• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Cardiff Blues

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Leinster.png
Cardiff.png

Leinster v Cardiff Blues</div>

Leinster like Glasgow have a great chance to strengthen their position in the league this week with the Ospreys and Munster facing off, it's a been a reasonable Christmas period for Leinster, no scintilating performances but certainly job done and given the recent form of Ulster that win in Ravenhill doesn't look too shabby.

Leinster will be without Shane Jennings whose been suspended for 3 weeks following his citing in the Connacht match while the Blues will be without Ben Blair.

Leo Cullen returns to skipper the Leinster team after he dislocated his shoulder in the pool game against Wasps at the RDS last October. CJ is back in the front row while Jennings' loss is O'Brien's gain as he lines up in the backrow alongside Heaslip and Rocky.

The Blues welcome back Xavier Rush and Jamie Roberts, but neither will start having been named on the bench.

It'll be interesting to see if either side is distracted by next week's Heineken Cup games, given that for Leinster it's certainly a make or break win, not so much so for the Blues but they'll be itching to secure their qualification as well.

Should be a home win but there's always that lingering doubt with Leinster.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Leo Cullen returns from injury to captain the side and is included in a strong pack which also sees the return of CJ van der Linde from injury. Cullen partners Devin Toner at second row, while Sean O'Brien starts in the back-row alongside Rocky Elsom and Jamie Heaslip.

In the backline, Brian O'Driscoll partners Felipe Contepomi, with Shane Horgan starting on the right wing and Gordon D'Arcy moving to the left and Rob Kearney continuing at full-back.

Meanwhile, Ireland trio Girvan Dempsey, Luke Fitzgerald and Malcolm O'Kelly are named on a strong replacements bench.

There will be a 'Family Day' from 6pm featuring the Canterbury Roadshow, Leo the Lion, Bouncy Castles and the FM104 face-painters. Almost 14,000 tickets have been sold for Leinster's home fixture against Cardiff in the RDS on Saturday night. Tickets are still on sale from the usual outlets and can be purchased at the RDS from 5pm.

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Felipe Contepomi
11: Gordon D'Arcy
10: Isa Nacewa
9: Chris Whitaker

1: Stan Wright
2: Brian Blaney
3: CJ van der Linde
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Devin Toner
6: Rocky Elsom
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Ollie le Roux
17: Cian Healy
18: Malcolm O'Kelly
19: Stephen Keogh
20: Chris Keane
21: Luke Fitzgerald
22: Girvan Dempsey

CARDIFF BLUES:

15: Leigh Halfpenny
14: Tom James
13: Jamie Robinson
12: Tom Shanklin
11: Gareth Thomas
10: Nick Robinson
9: Jason Spice

1: John Yapp
2: T Rhys Thomas
3: Taufa'au Filise
4: Bradley Davies
5: Paul ***o
6: Maama Molitika
7: Robin Sowden Taylor
8: Andy Powell

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Gethin Jenkins
17: Gareth Williams
18: Scott Morgan
19: Xavier Rush
20: Richie Rees
21: Ceri Sweeney
22: Jamie Roberts

REFEREE: Peter Allan (SRU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: M. Black (IRFU), J. Peake (IRFU), 4th OFFICIAL: Barry O'Keeffe (ARLB), 5th OFFICIAL: James Fegan (ARLB), TMO: Peter Ferguson (IRFU)[/b]
Link: http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/3102.php

Ollie Le Roux is back on the bench. I'm not sure it's a wise move. He was outstanding last season but what sort of physical shape could he be in? In my opinion parachuting him back into the setup sends a signal to Jason Harris Wright and Richie Sweeney that they're not good enough - if they can't make the bench for a single home game against a team why are 2nd from bottom in the league, when can they get their shot?

Fogarty will be back next week, Jackman might be and Blaney is a good 3rd choice hooker. Le Roux isn't needed for one week. If he's being parachuted in, is it possible that he's over here working as scrum coach/onsultant at present and it's just a case of right place, right time for him?

Great to see Kearney at 15. Hopefully Fitzgerald is just being rested - he's played a lot of rugby this season. The Leinster bench looks outstanding.

It's typical Cheika behaviour to be honest, he's still registered for the Heineken Cup so yet again Cheika shows great faith in homegrown players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 9 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's typical Cheika behaviour to be honest, he's still registered for the Heineken Cup so yet again Cheika shows great faith in homegrown players.[/b]
He has prior history of doing this like you say. That'll be Easterbunny, Holwell and Le Roux all brought in on short deals over the last 15 months.

I'd argue the point that Cheika doesn't trust/promote young players though. Just in this game, Kearney starts at 15 over the reliable Dempsey, Toner is in ahead of O'Kelly and Sean O'Brien starts again. I'd like to see Healy start but would accept that he offers more impact coming off the bench than either Wright or vdLinde. Fitzgerald would start more often than not but rightfully earns a rest, as BOD did for the last couple of games. Cheika's record of bringng through young players is outstanding.

I don't agree on with his call in relation to bringing Le Roux or Easterby back though (Holwell is a decision I fully backed). Apparently (I say that because I didn't see the game), Harris Wright was part of a front row which was in contant retreat versus Ulster A. Hardly surprising that he struggled given that he was a backrower until he was 16 or 17. No doubt that influenced MC's call not to bring him into the matchday 22. However, if he was put on the bench, there'd be no reason to bring him on unless absolutely necessary. Even sitting him on the bench for the 80 mins would have done wonders for his confidence.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Jan 9 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 9 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's typical Cheika behaviour to be honest, he's still registered for the Heineken Cup so yet again Cheika shows great faith in homegrown players.[/b]
He has prior history of doing this like you say. That'll be Easterbunny, Holwell and Le Roux all brought in on short deals over the last 15 months.

I'd argue the point that Cheika doesn't trust/promote young players though. Just in this game, Kearney starts at 15 over the reliable Dempsey, Toner is in ahead of O'Kelly and Sean O'Brien starts again. I'd like to see Healy start but would accept that he offers more impact coming off the bench than either Wright or vdLinde. Fitzgerald would start more often than not but rightfully earns a rest, as BOD did for the last couple of games. Cheika's record of bringng through young players is outstanding.

I don't agree on with his call in relation to bringing Le Roux or Easterby back though (Holwell is a decision I fully backed). Apparently (I say that because I didn't see the game), Harris Wright was part of a front row which was in contant retreat versus Ulster A. Hardly surprising that he struggled given that he was a backrower until he was 16 or 17. No doubt that influenced MC's call not to bring him into the matchday 22. However, if he was put on the bench, there'd be no reason to bring him on unless absolutely necessary. Even sitting him on the bench for the 80 mins would have done wonders for his confidence.
[/b][/quote]

Well Kearney has proven himself to Cheika but it's still taken him this long to give him a start at fullback and who's to say it's a long term thing with Cheika? O'Brien only starts because Jennings is suspended. These type of games are perfect for Healy yet he's left on the bench. There's plenty of talent coming through at Leinster but Cheika is mismanaging it I'm afraid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 9 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well Kearney has proven himself to Cheika but it's still taken him this long to give him a start at fullback and who's to say it's a long term thing with Cheika? O'Brien only starts because Jennings is suspended. These type of games are perfect for Healy yet he's left on the bench. There's plenty of talent coming through at Leinster but Cheika is mismanaging it I'm afraid.[/b]
I disagree.

Kearney was given his debut as a 19 year old by Cheika. He hasn't been mismanaged. Injuries to key players (D'arcy, BOD, Horgan, Nacewa, Contepomi) saw to it that Kearney on the wing with Dempsey at fullback was the best use of resources at the time. In a way, Kearney's versatility worked against him. Now that the squad is approaching full strength, Kearney will get his chance at 15. Luke Fitzgerald is another guy who Cheika placed his trust in right after he left school.

O'Brien has started 5/13 games this season and come off the bench in 4 more. In contrast Jennings has started 8/13 and come off the bench in 1 more. To say "O'Brien only starts because Jennings is suspended" is incorrect. Cheika is rotating his 7s and giving both opensides a chance, although it's hard to argue that Jennings is 1st choice.

I won't disagree about Healy - I'd love to see him start and feel he's showing better form than Wright. Not starting will harm his international prospects and give Marcus Horan the Irish #1 shirt by default.

Cheika is managing talent just fine but he's made a misguided call with Le Roux.

For what it's worth, I agree that Harris Wright and Sweeney aren't ready and am unsure whether they'll ever be good enough. Harris Wright should have been left develop as a flanker where he was a wonderful prospect. With Jackman and Fogarty both in their 30s, it wouldn't surprise me if Sean Cronin of Connacht was snapped up by Leinster at the end of next season (rather than return to his home province, Munster) to be their future hooker.

I never said he mismanaged Kearney but he should have had more game time at full back and it's shocking how his goal kicking has been neglected since leaving Clongowes, I said he mismanages talent specifically in relation to Healy.

It's great to see Jamie Roberts back on the bench for the Blues. just in time for the 6nations :).

This should be a great match, both teams are performing well, Blues will need to kick it up a notch if they're gonna win though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 9 2009, 06:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I never said he mismanaged Kearney but he should have had more game time at full back and it's shocking how his goal kicking has been neglected since leaving Clongowes, I said he mismanages talent specifically in relation to Healy.[/b]
My mistake. However I hold my view that Kearney not playing more at 15 is due to other circumstances rather than poor coaching. Nor do I believe that he's mismanaging Healy. Last week for example, Healy was withdrawn from the team for turning up late at training. That's Healy's fault, not Cheika's. Such a strict policy (which Cheika also showed towards Shane Horgan last year) will stand to Healy in the long run. Cheika sacrificed short term gain (a better prop starting against Connacht) for long term gain (a more disciplined prop who'll be a regular starter for a decade).

Healy has played in 12 games so far this year. That's one fewer than the whole of last year and we're only at the mid point of the season. He's started 5 games this year, already 2 more starts that he got all of last season. His scrummaging has improved out of sight in the last 12 months. He's only going to get better. I'd love to see him start more often but remember that he's only 21 and is playing in a position where players don't usually peak until their late 20s/early 30s. Cheika is not mismanaging him.

If it is the case that Kearney's goalkicking hasn't been worked on (and I've no reason to believe it's not the case) then, yep, it's not a wise move. It's a major bug bearer of mine how teams seem to rely on just their flyhalf to do the kicking. For example, Jonny Sexton is criticised for his goalkicking which was, admittedly, subpar yet the rest of his game is more than adequate. Why can't other positions be developed as kickers? If, for example, Kearney or McFadden are developed as kickers, there'd be no problem with Sexton as Leinster's long term answer at 10.

well this game just got a lot more important for the Blues with the Dragons victory last night, they should be gunning for the victory even moreso now.

you'd think that O'Driscoll would have realised by now that he doesn't have a kicking game yet every game he seems intent on trying to prove us wrong.

How was that try not disallowed for obstruction? I'm not sure if the defender would have made the tackle anyway but it was a pretty blatant foul.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (crispy @ Jan 10 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How was that try not disallowed for obstruction? I'm not sure if the defender would have made the tackle anyway but it was a pretty blatant foul.[/b]
It was hardly obstruction. What's-'is-face was just offering support. D'Arcy, or whoever the **** it was, just barged into him in the bleak hope of getting his way.

Halfpenny's been kicking well. Going for another penalty now...
Lovely again. 12 - 17 Cardiff.

:lol: Cardiff you morons.
Talk about throwing the match away. How ****ing stupid is that?
Ah well, lessons learned and all that.

I dunno. I didn't think the very last penalty that cardiff conceded was actually a penalty.
I though the ref was a bit harsh on them.

They didn't regather the ball at the kickoff.
That's as stupid as it gets in terms of throwing a match away. Of all the moments to switch off...

True, but at least cardiff isn't the only welsh region to do it: scarlets and os are both entirely guilty.

The only team in wales that knows how to do the basics (you know those things that you were taught in school and could do second nature) is the Dragons.

Latest posts