• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Licence Announcement - 04/08/11 - EXCLUSIVE Screenshot

I think it's very naive to assume that they won't have tried to license every nation taking part in the WC
I agree with you. Is it a case they ran out of $$ competing with RC so they have not picked up other licences ?

Just a quick question. How long do these licenses last for? One year?

RC has USA says in their FB page I think

The USA has been said to be licensed in both games. We Americans find it weird that there are exclusive licenses anyway. Most of our sports have two developers (Like EA sports and 2K sports) making games, and both have full licenses to all NA teams

The old game, Rugby Challenge (swordfish) had licensed leagues in it, which included top14, and most of the international teams, so i don't know how long they had it for.

The USA has been said to be licensed in both games. We Americans find it weird that there are exclusive licenses anyway. Most of our sports have two developers (Like EA sports and 2K sports) making games, and both have full licenses to all NA teams

Hmmm not really true. American sports have a history of exclusive licensing.

Some examples

THQ Pins Down Exclusive Rights To UFC Through 2018
http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/7970.html
Today, THQ has announced that it has extended its exclusive agreement with Zuffa, LLC to publish games based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship (R) (UFC(R)). THQ will now be able to release UFC ***les through 2018.

EA Exclusive Licenses
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA_Sports#Exclusivity_deals
wikipedia said:
Exclusivity deals

In 2002, EA purchased the license to NASCAR for six years, ending competition from Papyrus and Infogrames.

On December 13, 2004, EA SPORTS signed an exclusive deal with the National Football League (NFL) and its Players' Union for five years. On February 12, 2008, EA SPORTS announced the extension of its exclusive deal until the 2012 NFL season.

Less than a month after the NFL Exclusive deal, EA SPORTS signed a four-year exclusive deal with the Arena Football League (AFL).

On April 11, 2005, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) and EA SPORTS signed a deal to grant EA SPORTS the sole rights to produce college football games for six years.

EA lost the rights for Major League Baseball (MLB) games to 2K Sports in 2005, ending EA's MVP series; however, EA made NCAA Baseball games in 2006 and 2007 after losing the MLB license.

In January 2008, EA SPORTS decided not to renew their NCAA College Baseball license while they evaluate the status of their MVP game engine.[5]

In 2005, EA SPORTS and ESPN signed a massive 15-year deal for ESPN to be integrated into EA SPORTS video games. EA's use of the ESPN license has steadily increased over the early life of the deal. EA's early usage of the ESPN license began with ESPN Radio and a sports ticker in ***les like Madden NFL, NBA Live, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and NCAA Baseball and Football. The ESPN integration now includes streaming podcasts, text articles (including content only available previously to ESPN Insider subscribers), and ESPN Motion video (including such programs as Pardon the Interruption).

Yeah whaaat? 2K made the best NFL game by far but got muscled out by EA..

OK so am i right in saying that the list of licensed teams so far in RWC,2011 is Argentina,Canada,England,France,Italy,Ireland,Scotland,South Africa,U.S.A,Wales but what about the rest ??! so no Samoa Tonga Namibia Japan etc :(

I certainly hope there is still time for the Pacific Islanders to become licensed or at least be announced as licensed. If they could also wrap up the licenses of all remaining teams that would be ideal, but not really a requirement in my eyes, its the Pacific Isles teams that are of most importance of those teams remaining.

Can the mods or the HB guys themselves confirm if any further licenses will be forthcoming? (you don't have to specify who or how many!)

I think the US need as much Rugby exposure as possible, they aren't regarded as a Rugby nation so the impact of sales for having the only game with the US in it probably won't make up for the extra costs. When you talk about 6 nation and Tri nation teams, the exclusive licences are going to carry a lot more weight in each territory. The only game where you can play England vs Wales will probably result in a few sales, and the same with Oz and NZ

Latest posts