• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions 2009

Currently can anyone actually see the Lions beating South Africa? especially at places like Loftus Versfield i really cant see it happening, could be another 2005. But im keeping my fingers crossed that whoever the coaches pick are proven combos. I would definetley go with Cipriani, Wilko is past it and O'Gara is good but doesnt offer much attacking threat. Hook maybe.. [/b]
I agree that at the moment I can't see the Lions beating South Africa, however after a bit of training and a game or two, that could turn around. You just never know. My prediction is the Lions to get one game over SA, but thats all.

Also, regardless of whether or not Wilko is past it, I think they'll chuck him in the squad to go over. It would just be so un-english if they didn't let him tag along. It would be good to see him have a game against one of the provincial teams (I'm guessing they are doing the whole tour thing complete with regional/provincial teams?).

I wish France could get involved in this Lions thingy...Play the Lions in Paris would be awesome. Or even better have some players selected. Can you imagine this backline:

9 Elissalde (on form)
10 Hook/Cips/Michalak (your pick)
11 S Williams 12 Henson/Jauzion (on form) 13 Shanklin 14 V Clerc
15 C Heymans

Which french players would you guys pick for a Lions squad ?

Which french players would you guys pick for a Lions squad ? [/b]

None, because then it would no longer be a Lions squad and the tradition would be lost forever.

Luckily I don't ever see it happening.

I know Tradition would be lost for ever. I'm asking you because it's a forum , where you do this kind of stuff.

But I also get what you're saying so no problem.

Very true what you are saying. The french game would not fit in with traditional British forward play.
i could see a back line of: 9.Wigglesworth 10.Hook 11.Williams 12.Noon 13. O'Driscol 14.Sackey 15. Cipriani
Sorry Scots!

Very true what you are saying. The french game would not fit in with traditional British forward play.
i could see a back line of: 9.Wigglesworth 10.Hook 11.Williams 12.Noon 13. O'Driscol 14.Sackey 15. Cipriani
Sorry Scots! [/b]

the Lions are not just England I think... :ph34r: Maybe you've only watched the last tour :lol2tn:

Anyway I don't see why french players wouldn't fit in that baclkline but... :wall:

Sorry Scots!
[/b]
Did you completely ignore the result of the Six Nations? Henson, Shanklin and Blair shat all over Noon, O'Driscoll and Wigglesworth. :\

Saw that Thomas Cook Sports got in on the act and got themselves on the list of official tour operators. Plonked down some (deposit) cash for me and my Dad. The whole family is going to chip in for him as he hasn't had a proper holiday longer than a weekend for the last..whoa..7 years o_o;;;

Just looking at everyone's teams and squads... do you think Scotland should try just putting out 3 scrum halves? Might fare a hell of alot better than with 13 half wits, an amazing 9 and a guy who does hoop all else apart from having an awesome kicking record?

Dan Parks for the Lions??!?!? If that happened, whoever the coach was would either have a really twisted sense of humour...or Frank Hadden.

My Lions starting XV if they played S Africa tomorrow, would be:

15. Byrne
14. Sackey
13. Shanklin
12. Henson
11. S.Williams
10. O'Gara
9. Phillips

8. R.Jones
7. M.Williams
6. Haskell
5. Alun W Jones
4. Shaw
3. Stevens / A Jones
2. Flannery
1. Sheridan

Scarlet yeah I'd agree with most of that, but:

I think Borthwick's a better player than Shaw.
Strokosch or Simon Taylor might be a little miffed not to make the back row. Haskell's good but I'd pick one of those ahead of him.
I'd have Blair at 9.
O'Gara, hmmm. Maybe a think about Danny?

Anyway, it's far too early to pick a Lions squad now since half the players will be injured or off form by then.

I would say, however: there's a wealth of scrum halves in the UK. Ireland have 2 very good SH, Scotland have 3 outstanding and Wales 2. Add to that Harry Ellis who you may mock but before he got injured last 6N was outstanding. If Wigglesworth & Care develop over the next 12 months that's 10 quality 9s competing for 3 spaces.

I think the Lions selection will depend on how well Wales and Ireland do over the next year. You can always guarantee a majority of English players simply because we have the biggest player pool, but the Welsh players playing outstanding rugby now will have to prove that they are outstanding players in their own right in a year's time. As an example, had this team been picked before this year's 6N, the second row would be a mixture of Borthwick, Shaw, O'Connell & O'Callaghan. With the Welsh 2nd rows having such a good 6N they get thrown in... so it'll be interesting to see who maintains form.

We could plump for Matt Williams...

<Matt Williams> My fellow Lions, before I start, allow me to say that you're all crap and not even worth my time. I coach REAL men at Ulster and thus I will be trying to pick as many ex-pat conservative Australian players as possible.

<Dan Parks> WOO HOO!

<Matt Williams> allow me to finish that you're all crap. Did I mention you're all crap? Good, okay, here is the game plan for ALL of the games: pass to Parks.

Hey, it could work! Matt Williams once coached Leinster doncha know!

Scarlet yeah I'd agree with most of that, but:

I think Borthwick's a better player than Shaw.[/b]

I'm sure you would :D

Strokosch or Simon Taylor might be a little miffed not to make the back row. Haskell's good but I'd pick one of those ahead of him.[/b]

Strokosh has played well and I know Haskell ahs been injured, I just rate him massivley. S Taylor is way way overrated IMO

I'd have Blair at 9.
O'Gara, hmmm. Maybe a think about Danny?[/b]

Wouldn't be annoyed with Blair. good choice.

Nots ure how you can pick Cipriani though. How many tests has he played? Defensively frail and not up to Lions material yet. Might suit the tour in 2009 though. who knows.

had this team been picked before this year's 6N, the second row would be a mixture of Borthwick, Shaw, O'Connell & O'Callaghan. With the Welsh 2nd rows having such a good 6N they get thrown in...
[/b]

Well I disagree with that. Anybody who was unsure if Alun Wyn Jones, Ian Gough or Ian Evans were international quality surely hadn't seen much rugby.

Evans and Wyn-Jones will surely form the bulk of the Lions locks for years to come

We could plump for Matt Williams...

<Matt Williams> My fellow Lions, before I start, allow me to say that you're all crap and not even worth my time. I coach REAL men at Ulster and thus I will be trying to pick as many ex-pat conservative Australian players as possible.

<Dan Parks> WOO HOO!

<Matt Williams> allow me to finish that you're all crap. Did I mention you're all crap? Good, okay, here is the game plan for ALL of the games: pass to Parks.

Hey, it could work! Matt Williams once coached Leinster doncha know!
[/b]

Oh would you ever give it up about Matt Williams, you're like a stuck record, we get it you don't rate it, no need to tell us in every second post.

Latest posts