• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Challenge

I guess the Rugby Canada component got dropped, though there were rumours of the 2nd test going ahead somewhere else. Thats not a bad U.S.A. side considering all the overseas guys aside from Clever are missing.

The 2nd game between the Lions and North American All Stars in Burnaby has been cancelled according to Rugby Canada. No reason was given it was simply a tweet, if I get further details I'll let the forum know. This Lions challenge is starting to turn into a bit of a gong show, lot's of cancelled matches etc.

Edit: Article just got posted....Scheduling, venue and financial issues.....http://www.rugbycanada.ca/leagues/newsletter.cfm?clientID=3817&leagueID=0&page=69273

Canada seem to have made a mess of their schedule this year. First they cost themselves the extra revenue and extra chance of a rare opportunity against a Tier 1 team by losing the second game against Ireland, now they have lost their domestic players the biggest fixture they had.

Add that to the fact last year, Rugby Canada got relatively disappointing crowd numbers for their matches with Italy and Georgia and it suggests that those at the top aren't doing a great job in marketing and organising the sport at national team level, despite recent improvements in the side (they have a lot better hopes vs Ireland this year than Wales 2009).

Contrast that to USA Rugby seems to be a lot more pro-active at winning new fans and got a record turnout vs Italy last year and had a comfortably bigger turnout than Canada did for the same fixtures last June.

Agree about the Lions Challenge, was a decent idea at first, but it's not really going to plan and has lost momentum and interest. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't bother next year.

It sounds like Rugby Canada screwed up the match in Vancouver and USA Rugby picked up the slack. The team named for the match in Socal will also be the team for the 2nd match in Texas. It's too bad it was such short notice (I'm guessing the match will be at BBVA Compass Stadium due to USAR's relationship with them) as it would have been nice to give Atlanta this to replace the Eagles match they lost and because of the SAn population in Atlanta.

Are they going to get any matches done on this Lions Challenge?

Agen and French Barbarians matches cancelled ....

They've now cancelled more matches than they have played.

this may seem like a stupid question but i never found out why the lions got booted out the S15, if someone could tell me why i would be very grateful

They gave an extra slot to the Southern Kings and realized they had six teams but only five entries ... something had to give, in this case the Lions. And the Kings are all but certain to be re-relegated.

They gave an extra slot to the Southern Kings and realized they had six teams but only five entries ... something had to give, in this case the Lions. And the Kings are all but certain to be re-relegated.

There is a play off, remember.

Latest posts