Lions shame Sharks in preseason 41 - 10

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
http://www.superxv.com/news/super15_rugby_news.asp?id=28642

Both teams pretty much at full strength accept for one or two players. Both away from home. I don't know whether the hit-out against the Stormers allowed the Lions to gel more or whatever but I would be worried if I were a Sharks supporter. Well done the Lions!

That said, the guys will be hurting and will put in a big performance against us (Stormers) saturday.

Bring it.

Did the Sharks play with their strongest line up? I saw that Lambie did some conversions but still good stuff from the Lions.

Did the Sharks play with their strongest line up? I saw that Lambie did some conversions but still good stuff from the Lions.

Pretty close to their strongest, yeah. The others were available on the bench (probably only Bismarck and Mvovo the other starters) and I think Steven Sykes is injued. It should be noted that the Lions were missing their two best players and 10/12 combination in Jantjes and La Grange. Also unsure if Jano Vermaak was involved who is a senior and key player for them.

Sharks lineup for the Lions

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. John Smit (Captain)
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Ross Skeate
5. Alistair Hargreaves
6. Jacques Botes
7. Willem Alberts
8. Ryan Kankowski
9. Charl McLeod
10. Patrick Lambie
11. JP Pietersen
12. Meyer Bosman
13. Stefan Terblanche
14. Odwa Ndungane
15. Louis Ludik

Replacements:
16. Craig Burden
17. Eugene van Staden
18. Gerhard Mostert
19. Daniel Adonga
20. Conrad Hoffmann
21. Jacques–Louis Potgieter
22. Adrian Jacobs
23. Bismarck du Plessis
24. Anton Bresler
25. Jacques Engelbrecht
26. Riaan Swanepoel
27. Lwazi Mvovo
28. Mark Richards

http://www.sharksrugby.co.za/news/general/110131/Strong_Sharks_Team

The Lions ran away with it in the 2nd Half. I haven't seen the game and it may be that the Sharks made loads of substitutions and it could have disrupted their rythm in a game that was probably quite intense. Also, the Lions had the benefit of a run against the Stormers to shake off the cobwebs. Still...

Bad news is the loss of Allistair Hargreaves who is an important player for the Sharks and gasp, Andre Pretorius pulled his hamstring for the 1066th time.

Last edited:
The Sharks were very chilled out there...did not even chase any kicks properly. The Sharks have only done a session or two of proper game tarining on the field, been pretty much conditioning up till now. Will take a little bit before the guys are game ready...Stormers must watch out come saturday.

The Sharks were very chilled out there...did not even chase any kicks properly. The Sharks have only done a session or two of proper game tarining on the field, been pretty much conditioning up till now. Will take a little bit before the guys are game ready...Stormers must watch out come saturday.

Problem is for me is, I've heard that before after a warm-up defeat

Last year

Sort-it out Plumtree FFS!

Problem is for me is, I've heard that before after a warm-up defeat

Last year

Sort-it out Plumtree FFS!

True...when it comes to the Sharks it is all about attitude...Plumtree i think is too chilled sometimes, includes John Smit. We will be up for it on Sat...bummed about the injuries...was keen to see Skeato play, hardly played for us since he signed.
Bresler and Mostert our only fit locks at the Mo...Alberts can cover lock though...could be an open door 4 Ojiambo or Engelbrecht. Heard JLP was good when he came on at 10...some good news at least.

True...when it comes to the Sharks it is all about attitude...Plumtree i think is too chilled sometimes, includes John Smit. We will be up for it on Sat...bummed about the injuries...was keen to see Skeato play, hardly played for us since he signed.
Bresler and Mostert our only fit locks at the Mo...Alberts can cover lock though...could be an open door 4 Ojiambo or Engelbrecht. Heard JLP was good when he came on at 10...some good news at least.

Yes, I can imagine that the Sharks will be a bit more up for the match against the Stormers. Going to be a cracker even though it only counts towards bragging rights at this stage. All I am hoping for is zero injuries. It is a fact of life in pro rugby but its somehow more tragic if injuries occur in warm-up matches.

These matches don't say anything. The Bulls lost to Eastern Province.

These matches don't say anything. The Bulls lost to Eastern Province.

Erm, the difference is the Bulls had 0 of their match-day 22 in the line-up which faced the Kings while that was pretty much a full strength Sharks side that got nailed by the Lions. A close loss would be one thing. Getting hammered, even in a warm-up match, would have had me a little worried TBH. Attitude and intensity counts for a lot but not 31 points IMO or at least it shouldn't in pro rugby.

Did the Western Force not get trashed Stormers in the same competition last year and then beat the Stormers later in the S14?
Bring the real games, this will all be but forgotten when the real rugby starts.
I don't read much into pre season games, it's like all the media hype before a big game - the conditions, interview with captains and coaches --> all long forgotten when the real game takes place.
And after 2 months of no rugby for us, it is nice to discuss some rugga of any format and some times we get carried away

Last edited:
Erm, the difference is the Bulls had 0 of their match-day 22 in the line-up which faced the Kings while that was pretty much a full strength Sharks side that got nailed by the Lions. A close loss would be one thing. Getting hammered, even in a warm-up match, would have had me a little worried TBH.

0 of their match-day 22 line-up you say?

Jaco van de Westhuyzen, Akona Ndungane, Stefan Dippenaar (considering Jaco Pretorius [sp.] is injured), Francios Brummer, Derick Kuun, Werner Kruger and Dean Greyling should all be heavily involved with the Bulls 22 this season, the latter players more so the the first few

Latest posts