• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Cardiff Blues

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Leinster.png
Cardiff.png

</div>

CJ Van der Linde makes his first start of the season for Leinster as Cheika names a full strength side for the visit of the Blues to the RDS. Rob Kearney misses out having picked up a minor knock in training according to the Irish Times.

Last chance for D'Arcy to put a marker down ahead of the test matches, if he doesn't deliver tonight then Wallace surely will start against Australia especially if he keeps up his performances so far against Munster.

The Blues by contrast will be without all their Welsh squad members as Gatland has the players for 13 days before the All Blacks test match. Gareth Thomas returns, however, having been out with a groin injury.

Leinster : Isa Nacewa; Shane Horgan, Brian O’Driscoll, Gordon D’Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald; Jonathan Sexton, Eoin Reddan; Cian Healy, John Fogarty, CJ van der Linde; Leo Cullen (capt), Malcolm O’Kelly; Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O’Brien, Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Bernard Jackman, Mike Ross, Nathan Hines, Stephen Keogh, Simon Keogh, Shaun Berne, Girvan Dempsey

Cardiff Blues: Ben Blair; Richard Mustoe, Gareth Thomas, Gavin Evans, Chris Czekaj, Sam Norton Knight; Richie Rees; Darren Morris, Rhys Williams, Tufa'ao Filise; Deiniol Jones, Paul ***o (captain); Scott Morgan, Ben White, Xavier Rush.

Replacements: Rhys James, Gary Powell, James Down, Josh Navidi, Darren Allinson, Ceri Sweeney, Dafydd James

Leinster full whack. Hard to see anything but a Leinster win here. Darren Morris is a waste of space and Gavin Evans will be shown up against arguably the best centre in the world. However, a great experience for the man.

I usually really look forward to the Leinster fixture as its always a great game, but I fear the worst tonight.

Yeah, i can't see anything other than a Leinster win,
Cardiff haven't been playing amazingly well so far this season, and to lose all their internationals for this game will be a big blow.

I think it'd be a close one if both side were full strength. I am looking forward to the reverse fixture early March, its always a decent game.

Ain't it funny Munster and Leinster both supposed to be going badly (They having blips) yet both still perfectly set-up to challenge for Magners like :p

I don't think anyone was suggesting Leinster are going badly (they aren't firing on all cylinders though) but I take your point.

Healy, van der Linde, O'Brien, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Horgan and O'Driscoll all played well. I thought Reddan, Nacewa and D'arcy were poor.

Also, I'm very happy for Stephen Keogh. He ships a ton of unfounded criticism from Leinster fans as not being up to it at Magners League or Heineken Cup level. While I won't deny that he's not as skillful as Jennings, Heaslip, O'Brien and, this season, McLaughlin, he gives his all, puts in the tackles, hits rucks, shows for the ball and is a very useful squad player. I'd have no hesistation offering him a new contract at the end of the season as a backup blindside flanker (assuming his contract is up). He's good for 10 games per season on a squad rotation basis.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 1 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think anyone was suggesting Leinster are going badly (they aren't firing on all cylinders though) but I take your point.

Healy, van der Linde, O'Brien, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Horgan and O'Driscoll all played well. I thought Reddan, Nacewa and D'arcy were poor.[/b]
I know Leinster ain't as bad as Munster but I meant by their own standards they poor (granted still getting results)
But like Munster and Leinster I believe will still be in with chance of winning Magners come business end of season,
Also lets not forget topping table doesn't mean a whole lot and I'd put money on whoever does top table won't win ML

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 1 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Nov 1 2009, 02:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Healy, van der Linde, O'Brien, Sexton, Fitzgerald, Horgan and O'Driscoll all played well. I thought Reddan, Nacewa and D'arcy were poor.[/b]
I know Leinster ain't as bad as Munster but I meant by their own standards they poor (granted still getting results)
But like Munster and Leinster I believe will still be in with chance of winning Magners come business end of season,
Also lets not forget topping table doesn't mean a whole lot and I'd put money on whoever does top table won't win ML
[/b][/quote]
I wouldn't be certain of that but I agree, finishing top isn't the priority. Teams are going to look for is a top 4 finish, more so than home advantage in the playoffs, and trying to peak at the right time. There's no point winning all your games before March if you've got nothing left in the tank come April and May.

Exactly like I interested to see how Ulster react to yesterday and how they fare come spring.

Also Glasgow Like will these AI's be good or bad for teams with some momentum.

Will be interested to see how this British & Irish Cup works for provinces and how they use it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Nov 1 2009, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will be interested to see how this British & Irish Cup works for provinces and how they use it.[/b]
They'll be putting out A teams. Essentially it will be fringe members of the full squad and academy players getting their game.

Not sure what to think of the result last night. On one hand it was a severly depleted Blues team playing against a full strength Leinster one, and in that sense the Blues did well to be in the game for the majority. However, as the game went on, I thought the Blues could have snatched a loosing bonus point (not that they particulary deserved one).

The linout was an absolute mess, and I don't understand why neither Rhys Thomas or Gareth Williams were in the squad atall! The backrow was of course hugely under strength, with Powell, Martyn and Warberton with Wales and Molatika injured. I thought Navidi looked sharp when he came on, could have a big future (he stood out for Wales as U20 level aswell).

The backline was hit and miss, they created a couple of opportunities but overall were poor. Blair was very out of sorts, butchering that try in the first half and missing a few kickable penalties.

Also not sure what to make of Leinster either. Considering the team against them, they should have been gunning for a home bonus point! A few players stood out, but they should have done much better.

James Jones is officially a sh*t referee. He got quite a few decisions wrong for both teams. Heaslip was yellowed in the first half, which was fine if he'd been consistent for the rest of the match. He gave the Blues numerous warnings after that (yet no yellow), untill he then wrongly yellowed Gary Powell for a high tackle, which wasn't. The Magners league deserves a better quality ref.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Nov 1 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not sure what to think of the result last night. On one hand it was a severly depleted Blues team playing against a full strength Leinster one, and in that sense the Blues did well to be in the game for the majority. However, as the game went on, I thought the Blues could have snatched a loosing bonus point (not that they particulary deserved one).

The linout was an absolute mess, and I don't understand why neither Rhys Thomas or Gareth Williams were in the squad atall! The backrow was of course hugely under strength, with Powell, Martyn and Warberton with Wales and Molatika injured. I thought Navidi looked sharp when he came on, could have a big future (he stood out for Wales as U20 level aswell).

The backline was hit and miss, they created a couple of opportunities but overall were poor. Blair was very out of sorts, butchering that try in the first half and missing a few kickable penalties.

Also not sure what to make of Leinster either. Considering the team against them, they should have been gunning for a home bonus point! A few players stood out, but they should have done much better.

James Jones is officially a sh*t referee. He got quite a few decisions wrong for both teams. Heaslip was yellowed in the first half, which was fine if he'd been consistent for the rest of the match. He gave the Blues numerous warnings after that (yet no yellow), untill he then wrongly yellowed Gary Powell for a high tackle, which wasn't. The Magners league deserves a better quality ref.[/b]
Are you serious it was shown in replays as blatant yellow in front of the ref :ph34r:

I'll wait till the highlights are up on with BBC Sport webiste. However I distinctly remember thinking it wasn't a high tackle at the time, the commentators agreeing. Not really bitter about it though, as the Blues certainly deserved a yellow from their constant infringing during the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Nov 1 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'll wait till the highlights are up on with BBC Sport webiste. However I distinctly remember thinking it wasn't a high tackle at the time, the commentators agreeing. Not really bitter about it though, as the Blues certainly deserved a yellow from their constant infringing during the game.[/b]
He deserved it as he blatantly showed his intent and it was around neck but at least we know James Jones is fair for both teams :D

Awful game. Total waste of time. Leinster were shite to not score more; as were the Blues. Blair single-handedly cost them 13 or so points...

Latest posts