• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions-Springbok combined XV

B

bristol-iain

OK so most of us have been arguing about the tests I hope to clear the air in selecting a team made up of the best players from either side.

It will probably cause more arguing but thats not the point.

15- Rob Kearny
14- Tommy Bowe
13- Jaques Fourie
12- Jamie Roberts
11- Bryan "earlier I said he was overrated now I take it back" Habana
10- Ruan Pienaar
9- Mike Phillips

1- Gethin Jenkins
2- Bismarck du Plessis
3- John Smit ©
4- Victor Matfeild
5- Bakkies Botha
6- Tom Croft
7- Jaun Smith
8- Jamie Heaslip

There we go, now start arguing/agreeing with me, the latter hopefully.

O'gara at flyhalf. 10 minutes on the pitch, ten points scored.

But really can't argue with that. I suppose 8 is a bit of a tough one but neither of them did anything special in the first 2 games and I agree with you as Heaslip finally showed up in the dead rubber.

I'd switch Morne Steyn with Pienaar. No place for Brussouw? :(

hmm... Juan Smith was pretty average, I don't think I would put him there. John Smit at 2, and that other guy at 3 (what's his name, I ALWAYS forget him...)

Off topic: Imagine Os played in this Lions Tour. Would have been great to see the big man with a Lions Tour medal.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opperstopper @ Jul 5 2009, 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

hmm... Juan Smith was pretty average, I don't think I would put him there. John Smit at 2, and that other guy at 3 (what's his name, I ALWAYS forget him...)

Off topic: Imagine Os played in this Lions Tour. Would have been great to see the big man with a Lions Tour medal.[/b]

I did contemplate putting Morne in at 10 but to me Pienaar offered a bit more in attack aswell as being solid in defence. Plus Steyn playing 10 in a losing side hardly helped.

Brussouw was again heavily considered, Croft was a bit more potent, same with no.7, it was a toss of a coin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Opperstopper @ Jul 5 2009, 09:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Off topic: Imagine Os played in this Lions Tour. Would have been great to see the big man with a Lions Tour medal.[/b]

I'd probably have to kill myself

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 6 2009, 01:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
OK so most of us have been arguing about the tests I hope to clear the air in selecting a team made up of the best players from either side.

15- Rob Kearny
14- Tommy Bowe
13- Jaques Fourie
12- Jamie Roberts
10- Ruan Pienaar
9- Mike Phillips

1- Gethin Jenkins
2- Bismarck du Plessis
3- John Smit ©
4- Victor Matfeild
5- Bakkies Botha
6- Tom Croft
7- Jaun Smith
8- Jamie Heaslip

There we go, now start arguing/agreeing with me, the latter hopefully.[/b]

No country for Evil man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

schalk_burger_374958a.jpg

remember the no.6 and no.7 are openside and blindside respectively in south africa so technically you've got 2 blindside flankers in that loose trio.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 6 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

15- Rob Kearny
14- JP Pieterson
13- BOD
12- Jamie Roberts
10- Ruan Pienaar
9- Fourie Du Preez

1- Gethin Jenkins
2- Bismarck du Plessis
3- John Smit ©
4- Victor Matfield
5- Bakkies Botha
6- Heinrich Brussouw
7- Tom Croft
8- Pierre Spies

I do highly rate Jaque Fourie, but BOD just edges him because Fourie hardly got to play in the important games, despite his try in the second test. Switched loose forwards around because you cant have 2 blindsides. Brussouw was the only standout loose forward in either team I believe. F Du Preez, though not at his best, did bring a different dimension to the game which I thought Phillips lacked (namely an astute kicking game).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jul 6 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 6 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15- Rob Kearny
14- JP Pieterson
13- BOD
12- Jamie Roberts
10- Ruan Pienaar
9- Fourie Du Preez

1- Gethin Jenkins
2- Bismarck du Plessis
3- John Smit ©
4- Victor Matfield
5- Bakkies Botha
6- Heinrich Brussouw
7- Tom Croft
8- Pierre Spies

I do highly rate Jaque Fourie, but BOD just edges him because Fourie hardly got to play in the important games, despite his try in the second test. Switched loose forwards around because you cant have 2 blindsides. Brussouw was the only standout loose forward in either team I believe. F Du Preez, though not at his best, did bring a different dimension to the game which I thought Phillips lacked (namely an astute kicking game).
[/b][/quote]

Thats Mike Phillips, instead of thinking "a nice little cip behind the defense will lead to I try" which SH's like Du Preez would think Phillips think "CHAAARRGGGEEEE" and tries to bludgeon through. It depends on the gameplan, in the 3 games I felt that Phillips' "gung-ho" approach was more effective than the cheeky kicks of Du Preez

15. Jesus
14. Bowe
13. BOD
12. Roberts
11. Habana
10. Jones
9. Du Preez
1. Jenkins
2. Du Plessis
3. Tempted to put Adam in, but he only played about 70 minutes over 2 tests, so Smit.
4. Botha
5. Matfield
6. Croft
7. Brussow
8. Heaslip

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 6 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jul 6 2009, 01:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Jul 6 2009, 09:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

15- Rob Kearny
14- JP Pieterson
13- BOD
12- Jamie Roberts
10- Ruan Pienaar
9- Fourie Du Preez

1- Gethin Jenkins
2- Bismarck du Plessis
3- John Smit ©
4- Victor Matfield
5- Bakkies Botha
6- Heinrich Brussouw
7- Tom Croft
8- Pierre Spies

[/b][/quote]

Thats Mike Phillips, instead of thinking "a nice little cip behind the defense will lead to I try" which SH's like Du Preez would think Phillips think "CHAAARRGGGEEEE" and tries to bludgeon through. It depends on the gameplan, in the 3 games I felt that Phillips' "gung-ho" approach was more effective than the cheeky kicks of Du Preez
[/b][/quote]

Well in fairness to Du Preez, first he was kicking the ball to Lee Byrne and then Byrne goes off injured and low and behold....what comes on turns out to be an even scarier demon.

from Lions:

15=Kearny
12=Roberts

I cant see more players from them in the Best XV of the series.

EDIT: You choice of the number 9 is pathetic. You can't be serious man

1. Beast
2. Plessis
3. Smit ©
4. Botha
5. Matfield
Blindside - Smith
Openside - Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Jones
11. Habana
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Pietersen
15. Kearney

South Africa 10 - 5 Lions

Smit and Smith played in all 3 tests. It was tight between Brussouw and Wallace, who had a great time spoiling and stealing ball against Burger and topped it off with a few excellent carries and tackles, but Brussouw won the head the head in the first test.

Heaslip was the top tackler in the first test, and was a bit hindered by Croft IMO in that he had to change his natural game.

Pienaar had a great first test, and a very poor second test, Steyn is a great kicker but stands too deep and runs across field, doesn't hold defenders or threaten the gain line which puts the players outside him at a disadvantage when his pack isn't on top, like in the third test. Stephen Jones on the other hand plays very flat, and does hold defenders and threaten the gain line, makes more space for the centres and is much nicer to watch, easy decision.

11-15 picks itself.

Agree about Croft in the side meaning Heaslip having to change gis game a bit but I don't blame Croft for that by any means because Croft was indeed being asked to play in a way that was sort of new to him in the test series....in that it's very different to how he plays for Leicester.

I agree, but Smith started 3 tests, and while he wasn't at his best, played well. Croft was good too no doubt, not as good as Will Greenwood was saying "Everything positive the Lions did, Shaw and Croft were involved" (after the second test) :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jul 7 2009, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. Beast
2. Plessis
3. Smit ©
4. Botha
5. Matfield
Blindside - Smith
Openside - Brussouw
8. Heaslip
9. Du Preez
10. Jones
11. Habana
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Pietersen
15. Kearney

South Africa 10 - 5 Lions

Smit and Smith played in all 3 tests. It was tight between Brussouw and Wallace, who had a great time spoiling and stealing ball against Burger and topped it off with a few excellent carries and tackles, but Brussouw won the head the head in the first test.

Heaslip was the top tackler in the first test, and was a bit hindered by Croft IMO in that he had to change his natural game.

Pienaar had a great first test, and a very poor second test, Steyn is a great kicker but stands too deep and runs across field, doesn't hold defenders or threaten the gain line which puts the players outside him at a disadvantage when his pack isn't on top, like in the third test. Stephen Jones on the other hand plays very flat, and does hold defenders and threaten the gain line, makes more space for the centres and is much nicer to watch, easy decision.

11-15 picks itself.[/b]
Beast>Jenkins?
I understand maybe wanting an all SA front row, but jenkins outplayed beast in every aspect of the game

Beaset showed his ability to get away with boring in on a frankly useless prop like Vickery in both the 1st and 3rd tests, but he managed precisely nothing against Jenkins nor Hayes.

Hardly an amazing series for front rowers, but the Beast wasn't special.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jul 8 2009, 03:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Beaset showed his ability to get away with boring in on a frankly useless prop like Vickery in both the 1st and 3rd tests, but he managed precisely nothing against Jenkins nor Hayes.

Hardly an amazing series for front rowers, but the Beast wasn't special.[/b]

He is 23 year old lets talk in 5 years time. What a load of bull that he was boring in all the time.

Latest posts