• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Line-out throws

C

Corywalker

Hey, I was invited to play starting hooker against an English side the other day, and our lineouts required to throw to the back, and I can't seem to put enough distance on my throws to get that far, therefore, I was hoping that the great people on this forum could give me some tips on increasing the distance of my throws. I have the accuracy, just the length needs some improvement. Thanks in advanced :)

PS: I still played in the match, just our flanker had a huge throw, so he played in the offensive lineouts as the thrower, and myself as a lifter. Oh, and if my height has anything to do with the throwing, I'm 5'7.5.

The only way to get your throw longer is practice, practice, practice. Simple as that :)

The only way to get your throw longer is practice, practice, practice. Simple as that :) [/b]

Against a light-pole would suffice right? :p I don't have a lineout-pod-in-a-bag.

If that would suffice, should I just mark out distances up to 15m and throw at them? Like.. I'd mark off where each jumper would be, and aim for the height.

<div class='quotemain'> The only way to get your throw longer is practice, practice, practice. Simple as that :) [/b]

Against a light-pole would suffice right? :p I don't have a lineout-pod-in-a-bag.

If that would suffice, should I just mark out distances up to 15m and throw at them? Like.. I'd mark off where each jumper would be, and aim for the height.

[/b][/quote]

Yeah thats sweet. Just mark 1m metre intervals from a pole from 5m to 20m and then practice, practice, practice.

My mate, who plays hooker, helped improve his throwing when he practiced throwing the ball in the bball hoop, lineout throwing style of course.

Another one is getting a circle object (e.g. hoop, paper etc) and put that on a poll and stand away at various distances to simulate throwing to different jumpers this is what I did !!!

As everyone has said just keep practicing and dont worry about the long throws too much as it will get easier as you get older and gain strength. Not many 16 year olds can consistently hit the back of the line-out.

Make sure you do some tricep extensions in your weight routine as a line out throw really relys on those muscles. Hold a heavy medicine ball over your head like you would a rugby ball at the line out and pump (you don't have to release the ball) but simulate the arm action. This will help to develop the muscles needed.

Thank you guys for the help!

melon: great idea on the intervals, I like it ,and I'll probably end up doing that. Thank you!

candybum: a ball hoop, as in a basketball hoop right? I don't have one readily avaliable, but when I'm at school, I'll try to give it a go. Thanks!

Cymro: Do you know where I could purchase a lone-hoop? The idea sounds very good as I could just put it on a light pole and it will replicate the jumpers hands inside the tunnel. Thank you!

danny: Yes, I agree not many 16 year olds can throw that accurate and long, but, if I do manage to do it, I could eaisly make it on my regional team, and possibly further (provincial/national).

O'Rothlain: You are a beast when it comes to information :p I do 3 sets of tricep extentions (over-head I am guessing are the ones you are talking about). If I don't have a medicine ball readily avaliable, do you think a dumbell well do just as well? or should I purchase a medicine ball?

Ebay is a good bet but search

hula hoop [/b]

:lol: Oh! A hula hoop! Yes, they're quite cheap, I'll have to run down to the store soon to buy one, and tape it to the electrical pole :p . Thanks :D

Personally, I'm a fan of medicine balls.
We rely too much on just simple weight training. Moving into a more plyometric sort of excercise, again in my opinion, helps develop more than just focused muscles.
To clarify, tricep extensions are great for soley developing the triceps, however, your grip on a bar bell, or a dumbell is not the same that it would be on a ball (something spherical). The grip difference works all sorts of other tiny stabilization muscles.
I make my team do lots of "stupid stuff" with medicine balls. When I first started coaching and introducing these exercises they laughed and nicknamed one of the activities "Gay Ball." However, after a session of Gay Ball they quickly realized how sore they were all over their upper body and legs.
("Gay Ball", as it's called, is an activity between two people [yes, I am aware that this actually does sound gay]. Two men [still sounds gay] face each other whilst standing on BOSU Balls, which are flipped upside down [see picture]. This initially works all stabilisaton muscle [legs and core]. Then a 15-30lb medicine ball is passed between them [chest passing]. Each participant is throwing hard enough to knock the others balance off [not to injury]. After multiple repetitions or an alloted time the call is made to switch to over-head passing [much like your line out pass, focusing on the triceps and bringing the ball completely over the head]. Then they move on to side passes [like a rugby style pass off of the hip]. This exercise can last anywhere from 5-10 minutes.)
BOSUBALL4.JPG

The BOSU Ball...note in the exercise above the bal is flipped over, unlike the picture here

It's not just the strength that's important. Technique is very important too in reaching the tail. I find that releasing the ball just a split-second earlier helps, and trying to put more power on your spin as well will help. You could also take a step in to the throw, you knows...transfer of weight and all that. That's just what I do in addition to doing the medicine ball movements and using a dumbbell for tricep extensions.

If you're gonna work on your triceps also work on your lats.
It makes sense that the stronger these are the farther your lineouts will go. I've no idea how a hooker trains to get longer distance, but i'm trying to think logically. If you compare a pull down in the gym to a lineout throw the actions aren't too disimilar.
But then of course you can't forget your core like O'Ro has mentioned. If you stabilise and strengthen your core then you will become much more balanced and you will not compromise other techniques - in fact it can only help.
Every professional athlete works on their core muscles.

That was just my ten pence, no idea if it'll actually work - i was just trying to think with logic.

edinburgh_gunner: I agree totally that technique > strength. I'll also try taking a step in, but usually it throws off my technique,but hey! Practice makes perfect! Thanks!

RC: Sounds like it'll work, I'll make sure I work my lats as well as triceps. Thank you!

O'Rothlain: Gay ball sounds rough! What weight of medicine ball do you think I should start training with? Should I slowly work up the weight? If so, to what weight should I work to?

Thanks guys for all the help!

Latest posts