Club or Nation
Leinster
Leinster v Clermont Auvergne
Venue: RDS
Date: Friday, 9 April 2010
Kickoff: 20:00
Live Coverage: Sky Sports 1/Canal+/Sky Italia
Referee: Dave Pearson (RFU)

Toughest quarter final to call for me, Clermont are more than capable of coming away with the win at the RDS, no doubt Joe Schmidt will be looking to lay down a marker before he comes over as head coach.

Leinster's form in the competition has been patchy, poor in both games against London Irish yet they got the job done against Brive and the Scarlets. Hardly a convincing defence of their ***le.

Clermont though came through the toughest pool and won't be daunted at coming to Dublin given how well they performed at Leicester and the Ospreys, albeit without actually getting the win, perhaps they're due on Friday.

With a gun to my head I'd say Clermont will probably just about sneak it, I know Leinster got the win in Munster without 5 first team starters but I think it's a big ask for them to get up to the same levels even though there's a semi-final place at stake.

Leinster know how to win big games; Clermont have lost three Top 14 finals in a row. With home advantage, I fancy Leinster. Add to that the fact that the home side haven't lost since they fielded an academy team against Dragons in December and the defending champions should make it through.

This match actually terrifies me. I reckon Clermont will do us, badly.

Lads, I finally back after been depressed from Friday and since renovation I couldn't log in :D
But on this Quarter Final i really fancy Leinster,
- French don't travel well and while Clermont topped group they didn't convince me away to Leicester and Ospreys.
- What I seen on friday was special, Sexton has a long way to go to be a great 10 but will make it and has balls.
- But main reason I think friday was special and Leinster will win is because RDS crowd will be behind them and the defense i seen last friday was immense and if Leinster repeat that defensive display they'll be ok.

But on other side of coin I'd worry Leinster peaked against Munster (defensively) and the effort took so much that maybe a week isn't sufficient enough recovery time and Clermont could strike.

Leinster squad to face ASM Clermont Auvergne...

FORWARDS: Leo Cullen, John Fogarty, Cian Healy, Jamie Heaslip, Nathan Hines, Bernard Jackman, Shane Jennings, Stephen Keogh, Kevin McLaughlin, Malcolm O'Kelly, Mike Ross, Devin Toner, CJ van der Linde, Stan Wright

BACKS: Shaun Berne, Gordon D'Arcy, Girvan Dempsey, Shane Horgan, Rob Kearney, Fergus McFadden, Isa Nacewa, Paul O'Donohoe, Brian O'Driscoll, Eoin Reddan, Jonathan Sexton

I just cannot call this game. If a gun was pointed at me and was told to make a choice I would go for a Leinster win just because they are at home.

Should be same as Munster game I suppose with BOD in and McFadden gone altogether or replacing Berne on bench.
Also Ross will be on bench if Stan Wright is injured,

Also only call will be moving Hines back to 2nd row with McLaughlin joining Jennings and Heaslip. Toner was poor I though against Munster.

What would you say are the chances of getting a ticket for this game? I think Leinster will just pip Clermont. I said the same thing about Ireland before they played France though...

I wouldn't mind either way, but at a push I'd say Leinster to take it in a close one.

Don't know what to think about Clermont's chances...
Saw them last week versus Stade Français in the stade de France,what a disaster...

Even worse than the kind of match they loose in TOP14 finals, as they were doing mistakes we never see from them, and no pressure to explain (and even more justify) it. True that Broke was not playing but it's not enough to understand such a bad performance from all team, as is the idea that they all were already minding about the quarter final.

Saw the same awfull kicks from Morgan Parra than during the second half time verus England, unprecised and with absolutely no coodination and no pressure from the team at the reception

Why is it when French teams leave their cabbage patch they don't perform to their abilities.

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Jonathan Sexton
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Stan Wright
2: John Fogarty
3: CJ van der Linde
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Nathan Hines
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Shane Jennings
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Bernard Jackman
17: Mike Ross
18: Cian Healy
19: Malcolm O'Kelly
20: Stephen Keogh
21: Paul O'Donohoe
22: Shaun Berne
23: Girvan Dempsey
ASM CLERMONT AUVERGNE:

15: Anthony Floch
14: Aurélien Rougerie CAPTAIN
13: Marius Joubert
12: Gonzalo Canale
11: Julien Malzieu
10: Brock James
9: Morgan Parra

1: Thomas Domingo
2: Mario Ledesma
3: Dato Zirakashvili
4: Jamie Cudmore
5: Thibaut Privat
6: Julien Bonnaire
7: Alex Lapandry
8: Elvis Vermeulen

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Benoit Cabello
17: Vincent Debaty
18: Clement Ric
19: Julien Pierre
20: Alex Audebert
21: Kevin Senio
22: Gavin Williams
23: Wesley Fofana

That's a very sexy Leinster team right there. Hopefully this will serve as a timely kick up the arse for Healy to get his finger out and try to recover some form. Would have liked to see Toner in the 22 but ah well. I reckon we have them at centre, dependant on how fit the two boys are, in the backrow and in the second row. Their front row looks a bit stronger and their halfbacks will probably shade that are. The back threes are pretty evenly matched. All in all, it''s going to be very close.

I suspect Michael Cheika wants to try beat CA up front. Wright and van der Linde is the best scrummaging unit Leinster have. Healy will come on after 50 minutes to raise hell in the loose

Lads. Cheika is a very smart rugby rain and picked team perfectly.

Toner was poor last week in a dominating pack and I think he has to seriously beef up if he wants to make Leinster's 2nd row.
In front-row I expected Healy to be on bench because on current form he's not good enough and last week it was clear when he came on the Leinster scrum dipped noticably.

But feicarsinn you say ye have them in centre, I don't know I think it'll be some battle from 9, 10, 12 and 13.
I wouldn't worry about BOD as he performs on big stages regardless of missing week or 2.
But Canale is a good player and i'll be interested to see him and D'Arcy battle.

Perhaps this comment is going to come back and bite me in the ass but I don't get why so many people are talking up Clermont Auvergne's chances. Leinster haven't been beaten in any competition since December when they sent a bunch of kids to Wales to play the Dragons. They've lost 3 home games in the last three years. They have the best defence in Europe. Clermont Auvergne have won 4 out of 15 away games this season. What makes people think they'll improve that record away against Leinster?

Lads. Cheika is a very smart rugby rain and picked team perfectly.

Toner was poor last week in a dominating pack and I think he has to seriously beef up if he wants to make Leinster's 2nd row.
In front-row I expected Healy to be on bench because on current form he's not good enough and last week it was clear when he came on the Leinster scrum dipped noticably.

But feicarsinn you say ye have them in centre, I don't know I think it'll be some battle from 9, 10, 12 and 13.
I wouldn't worry about BOD as he performs on big stages regardless of missing week or 2.
But Canale is a good player and i'll be interested to see him and D'Arcy battle.
Joubert and Canale aren't a patch on Drico and D'arse. Probably the best centre combination in club rugby.

Joubert and Canale aren't a patch on Drico and D'arse. Probably the best centre combination in club rugby.

Through that Leinster have the better centres on paper but in reality both have been struggling with injuries and it will all depend on who has the better amount of possesion.
Same goes for 9 & 10. On paper Clermont are much better but well Sexton and Reddan if behind a pack going forward then they can control it and decide matters.

Latest posts