• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Leinster v London Irish

all we needed was to win a lineout but now Lamb with a kick to win the match and he gets it, cracking kick.

12-9

12-9.

MEH! I wasn't expecting it. Congrats to LI, they proved to be a tough nut to crack. Leinster needs to work on keeping possession of the ball -- and above all, on their line-out. They seemed weak at the breakdown as well.

awful from Reddan at the end, not sure if he went for the drop or the chip, either way wrong option, thought there should have been a penalty.

Still though kudos to Irish, that's a great win.

Reddan is a bit of a ***. What was the point of trying a chip there, nobody was running onto it?

Leinster will be worried that they can't seem to score tries unless they're playing Munster.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 6 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You with me so.... I can really see Leinster putting possibly 40points up on L.Irish as I think the GP is so overrated and not an honest indicator of team but guess you can only beat what in front of you.[/b]

quote of the century. eat your hat my friend, eat your hat

great game

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 10 2009, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
awful from Reddan at the end, not sure if he went for the drop or the chip, either way wrong option, thought there should have been a penalty.[/b]
It was a chip - looked like an "aw, ref!" strop from Reddan, thinking the ref should change his mind about the high tackle. But Leinster had options either side. Bad judgment.

Very smart game from Irish, if a bit boring. Premiership looking good.

Not the greatest game, but interesting non the less. Thought London Irish were doing everything to loose it in thr last 10mins, with Hewat's two appalling kicks and the missed restart in the final minutes. I thought Irish deserved that victory, as they at least occasionally tried to do something other than kick the ball. Leinsters backline offered very little, and although in the first half their kicking game was good, LI upped theirs in the second half and beat Leinster at their own game.

Great upset to start this season's HC, living up to expectation already.

You can watch Cheicka's(sp) post match interview on SkySports.com, he's not happy with the French ref's interpretation at ruck time. Reddan kicked the ball expecting to be awarded a penalty for the High Tackle.

His interpretation was spot on imo. Every one of the penalties he gave, I was already shouting at the tv for the ref to blow. London Irish were just better at the break down tonight.

There was no high tackle at the end, the hit was perfectly legal across the shoulders. The ref made it blatantly obvious that the tackle was good and there was no penalty, so Reddan has no-one to blame but himself.

Edit: I'd also like to say that I don't like it when coaches complain about the ref in this way. If something is blatantly wrong, then fine it's hard not to. But he should be looking closer to home, as I thought Leinsters game plan was horribly boring and uninventive. They looked like they were going out to not loose, not to win. Both sides did in reality, but Cheika should not be complaining where there's nothing to complain about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Oct 9 2009, 09:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Oct 6 2009, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You with me so.... I can really see Leinster putting possibly 40points up on L.Irish as I think the GP is so overrated and not an honest indicator of team but guess you can only beat what in front of you.[/b]

quote of the century. eat your hat my friend, eat your hat

great game
[/b][/quote]
Oh i eating it alot :bravo:

My opinion and respect of London Irish has gone up majorly. Leinster threatened alot and for Irish defense to hold them out was terrific.

Sexton played well but Reddan should never have tried that drop at end. If Leinster wanted a DG they should've just went through phase or 2 and set Sexton up.

On London Irish ...... Where do i start :blink:
- Ryan Lamb changed my opinion of him greatly tonight.
- S.Armitage validated my point he is best 7 in England so why isn't he selected more.
- Bob Casey was excellent and should've had few more caps to his name.

But Paul Hodgson has some wayward kicks.

Still think group wide open and what a game we'll have in London in Jan :ph34r:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Oct 9 2009, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You can watch Cheicka's(sp) post match interview on SkySports.com, he's not happy with the French ref's interpretation at ruck time. Reddan kicked the ball expecting to be awarded a penalty for the High Tackle.[/b]
He can't really complain as the Ref couldn't have been any clearer about saying it was no penalty.
The debate over was it a pen or not i wont comment on but even if it was Reddan shouldn't have even dreamt about attempting.

A bit of an anti-climactic game really, nervous performances from both sides. Leinster just don't seem to be able to put away teams convincingly this year (bar Munster of course). They had enough chances to score tries but squandered them. It doesn't help that their lineout is below par for a team of their quality.

It was quite strange to see Leinster being dominated up front if we grasp the power of their forward pack. They lacked consistency, support and depth in attack. I think Reddan did not feel confident and thus made some weird decisions. In the final seconds I would have gone for a drop goal, but hey -- it's easy to say this while watching the game in front of a computer.

Well played London Irish. They took their chances and won the battles at the breakdown and lineout. For those reasons they deserved to win.

Disappointed but there's a lot more to come from Leinster. Can't wait until they set the record straight in the Madejski!

Watched this in my local (which turned all red and Irish last night. Thank **** none of them lot actually drink Guinness!), and I must confess to having a good laugh at the result. And noticing that not all Irish (as in Ireland, not Reading) fans say "**** it, we're all from the same country"! :lol:

What a difference Ryan Lamb made though. I made my mind up on 2 things after that;
1. Chris Malone is utter garbage
2. Toby Booth, much of an arsehole that he is, can actually show himself to be good for certain players. Lamb is reborncompared to last season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 10 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2. Toby Booth, much of an arsehole that he is, can actually show himself to be good for certain players.[/b]
He's a smug git but a top coach. London Irish do the basics well (good scrum, great lineout and excellent at the breakdown), take their chances and aren't afraid to move the ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Oct 10 2009, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Oct 10 2009, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Toby Booth, much of an arsehole that he is, can actually show himself to be good for certain players.[/b]
He's a smug git but a top coach. London Irish do the basics well (good scrum, great lineout and excellent at the breakdown), take their chances and aren't afraid to move the ball.
[/b][/quote]

There's an interesting part in this interview with Shane Geraghty, basically saying that Booth is so hands on with decision making that he nigh-on suffocates players. Which for someone like Ryan Lamb (who hasn't got 2 brain cells to rub together) can only be a good thing.

Latest posts