• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions 2017 Tour Start

stus768

Bench Player
A few articles in the Rugby Paper about the lions.

Apparently PRL rejecting proposals to make the tour a week later. They're public image just keeps dropping with each decision their involved in.

Also an article about how poorly planned the tour is and how it is going to be incredibly tough on the players.

The Lions seems like another Rugby organisation run by amateurs.

Isnt it the NZRU that sets the dates and fixtures? Why would the PRL refuse the tour to start a week later? the season will be finished.

Oh and not many PRL players will be selected anyway.

Isnt it the NZRU that sets the dates and fixtures? Why would the PRL refuse the tour to start a week later? the season will be finished.

Oh and not many PRL players will be selected anyway.

I assume they set the dates and fixtures in conjunction with the Lions.
They don't want it to start a week later because they 'felt the end of the tour would be too close to the start of the regular season'. This means that they will be flying out within 48hrs of the end of the final.

I assume they set the dates and fixtures in conjunction with the Lions.
They don't want it to start a week later because they 'felt the end of the tour would be too close to the start of the regular season'. This means that they will be flying out within 48hrs of the end of the final.

They tell the Lions when they are playing and whom but like I said there are not many PRL players going to be in the side anyway..apart from George North.

But the Lions management are still in a position to argue over and influence how fair the tour schedule is. The NZRU should not be solely dictating the terms considering how much money they will be making from it.

I agree on current form there won't be a massive amount of prem players in the starting team but there are a few who will definitely be on the plane and the tour is a few years away.

But the Lions management are still in a position to argue over and influence how fair the tour schedule is. The NZRU should not be solely dictating the terms considering how much money they will be making from it.

I agree on current form there won't be a massive amount of prem players in the starting team but there are a few who will definitely be on the plane and the tour is a few years away.

No they are not, this has been the problem the last 2 tours, the Lions have been at the Mercy of the hosting union.

No they are not, this has been the problem the last 2 tours, the Lions have been at the Mercy of the hosting union.

My point and the point of the article is that they are in a position to influence but do not seem to act on it.

Touring NZ in 2017 was already agreed but they have plenty of leverage with the location of future tours not agreed yet. They don't seem to use that leverage to get the best deal for the Lions.

Also I don't believe they have no say in the tour. I don't think they get an email from the host Union stating this is who you will play and when. The fact the Lions are looking at changing the start date shows they have at least some input into it.

Last edited:
This is what TRP is saying
The lions want to start a week so that they can have 2 weeks between AP and Pro12 finals to travel to NZ and prepare for the opening game instead of the current 48 hours after the domestic final.
Premiership spokesman said The decision not to allow the tour to be rescheduled to start of June 10th and finish on July 15th was taken on player welfare ground as "We felt the end of tour would be too close to start of season".

Also
The lions have been force to reject World-wide offers worth millions for an extra test match as a prelude to their NZ tour.
Been offers from USA, Australia, Singapore, Japan, Dubai, Hong Kong, and Fiji
American bid to bring them to Chicago
Lions were very keen to tap into the US market.
BUT NZRFU (Being shyts) are refusing to shorten the number of games to make room, mixed with the not having an extra week (By PRL) means .

Latest posts