• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lemi in quartet of Wasps signings

C

Cymro

Wasps have announced four new signings for next season including Samoa international winger David Lemi.

The 27-year-old moves to Adams Park on a two-year contract after four years at recently relegated Bristol.

Outside centre Ben Jacobs, 26, joins from Saracens on a two-year deal and has a wealth of Super 14 experience with the New South Wales Waratahs.

Scrum-half Warren Fury, 23, joins for two years and 22-year-old hooker Chris Whitehead has penned a one-year deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...sps/8057572.stm

Lemi is only 27? o_O

I guess 2 out of 6 backs being good is reasonable though... They can't expect too much from Fury who never plays, Cipriani who can't play for all his media commitments, Varndell who cant play. Full stop. and Sackey who is, well, ****.

So that's Allen and Lemi... Fantastic! :lol:

Absolutely gutted that Lemi is leaving. I suppose it was only a matter of time as he has been brilliant for year for us so I bigger club was bound to scoop him up. The relegation pretty much sealed it.

So far we've lost Perry, El-Abd, Ward-Smith and Lemi who are all top class players for us. I spose they really don't want to be playing rugby in Div 1 though next year. Ah well I spose we do have Jason Spice...

So true, Lemi was amazing for us, probably best winger we've had since I've been watching Bris. Glad we've kept Robinson and the Arscotts. Spice will be a good signing for us, dounbt that we'll bounce straight back up it'll be a couple of years like last time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ May 20 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So true, Lemi was amazing for us, probably best winger we've had since I've been watching Bris. Glad we've kept Robinson and the Arscotts. Spice will be a good signing for us, dounbt that we'll bounce straight back up it'll be a couple of years like last time.[/b]

Yeah the Arscotts are both valuable to the integrity of the team. Though Lee Robinson is a good team player, I have never really rated him that highly. I hope the youth are given a chance. I went to see Luke Eves play a few times against Clifton and he is class, so i hope there are more coming. I do it funny how last year we were in the play-offs for the premiership final and now we're relegated!

I still long for the days gone by of Jason Strange knocking penalties over from here, there and everywhere and our stupidly effective rolling maul. The first division is so competitive now it may be hard for us to mount a comeback to prem as soon as you say with the way the team is at the moment. We had such an old team last season that we've basically imploded. We just need to rebuild and start again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (best_fullback @ May 20 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ May 20 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So true, Lemi was amazing for us, probably best winger we've had since I've been watching Bris. Glad we've kept Robinson and the Arscotts. Spice will be a good signing for us, dounbt that we'll bounce straight back up it'll be a couple of years like last time.[/b]

Yeah the Arscotts are both valuable to the integrity of the team. Though Lee Robinson is a good team player, I have never really rated him that highly. I hope the youth are given a chance. I went to see Luke Eves play a few times against Clifton and he is class, so i hope there are more coming. I do it funny how last year we were in the play-offs for the premiership final and now we're relegated!

I still long for the days gone by of Jason Strange knocking penalties over from here, there and everywhere and our stupidly effective rolling maul. The first division is so competitive now it may be hard for us to mount a comeback to prem as soon as you say with the way the team is at the moment. We had such an old team last season that we've basically imploded. We just need to rebuild and start again.
[/b][/quote]

The trouble with Robinson is, that while his attacking threat is unquestionable, defensivley he is oh so poor. Lost count the amount of times I have seen him defending, as a winger, at 12 or 13. I remeber the game vs B**h in the challenge cup game at "The Wreck" where he wandered in-feild and left his win unattended.

Fortunes change in Rugby so quick, all the other premeirship teams managed to strengthen theor squads more than us, and crucially our rivals (teams we'd expect to be challenging with (worcester, saracens, newcastle) managed to bring in better signings. Our biggest capture in last years close season wqas Adrian Jarvis, while not the worst player ever not exactly an exinting signing.

The first ferw times I saw Luke Arscott I didn't think he was that good, certainmly his brother is better but I'm glad to see myself proved wrong and seeing Luke playing well too can only be a good thing. Not seen Eves play yet as for most of the Rugby season I'm down in Southampton at uni and missed the league games at the mem and couldnt get a ticket for Irish, Saracens, waps etc away.

I'm a huge Lemi fan. He has deserved his chance to play for a top 4 club, and he has helped Bristol no end. I don't think it's a loyalty thing.. although he has been loyal to Bristol, but he has a reputation to uphold and he can't do that in Div 1. I think he might go back to Bristol once they come back up again. If Barkley can do it after a season, then maybe Lemi would go back to Bristol too. I think he fits in extremely well there, i mean his try record speaks for itself.

Wasps is a whole different thing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ May 22 2009, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hm, you never know what he might do with different players around him.[/b]

If he (I assume you meant Varndell) can be **** in a very good Leicester side (circa 3 years ago), he's not going to fair well in a mediocre Wasps team. Unless you go on the basis that all those around him will be bad enough to make him look better.

Lee Smith from the Leeds Rhinos has signed for Wasps. He'll join them at the end of the SL season.

Latest posts