• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Challenge

psychic duck

International
The Lions after being booted out of Super Rugby, have made a fixture list to replace playing in the Super Rugby tournament.

LC_Logo_CHOSEN_small.jpg

Last edited:
Team to face Russia:

1. JC Janse van Rensburg (captain)
2. Martin Bezuidenhout
3. Ruan Dreyer
4. Hendrik Roodt
5. Franco Mostert*
6. Warwick Tecklenburg*
7. Derick Minnie
8. Willie Britz
9. Michael Bondesio (vice-captain)
10. Lionel Cronje*
11. Anthony Volmink
12. Harold Vorster*
13. Stokkies Hanekom*
14. Deon Helberg
15. Andries Coetzee
16. Francois du Toit
17. Jacques van Rooyen*
18. Jacques Kotze*
19. Hugo Kloppers*
20. Claude Tshibidi*
21. Ross Cronje
22. Marnitz Boshoff*
23. Ruhan Nel**On debut for the MTN Lions

This team is not so impressive but Russia will play without Artemyev, Simplikevich, Ostroushko, Ostrikov, Kulemin, Byrnes, Korshunov, Antonov, Boltenkov, Matveev, Shakirov, Botvinnikov and Popov.

That's actually not a bad Lions team. Some big stong guys up front. Good Flankers, especially Tecklenburg who was with the Bulls previously. And then some real pace in the backs.

I'm glad they start their campaign so early. at least I have some live rugby to watch again on weekends...

Well, the Lions won the game 51-13.

Russia got 2 yellow cards and a red card for ill-discipline.

Lions demolished the Russian Scrum and got 2 penalty tries from a scrum.

Lions didn't look very impressive ITO execution and could have won by a lot more. Russia were absolutely obliterated in the scrum. I know they aren't known for a strong scrum and this was probably a Russia B team but hell! Some very dodgy play from them at the rucks to spoil Lions ball so I think the cards were certainly warranted. It's a pity the Lions are out as they are actually not as bad as last years SR campaign suggests as they were playing with 11 1st choice players out injured at one stage and never had a settled 15 on the field.

Lions now 2-0 on their Challenge series. They beat the Cheetahs 33-17. Cheetahs were 17-7 up, but Lions then scored 26 unanswered points. I guess any Lions win over Super Rugby opposition must be very satisfying for them given their situation.

Interesting that hard hitting centre JP Nel (2 time Super Rugby winner) is back playing in South Africa with the Cheetahs. Also the Lions had a new kit for this match after changing from Gilbert to Canterbury.

springboks121.jpg

Lions:
Tries: Nel, Hanekom 2, L. Cronje, Volmink
Cons: Boshoff, Nel

Cheetahs:
Tries: Rhule, Nel, Daniller
Con: Brummer
Yellow card: Rhule

Lions: 15 Marnitz Boshoff, 14 Ruhan Nel, 13 Nicolaas Hanekom, 12 Alwyn Hollenbach, 11 Anthony Volmink, 10 Guy Cronje, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Willie Britz, 7 Derick Minnie, 6 Jaco Kriel, 5 Hugo Kloppers, 4 Gavin Annandale, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Francois du Toit, 1 JC Janse van Rensburg (c).
Replacements: 16 Robbie Coetzee, 17 Jacques van Rooyen, 18 JJ Breet, 19 Claude Tshidibi, 20 Michael Bondesio, 21 Lionel Cronje, 22 Andries Coetzee.

Cheetahs: 15 Henie Daniller, 14 Jannie Boshoff, 13 JP Nel, 12 Robert Ebersohn (c), 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Francois Brummer, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Boom Prinsloo, 7 Tertius Daniller, 6 Marnus Schoeman, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lodewyk de Jager, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Torsten van Jaarsveld, 1 Caylib Oosthuizen.
Replacements: 16 Hercu Liebenberg, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Ligtoring Landman, 19 Waltie Vermeulen, 20 Tewis de Bruyn, 21 Barry Geel, 22 Hansie Graaff,.

PD, JP Nel returned last June and played in the Currie Cup already. He is contracted to the Griquas. The Cheetahs franchise has a bunch of Griquas players again:

Jannie Boshoff, JP Nel, Francois Brummer, Marnus Schoeman, Ligtoring Landman, Willie le Roux, Lourens Adriaanse, Ryno Barnes, Rocco Jansen, Dusty Noble and maybe Luzuko Vulindlu, Jean Stemmet and Steph Roberts will be added later on.

Watched a bit of the Bulls match. Not a good idea, I have gotten myself too excited for S15 now.
How long lads??

Some rumours says Lions are going to Georgia to play a game v. Georgian Premiership XV in May

Wonder what the North American All Stars will look like. Apparently Todd Cleaver is captain.

Wonder what the North American All Stars will look like. Apparently Todd Cleaver is captain.

Looks like it will be the best of the domestic players, along with Clever(and if anyone else is Japan based) I've also heard there might be some legends added into the side possibly coming off the bench. Could be a fairly decent team when they are combined, a little weak at Lock and FH but most other positions there is some depth within the domestic camps of both teams.

The Namibia vs. Lions game has unfortunately been cancelled, appparently the Namibian team didn't want to risk their players to injuries ahead of some vital African competition games.

Well, the story I heard was that the NRU did not have enough money to finance the trip. They prefer matches against some national teams which is more lucrative.

Well, the story I heard was that the NRU did not have enough money to finance the trip. They prefer matches against some national teams which is more lucrative.

That could very well be the case, there have been tons of missteps and bizarre statements made from this series. For instance the Chicago Lions match was apparently never a go and the CEO of the club hadn't even heard anything from the MTN Lions at all and said it would not even be remotely feasible. I'm not even 100% sure whats going on with the other two North American games I've heard so many different stories about whether both games are a combined side or one is just USA or Canada I'll just wait till a little closer to see what happens.

They just released the tickets for the April 13th game in LA. http://www.rugbyshowdown.com/index.php/event-tickets

As for the team, we know for sure that Todd Clever will be captaining it, and there is a rumor that Shane Williams will play (?!). I read somewhere there would be five or six internationals on the NA All-Stars, but I don't remember where I saw that.

I have a feeling this whole thing is going to come back and bite the SARU in the ass at the end of the season, not to mention this makes super rugby look bush league.

The 2nd game between the Lions and North American All Stars in Burnaby has been cancelled according to Rugby Canada. No reason was given it was simply a tweet, if I get further details I'll let the forum know. This Lions challenge is starting to turn into a bit of a gong show, lot's of cancelled matches etc.

Edit: Article just got posted....Scheduling, venue and financial issues.....http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=69273

Here's the squad named by USA coach Tolkin to play on April 13th at Cal State Fullerton...

Forwards: Chris Biller (SFGG), Todd Clever (NTT Shining Arcs), Peter Dahl (Belmont Shore), Brian Doyle (NYAC), Zach Fenoglio (Glendale), Graham Harriman (Chicago Griffins), Will Haydock (Seattle-OPSB), Patrick Latu (Metropolis), Mike MacDonald (Olympic Club), Al MacFarland (NYAC), Liam Og Murphy (Boston), Shawn Pittman (Trinity), Phil Thiel (Life)

Backs: Shaun Davies (Glendale), Troy Hall (NYAC), Luke Hume (U.S.A. 7's), Toby L'Estrange (NYAC), Zach Pangelinan (OMBAC), Blaine Scully (U.S.A. 7's), Robbie Shaw (Richmond), Adam Siddall (Old Blue), Andrew Suniula (Chicago Griffins), Mike Te'o (Belmont Shore/U.S.A. 7's)

http://www.rugbymag.com/international-news/7560-north-american-all-stars-named.html

Latest posts