• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I don't doubt Jones could do a job there and his workaholic mentality may fit better with the US psyche (not really sure what American attitudes towards sportsmen are over there?) It's whether he can translate his proven short term track record into unproven longer term success. Every team he's been with for more than 4 years has seen their form slump pretty badly.

I think there's something to this; I think that kind of mentality would translate pretty well. We have the athletes with incredible fitness; we just need someone to instill the higher level skill in our player base, someone who's been at the top and know what he needs out of his players in order to win.

Regarding EJ and England though, I think there's no question he stays through the end of the RWC

Could've got Wade on residency
Bring back the 3 year residency and the NFL international program will become my new favorite friend. Get professional rugby players on an NFL "nutrition" program for 3 years, cap them, and then return them to the premiership.

I really hope it's not Borthwick. He's not ready and is basically EJ lite

I really hope it's not Borthwick. He's not ready

Agreed.

and is basically EJ lite

He worked with Jones, but I don't see this at all. In fact I'd say he was the polar opposite - which may be why they were fairly successful together. Borthwick's low key, even dour, and what comes out of his mouth is considered, not the latest thing to enter his mind. Doesn't play media games. On the pitch he also seems very much basics first with huge attention to detail. In his coaching career he may succeed in various roles, he may not, but he seems to have a dignity about him and isn't likely to be divisive. I don't really see any similarities in playing philosophy or personal style.

They reckon he'll take Sinfield and Tigers' "head of physical performance" with him as well - that'll proper **** over Tigers' season

He worked with Jones, but I don't see this at all. In fact I'd say he was the polar opposite - which may be why they were fairly successful together. Borthwick's low key, even dour, and what comes out of his mouth is considered, not the latest thing to enter his mind. Doesn't play media games. On the pitch he also seems very much basics first with huge attention to detail. In his coaching career he may succeed in various roles, he may not, but he seems to have a dignity about him and isn't likely to be divisive. I don't really see any similarities in playing philosophy or personal style.

Borthwick is just as stubborn as a coach though.
I think if Borthwick gets the call Ford will start alongside Farrell again.

Lineouts will be great though.

He will keep a lock at 6 and he will keep Vunipola imo

Honestly biggest disappointment with Tigers despite having a International backline we look so uncreative, last season we won a lot but also think we just caught a lot of teams with their pants down. Our mauls have been a lot less effective.

They reckon he'll take Sinfield and Tigers' "head of physical performance" with him as well - that'll proper **** over Tigers' season

Aled Walters would be a big loss hopefully imparted enough knowledge to our guys.
Sinfield on the fence with currently.
How much of our defence last season was high work rate forwards v structure? This season been far worse.

Tigs, the decision's already been made, it's too late to convince the RFU not to take him away.

haha
I mean Tigers this season look a shadow of what they did last season.
Drew to Bristol with a big lead, should've lost to Irish the week before despite a big lead, lost to Exeter and Bath in the final minute, got thumped by Saracens and Sale at home.

I rate Borthwick as a coach but the dude it very green and IMO we got very lucky the league was as poor as it was last season (Even said it last season).

Biggest worry is Steve struggles to handle media pressure at club level how can he handle it at International level?
Robertson is green at international level but hell at least we are not throwing a promising young English coach to the wolves if we picked him now.

Id really like Borthwick back in as assistent coach, maybe with view of progressing him into the role. But then would he leave tigers for that and even if he would, He's a relatively young coach and how many get a second chance as a coach if they fail? So why throw him in now as the head coach? In 9 years time with experience as head coach/assistant then stepping up wouldnt be a bad option.

Robertson? Can we afford to get him now if we let EJ goes as we have to pay him off?

I wouldnt mind Borthwick to take us to the WC and the Robertson after with Bothwich returning to tigers.

Latest posts