno Gibbs will see out the final year of his contract (this aint football) and I havent a clue how McQuilkins is at the moment. Either way, as I havent a clue I'll go with what the coach thinks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 29 2009, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Was common knowledge two or so weeks ago after Gaffney let it slip in that TV3 interview.

Havent a clue about him but he seems to have the pedigree. Much happier to go with the unknown then to see a promotion from within as it will keep the players on their toes.

I'd imagine Johnno Gibbs will see out the final year of his contract (this aint football) and I havent a clue how McQuilkins is at the moment. Either way, as I havent a clue I'll go with what the coach thinks.[/b]
Logorrhea I read few weeks ago in that article (The Times) that there might be 1 or 2 coach's brought in but I will be interested to see what signings he makes as I'd expect he'll bring in 1 star name

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 28 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Good point...what have they got planned for him??[/b]
No idea. I wouldn't mind him coming on board with Leinster in an assistant coaching capacity - he's gone stale at Connacht but still has something to offer.

All indications seem to point to Kurt McQuilkin leaving. A report on RTE.ie yesterday suggested he had another position lined up. I'd imagine he'll either follow Michael Cheika somewhere or, wildcard, could get the Connacht head coaching gig or an IRFU position, perhaps as u20s coach.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 29 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 28 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good point...what have they got planned for him??[/b]
No idea. I wouldn't mind him coming on board with Leinster in an assistant coaching capacity - he's gone stale at Connacht but still has something to offer.

All indications seem to point to Kurt McQuilkin leaving. A report on RTE.ie yesterday suggested he had another position lined up. I'd imagine he'll either follow Michael Cheika somewhere or, wildcard, could get the Connacht head coaching gig or an IRFU position, perhaps as u20s coach.
[/b][/quote]
Is Elwood not U.20's coach or do we reckon Elwood will be promoted to Connacht Top Job which may be good as he is Connacht true and true.

But read that Monkey that Schmidt has his own 2 or 3 coaches named to come in too to freshen things up.

And although I hope he never manages Munster I'd welcome Bradley in as Backs coach as he has good ideas just hasn't the steel to be head coach at a big province

Clermont and Leinster do play similar styles of rugby, so hopefully he can keep them going in the right direction. Signing a decent hooker (Cronin) should be a priority for Leinster though.

Will be interesting to find out who he is working with though, he apparently knows Gibbes well so would expect to see him stay on, hopefully he gives some Irish coach a job, although it's doubtful it will be Bradley as Schmidt wont need a backs coach surely. Likely he will head to Munster if he is going anywhere.

Would be nice to have Elwood, McQuilkin and Niall O'Donnovan all at Connacht next season, and if you could get Matt Williams in as Director of rugby as Snoopy suggested it would be fantastic. All the IRFU would need to do is encourage Connacht to prioritise signing young Irish players and give Munster, Leinster and Ulster some incentive to send their youngsters who are getting no game time to Connacht for a season or two and we would be getting somewhere.

The u20s coach is Allen Clarke. Clarke was run out of the Ulster setup after falling out with half the players. The evidence I've seen of his u20 team last year is that he employs a rigid coaching style which puts results over player development. The backline didn't fire at all yet 6 months on, a number of that backline have played for Leinster, Ulster or Munster in either the Magners League or pre-season.

I'd rather the u20s gig was given to somebody who allowed the players play to the maximum of their ability. If you have backs like Conway, Macken and O'Halloran, get them the f'n ball and don't play it tight among the forwards because it's supposedly the most effective way to win.

I could be completely wrong and Clarke could be a wonderful coach but I'd rather see Kurt McQuilkin, Colin McEntee or a raft of promising AIL coaches look after the Ireland u20 team.

Of the other points I've read in a couple of previous posts, I'd put signing Sean Cronin as an absolute priority. If they can't get him, a two year contract for somebody like Marius Tincu would be a good addition. Leinster need a hooker and if they can't get the most promising hooker in Ireland (Cronin) a short deal for a proven hooker (like Tincu) while Jason Harris Wright develops at Connacht (assuming he goes there) is the next best solution in my opinion. A hooker and a backup 8 should be top of Josef Schmidt's shopping list.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 29 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and if you could get Matt Williams in as Director of rugby as Snoopy suggested it would be fantastic.[/b]
Matt Williams will not come back for anything less then a top job in a team that is ready to compete. Hes said a few times he has no interest in building a team up again, hes done enough of that and is happy to sit back and either wait for the right job, or stay out of work all together if that doesnt come.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 29 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 29 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and if you could get Matt Williams in as Director of rugby as Snoopy suggested it would be fantastic.[/b]
Matt Williams will not come back for anything less then a top job in a team that is ready to compete. Hes said a few times he has no interest in building a team up again, hes done enough of that and is happy to sit back and either wait for the right job, or stay out of work all together if that doesnt come.
[/b][/quote]
Lets not forget he probably gettin top dollar for TV coverage and wont come cheaply which leads to Connachts main problem .... who'll fund it if the Coaching team MunsterMan has suggested was taken seriously. But also I'd be very surprised if Cronin stayed at Connacht beyond this season and think Leinster will get him as Munster will have Flannery for 3more years (at level he at now) but well only thing I'd worry about is Fla is becoming bit injury prone and Cronin is Munster bred so should we pounce.

Also Snoop on note about a back-up #8 surely ye have plenty there like ye seem to have a wealth of back-row prospects coming through.

Also when do we reckon Connacht will make the decision as whoever is coming in should be given time to plan

given Setanta's financial situation he's not on top dollar for his tv work, he'd be earning far more money in a coaching gig than he would for sporadic appearances on Setanta.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Dec 30 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
given Setanta's financial situation he's not on top dollar for his tv work, he'd be earning far more money in a coaching gig than he would for sporadic appearances on Setanta.[/b]
But Setanta Ireland was seperate to 1 that went bust (2 separate companies within 1) they not struggling financially but he has other media interests too.

Also have just heard on radio Leinster confirm Gaffney is leaving Leinster set-up and Kurt McQuilkin is leaving for southern hemisphere but while no backroom team has been announced yet Jono Gibbes will be part of the newly formed backroom staff

Signed a playing contract with the Ospreys 4 years ago, and never showed up. Totally f***ed us over.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 30 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Signed a playing contract with the Ospreys 4 years ago, and never showed up. Totally f***ed us over.[/b]
Oh actually remember that and he stayed on at Waikato but ye were kinda lucky as fella had no luck with injury.

I think he will stay with Leinster as his reputation as a coach isn't massive yet

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 30 2009, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 30 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Signed a playing contract with the Ospreys 4 years ago, and never showed up. Totally f***ed us over.[/b]
Oh actually remember that and he stayed on at Waikato but ye were kinda lucky as fella had no luck with injury.

I think he will stay with Leinster as his reputation as a coach isn't massive yet
[/b][/quote]
Wasn't lucky for the director of ours who lost his job over the fiasco.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 30 2009, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Also have just heard on radio ................. Kurt McQuilkin is leaving for southern hemisphere[/b]
What station did you hear this on? There's nothing on LF.com thus far which is why I ask. McQuilkin probably will leave but I haven't heard any confirmation yet. If McQuilkin goes, Chris Whitaker could be a candidate to replace him.

As for Gibbes, I remember the Ospreys fiasco. Wasn't it a last minute decision which left the Neath/Swansea team in disarray? He's doing a great job at Leinster, particularly with the backrow. Sean O'Brien, Kevin McLaughlin and Jamie Heaslip have made huge strides while Dominic Ryan, Paul Ryan and Rhys Ruddock are others who've benefitted from his coaching of the flankers and 8s. Devin Toner, John Fogarty, Stan Wright and Cian Healy are other forwards who've upped their game considerably in the last 18 months.

Hopefully Schmidt will promote some home grown coaches in his staff. Expanded roles for Reggie Corrigan and Emmett Farrell would be a good start.

Latest posts