Leinster vs Scarlets

S

shazbooger

<div align='center'>
Leinster.png
v
Scarlets.png
</div>

Where most teams usually cannot afford to lose in round three (as was the case for London Irish and Leinster) round four usually seperates the real contenders from the rest.

Its the second leg of this back-to-back mid group fixture and with London Irish assured of a win and a bonus point in their home fixture against whatever mickey mouse team Brive throw over, both Leinster and the Scarlets are playing to stay in the competition.

Leinster would have to start off favourites given the manner of their win last week, but the Scarlets have been talking a good game during the week and Wayne Barnes is the referee.

One thing most Leinster fans are agreed on is that it wont be as comfortable as it was last weekend.

REFEREE: Wayne Barnes (RFU), ASSISTANT REFEREES: Roy Maybank (RFU), Kevin Stewart (RFU)

Can't see the Scarlets tackling being as poor again this week as it was last week. With Dafydd and Mark Jones still injured, the Scarlets will again struggle with their defense out wide and with strength at the breakdown. However, if they can get a fair share of ball, they did show signs of what they can do last week. Get the ball in Jonathan Davies' and Lamont's hands and just go for broke. The Scarlets really do have nothing to loose in this fixture, so could be an interesting game.

Expecting a Leinster win by 10+ really. But the Scarlets have shown in the past that when they start playing open rugby when there's no real pressure on them, they can rip teams to shreds.

Well they should be under some pressure, they need to win to stay in the tournament after all! Anyway they're up against the tightest defence in Europe (well it used to be anyway).

But after last week, everyone will have written them off. As this is an away game, at the reigning champions, there will be little if any pressure on the players. Their only real chance is to run everything and hope to out attack Leinster (in itself a risky ploy), as Dafydd Jones is someone they can't replace atm.

I do agree about leinsters defense. They are very good in that aspect (no-one wins the HC without having a nop notch defensive structure), and that's why they'll still win, and pretty confertoubly probably.

Well in my opinion their best bet would be to draw Leinster into a game in which Shaun Berne is put under as much pressure as possible. He's clealy the weak link in the Leinster side and the 10 position just happens to be where Scarlets have their best player.

You would also have imagined that would have been the plan last week. The thing is he didnt hold on to the ball for long, and the first receiver role was rotated frequently.

For periods early last week Leinster either didnt play with a 10, or played with three of them rotating it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 17 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
You would also have imagined that would have been the plan last week. The thing is he didnt hold on to the ball for long, and the first receiver role was rotated frequently.

For periods early last week Leinster either didnt play with a 10, or played with three of them rotating it.[/b]

Yup, I though Nacewa did really well when he stepped into the 10 spot, which was quite often from what I remember.

If Mark and Daf Jones and Regan King where in the Scarlets side, I wouldn't put it past them. Since there not, I'll say Leinster by 12.

No surprises

LEINSTER:

15: Rob Kearney
14: Shane Horgan
13: Brian O'Driscoll
12: Gordon D'Arcy
11: Isa Nacewa
10: Shaun Berne
9: Eoin Reddan

1: Cian Healy
2: John Fogarty
3: CJ van der Linde
4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN
5: Nathan Hines
6: Kevin McLaughlin
7: Sean O'Brien
8: Jamie Heaslip

REPLACEMENTS:

16: Bernard Jackman
17: Mike Ross
18: Stan Wright
19: Malcolm O'Kelly
20: Stephen Keogh
21: Paul O'Donohoe
22: Fergus McFadden
23: Girvan Dempsey

SCARLETS: 15: Rhys Priestland, 14: Darren Daniel, 13: Sean Lamont, 12: Jonathan Davies, 11: Andrew Fenby, 10: Stephen Jones, 9: Martin Roberts; 1: Iestyn Thomas, 2: Ken Owens, 3: Deacon Manu, 4: Lou Reed, 5: Dominic Day, 6: Simon Easterby, 7: Jonathan Edwards, 8: David Lyons CAPTAIN

REPLACEMENTS: 16: Emyr Phillips, 17: Phil John, 18: Jamie Corsi, 19: Vernon Cooper, 20: Rob McCusker, 21: Tavis Knoyle, 22: Daniel Evans, 23: Gareth Maule

Has anyone noticed that the Irish backrows, Munster aside, are starting to have a very youthful look. Can't really complain about that team, expected really. John Fogarty starting over Jackman still strikes me me as a little funny but sure, ah well. With him and Lou Reed out there the okes write themselves.

Scarlets have commited sucide. They know they aren't going to win, so they've chosen a team that reflects that lack of amibition. Darren Daniel looked out of his depth in LV= Cup, let along the European one! Andy Fenby was constantly falling off tackles last week, yet Daniel Evans played well and gets dropped in favour of Rhys Preistland, of all people. And do the Scarlets really not have another backrowers, what with Daf Jones and Richie Pugh out? Jon Edwards, prepare to be exploited.

Whatever happened to Jonathan Edwards? At one point he looked like he was going to be up there with Lydiate and Warburton as one of the next generation of Welsh international back-rowers.

Oh dear. Kearney not having a great start. Two easy high balls dropped.

And to make up for it he scores a try in the corner. FFFFF-

Kearney scores another. Scarlets ruining opportunities by missing penalties, losing scrums and lineouts. Leinster definitely too good. At least Berne's being **** is making the score look flattering.

Oh also, our handling is quite ****.

Horgan scores an intercept try, preventing a certain Scarlets try in the process. Needless to say I hate his guts.

Latest posts