TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
england-v-france_2567832.jpg

France coach Marc Lièvremont was left baffled by referee George Clancy's calls at the scrum and breakdown at Twickenham on Saturday.

France's hopes of defending their Grand Slam ***le came to an end as a Ben Foden try helped England to a 17-9 win.

While Lièvremont had nothing but praise for the winning side, admitting that they had been the better team on the day, he was less complementary of Irish referee Clancy who repeatedly penalised the French for infringements at the scrum and the breakdown.

Asked to comment on the rash of penalties, Lièvremont was mystified by the official's interpretations.

"You'll have to ask George Clancy. Because I didn't understand any of them, neither in the scrum nor the breakdown," said the French coach.

Lièvremont also suggested that England number eight Nick Easter was lucky not to see a yellow card for infringing when France were laying pressure on the English try-line. Les Bleus were given a penalty, duly converted by Dimitri Yachvili, but the visitors felt it could have been a lot worse.

"I have to ask myself what would have been the referee's decision if a French player had killed the ball in a ruck, five metres away from the posts," said Lièvremont.

French scrum-half Yachvili was also critical of Clancy.

I don't want to say it was a home-town referee, but it was almost like that," he said.

Beyond the officiating, Lièvremont repeated his belief that England are currently the best side in the northern hemisphere.

"I said it before the game and I say it again now, I think England are better than us at the moment. We're very fragile," said Lièvremont.

"They are the best team in the northern hemisphere and now they have won the path to the Grand Slam is wide open.

"England were fitter than us. They are a very good team, but they only won 17-9 and still have a step to go to improve their rugby.

"I'm disappointed because we could have won, but as Mr Winston Churchill said, success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_6783535,00.html

All this self serving talk of how referees are respected in rugby is total bullshit if ungracious coaches keep spouting off like they do. Lievremont, Kidney, Robinson and Mallet should shut up talking about referees in post or pre match interviews. This kind of whinging should be done behind closed doors or before long it'll seep onto the pitch too. How long before rugby refs are treated like they are in wendyball?

Well sodding said. And he's got a few points too - but he's also got tons of footage of George Clancy to look at. If his boys didn't know beware the early engage, thats his own lookout.

He should show some respect, personally I think the referee had a great game. It's only because his team lost that he's kicking off.

All this self serving talk of how referees are respected in rugby is total bullshit if ungracious coaches keep spouting off like they do. Lievremont, Kidney, Robinson and Mallet should shut up talking about referees in post or pre match interviews. This kind of whinging should be done behind closed doors or before long it'll seep onto the pitch too. How long before rugby refs are treated like they are in wendyball?

Well said and I have to add our (SA) very own PDivvy to that list. At least he got a 'telling off' from the SARU chief and national sports minister about his comments (although in general and not specifically relating to match officials). And the general response from both the media and fans are of embarrassment and dsgust.

I don't think that will keep him in check though LOL.

Latest posts