• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v Conquerors of Europe, Cardiff Blues, Saturday Sept 11

Are Kearney and D'Arcy injured or is this a new way of playing that Schmidt is trying out?

Probably saving their game limits for another week when BOD and Fitz will be rested

Preview of the game from the Irish Times:

RUGBY/Leinster v Cardiff Blues: DESCRIBING THEIR second competitive match of the season in early September as a "must-win" is perhaps a bit excessive, but Leinster haven't lost their opening two Magners League games since the 2003-04 season, when they ultimately finished eighth, a place below Munster.

But the way they extracted defeat from the jaws of victory against an under-strength Glasgow last week heightens the need to kick-start the Joe Schmidt era with victory in their first home game of the campaign.
Even with ring-rustiness, the return of Brian O'Driscoll and Shane Jennings will add the kind of leadership that was missing last week, Jonathan Sexton ought to significantly sharpen their kicking game and control at 10, while Mike Ross will further strengthen their squad.
With Cian Healy and Eoin Reddan in line for their returns off the bench, Schmidt and co also have more options in terms of impact as the game unfolds.
Prior to losing last season's grand final against the Ospreys in their last competitive outing at the RDS, Leinster had made the D4 venue of a fortress, with 15 league wins in succession, and they will desperately want to restore the feel-good factor with their home supporters.
Blues head coach Dai Young has sought to backtrack a little on his pre-season comments about Welsh teams, such as his, losing their fear factor when going to Irish grounds, perhaps realising Cardiff haven't beaten Leinster in Dublin for six years and haven't beaten Leinster in any of their last six meetings.
The Blues continued where they left off last season with some inventive offloading and attacking rugby to extend their unbeaten run in all competitions to nine games by beating Edinburgh at home last week – albeit living offside at the breakdown and at scrum-time.
Their strong, mobile ex-Hurricanes backrower Michael Paterson is set to make his first competitive start, while Tom Davies, Deiniol Jones and Sam Warburton are all promoted from the bench, and the straight-running Dafydd Hewitt comes in for Tom Shanklin to partner Casey Laulala (sensational last week).
In the absence of four established props, Gethin Jenkins, John Yapp, Tau Felise and Gary Powell, it's a big ask for rookie Davies, making his first league start, and tighthead Scott Andrews, and with Ross back Leinster will surely look to target the scrums. Given ball, though, the Blues' backs will certainly have a cut and it could be the game of the weekend.
LEINSTER: L Fitzgerald; S Horgan, B O'Driscoll, F McFadden, I Nacewa; J Sexton, I Boss; H van der Merwe, R Strauss, M Ross, N Hines, E O'Donoghue, S O'Brien, S Jennings (capt), J Heaslip. Replacements: J Fogarty, C Healy, S Shawe, M Galarza, D Ryan, E Reddan, I Madigan, E O'Malley.
CARDIFF BLUES: C Czekaj; R Mustoe, C Laulala, D Hewitt, T James; D Parks, R Rees; T Davies, T Rhys Thomas, S Andrews, B Davies, D Jones, M Paterson, S Warburton, X Rush (capt). Replacements: R Williams, J Yapp, F Filise, J Down, B White, L Williams, C Sweeney, G Evans.
Referee: Andy Macpherson (SRU).
Previous meetings: (07-08) Cardiff 19 Leinster 30; Leinster 24 Cardiff 17; (08-09) Cardiff 16 Leinster 16; Leinster 21 Cardiff 20; (09-10) Leinster 23 Cardiff 6; Cardiff 20 Leinster 29.
Betting: 1/3 Leinster, 22/1 Draw, 9/4 Cardiff Blues. Handicap odds (Cardiff +7pts) 10/11 Leinster, 22/1 Draw, 10/11 Cardiff.
Forecast: Leinster to win.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0911/1224278642707.html

The Blues front row is poor. No idea who Tom Davies is, and Scott Andrews copes at u20s level, but I can't see him fairing too well against an international-class front row. Glad Filise's on the bench, though. Backline is alright, although I still have little-to-no faith in Hewitt.

Not a fan of Hewitt either. He's alright, and pretty solid, but nothing atall special.

I've not seen anything of Tom Davies yet, but I think Scott Andrews is a very good up and coming prop. Isn't he originally a looshead though?

Looking forward to seeing Czekaj again at fullback. I thought he was excellent last week against Edinburgh. If he get's a little more time at fullback I think he could be on track to get into the Welsh squad for the AI's, as I think he's a better option at fullback than Halfpenny, Hook etc. if Byrne get's injured / doesn't rediscover some form.

This game is a tough ask for the Blues with the amount of players out, but they're on a bit of a roll at the moment and confidence wil be high. I think it'll be close, with just a few in it one way or another.

I felt that we lost the game last wekk due to a sheer lack of options on the bench. Seriously, therer was no one to come in and lay down a marker. This week the likes of Healy, Reddan and Ryan can all bring something different to the table.

I felt that we lost the game last wekk due to a sheer lack of options on the bench. Seriously, therer was no one to come in and lay down a marker. This week the likes of Healy, Reddan and Ryan can all bring something different to the table.
That's true. Leinster's bench has impact written all over it. I wonder whether Healy will be used if Leinster have a big lead though. The IRFU player management scheme limits the amount of game time each international can play. If Leinster are comfortably in front, Joe Schmidt may opt to hold some players back so that he can use them in an important game in future.

I was looking at the Leinster website. I don't think Dominic Ryan was given a contract this season. He still appears as an academy player. What's funny is Paul Ryan and Ruddock were both given contracts but at the moment D Ryan seems to be getting preference over both of them for the 22

I was looking at the Leinster website. I don't think Dominic Ryan was given a contract this season. He still appears as an academy player. What's funny is Paul Ryan and Ruddock were both given contracts but at the moment D Ryan seems to be getting preference over both of them for the 22

Clearly Schmitt rates him fairly highly. Personally I was more impressed with than with Ruddock last, although that me because Dominic is fair more eye-catching in the way he plays. Both of them are great prospects anyway and make me wonder what we're doing right to produce so many quality backrowers over the last few years compared to our neighbours to the south.

Hi now! We've plenty coming through; Tommy O Donnell, Peter O Mahoney, Paddy Butler are all up'n'coming backrowers!

What Leinster are doing in producing backrows, centres and fullbacks, Munster are doing in producing hookers and 2nd rows. I've no idea why that's the case but if Paddy Butler and Peter O'Mahoney develop the way I think they will, Munster will be well served for flankers and 8s for the next decade despite not being a production line for backrows at present.

Whatever about getting ahead of Rhys Ruddock and Paul Ryan, Dominic Ryan also seems to have moved in front of established squad member Stephen Keogh. While Keogh is far from a top player, he's never let Leinster down so Ryan must be very impressive in training.

Only saw the last 30mins or so, but good match that,
Thought Blues were going to take it, then two quickfire tries by Leinster.
Madigans was quality. What happened to Sexton? He's down on the teamsheets, but then i'm sure Madigan was in the #10 shirt? (when Madigan got his try i thought "Why has sexton dyed his hair?")
Did he have to pullout through injury?

Last edited:
Was annoyed with the last try to be honest as it was not a fair reflection of the game. Leinster deserved to win but the Blues gave them it I felt.

Leinster deserved the 4 points, but not 5. The Blues should have got that Losing Bonus Point. Sam Warburton and Bradley Davies where great, while only Casey Laulala stood out in the backs, but Richie Rees and Chris Czeaj where good enough. Filise made a massive difference. He turned the game.

I'm very happy with that win. Setanta are showng highlights in a few minutes so I'll have a better grasp of what happened after watching that but a few observations anyway:

1. The Blues outside backs are lightning quick when put in space.
2. Leinster's scrum was dominant again.
3. Heinke van der Merve looks like an outstanding bit of business.
4. Cian Healy was like a man possessed when he came on. Leinster are well served for looseheads
5. Isa Nacewa was the diference between the teams. He was Leinster's hardest hitter, kicked his goals and was a creative force too.
6. The lineout needs a lot of work.
7. Fair play to Ian Madigan who was very shaky but ended up scoring a fantastic try.
8. Casey Laulala is a hell of a player.

Well played Leinster - took chances well and that was that. Thought Fitzgerald looked fantastic at times. Always like it when Blues play Leinster it always produces a good game.

From a Blues point of view, the front row were far to inexperienced in first half, made far to many unforced errors and had poor defence. Leinster did very well in putting Parks under pressure and he looked like it worked tonight. Parks has been brilliant for us up until then though.

May have missed something here but the ***le is a bit harsh here. It was just a marketing tactic for the blues in Wales. You Irish are so touchy sometimes ;)!

How is it harsh? The Blues called themselves 'Conquerors of Europe'. Jokers.

Back from game - Madigan's try was brilliant, lovely dummy.

Front row was excellent again. Healy has his job getting his plave back while Fogs may be in serious trouble,

Nacewa was very good but I didn't think Luke was great at all, we should expect more.

Fergus was good, nice try and we shall hopefully seehim get his fair share of gametime this season.

I missed the first three minutes, what happened to Sexman?

Latest posts