• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions tickets sold out

S

Steve-o

http://www.keo.co.za/2009/02/17/lions-tickets-sold-out/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Tickets for certain Lions matches have already been sold out.

Tickets for all the games are being purchased in two phases, with the first phase nearly complete after beginning in late November. This first phase was reserved for season-ticket and suite-holders, and an announcement will be made on Friday which games still have tickets left.

"The impact has been that some matches have already been sold out," said Andre Homan, SA Rugby's project manager for the Lions tour, "but we will make an announcement on Friday. That marks 100 days before the series kicks off."

The series starts against the Highveld XV on 30 May in Rustenberg but Homan said unsurprisingly the three Tests were most popular.

"We made a commitment to our loyal supporters they would have first option on tickets and the interest from them has been exceptional," he said. "The Test matches are obviously in high demand and there has been considerable uptake in Cape Town for the two non-Tests."

"We will announce all the details of what tickets are available at what price and where they can be purchased on Friday."[/b]

Just shows how excited people are for the 2009 tour and what high regard South Africans have for the Lions.

Not all tickets are sold out

Last year we took a tour with Rugby Is My Religion to South Africa to follow the Wallabys in their two tests. We had an outstanding time.

I have been checking their website and they say they still have tickets available ???

Check out the link ....

Rugby Is My Religion

There were still tickets for the Emerging Springboks v Lions game yesterday. I know because I got myself some! :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 5 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sold out like Ellis park Wednesday?[/b]

ohoq9.jpg

I think the article was focusing on the Tests more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 5 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Those tickets were more expensive than your average Springbok tickets, and well, just look at the state of the Golden Lions.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 5 2009, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think the article was focusing on the Tests more.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 5 2009, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those tickets were more expensive than your average Springbok tickets, and well, just look at the state of the Golden Lions.
[/b][/quote]

fair point but it's still only once every 12 years now that the Lions are in town.

Thought the Union would have made more efforts with the local clubs and schools and given out a rake of free tickets to try and get some sort of atmosphere.

Don't know too much about Joburg only the stereotypes but are we talking about Ellis Park being in a dodgy area of town or not?

Will be interesting to see what sort of crowd we get tomorrow at Bloemfontein, is that stadium ready for the world cup, cause it was a building site when Wales were there last year?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 6 2009, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't know too much about Joburg only the stereotypes but are we talking about Ellis Park being in a dodgy area of town or not?[/b]
Looks like it. There was a thread on keo.co.za explaining (can't find it): ticket prices way too high - 225 rand when 70 is normal for s14 matches - plus midweek, no place to park safely in the evening in a dangerous area, and it was "cold"!

Pussies! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Jun 5 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jun 6 2009, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know too much about Joburg only the stereotypes but are we talking about Ellis Park being in a dodgy area of town or not?[/b]
Looks like it. There was a thread on keo.co.za explaining (can't find it): ticket prices way too high - 225 rand when 70 is normal for s14 matches - plus midweek, no place to park safely in the evening in a dangerous area, and it was "cold"!

Pussies! :p
[/b][/quote]

Yeah Hillbrow is a really dodgy area of Jo'burg. On your way walking to the stadium there is a strong scent of urine along the way. It's one of the most dirtiest place I've seen in a city, besides Ellis Park which is like and oasis in a desert. From what I understand it's like the Brixton of SA but with its own African "style" to it. Here is an article about it from Jo'burgs official site, it has a very positive spin on the place though as you'd expect. Here is a short documentary kind of thing which has a more realistic perspective.

And honestly the tickets are extremely expensive. Those R225 tickets you talking about will only get you a seat behind the post wihle the R70 S14 tickets will atleast get you seats opposite the grand stand. A Test ticket for the Lions is around R1500 and those are the cheap seats! That is like 4 times more than the expensive tickets for a Springbok game.
The crowd was poor at Ellis Park but there were 20 000 people there, only 4 000 less than the Munster vs All Blacks game.

6,500 less than the Munster/All Black match, which was completely sold out and would still have been sold out if the capacity was 80,000. Poor excuse mate.

I am a bit worried about Brussouw having the game of his life and then some to stick it to PdV, would have preferred Wallace or Williams at 7, but I guess Worsley out muscling him could work.

Looking forward to it now :) Just hope our midfield clicks.

I believe the Lions are the most poorly attended team in the country actually, certainly didn't expect them to get anywhere near even half a stadium filled up over there, it's gotten rather pathetic really, would have preferred a Bulls vs. BI Lions game to this rubbish.

I'd expect the Sharks and WP games to sell really well, not sure about the Cheetahs game though, guess we'll find out in a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 6 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
6,500 less than the Munster/All Black match, which was completely sold out and would still have been sold out if the capacity was 80,000. Poor excuse mate.[/b]
Not making excuses, just putting perspective to the whole situation since you have a serious lack of understanding that not everywhere is safe like Europe and not everybody is as rich as Europeans.

BTW An Tarbh
fair point but it's still only once every 12 years now that the Lions are in town.[/b]

This is the exact mentality rugby needs to move away from. Tickets for International games during the FIFA 2010 WC are half the price of these Provincial games the Lions are playing. And a FIFA WC comes once in a life time near mind 12 years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 6 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 6 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6,500 less than the Munster/All Black match, which was completely sold out and would still have been sold out if the capacity was 80,000. Poor excuse mate.[/b]
Not making excuses, just putting perspective to the whole situation since you have a serious lack of understanding that not everywhere is safe like Europe and not everybody is as rich as Europeans.

BTW An Tarbh
fair point but it's still only once every 12 years now that the Lions are in town.[/b]

This is the exact mentality rugby needs to move away from. Tickets for International games during the FIFA 2010 WC are half the price of these Provincial games the Lions are playing. And a FIFA WC comes once in a life time near mind 12 years.
[/b][/quote]

Totally agree.

But I don't think Tarbh was trying to justify the prices merely point out that considering this only happens every 12 years you think people would have saif 'fock it, I'll spend the doe'.

I think he also said earlier that for these games which were never gonna sell out at those prices they could've have done it the good ole Irish way of selling tickets cheapio to school-goers through the school and through the clubs and all that kinda lark.

Always works a treat over here.

I wish more people would pull a Nick Mallet and start complaining about this BS.

I absolutely hate how everyone just keeps going on about how great the occasion is, but they never comment on the super inflated ticket prices,

But I don't think Tarbh was trying to justify the prices merely point out that considering this only happens every 12 years you think people would have saif 'fock it, I'll spend the doe'.[/b]

I have waited 12 years to watch the Lions play in my country again and I can't go to a game because the f***ing tickets are simply too f***ing overpriced, it's not about coughing up the dough, it's about quit literally not having the dough to go watch the bloody games.

I think you people are seriously overestimating the budgets of a average south african.

Hit the nail on the head there Boggle.

Unfortunately money talks, especially whenever "Europeans" (using the term loosely) are involved. Case in point were tickets for the SA vs Wales game being more expensive than SA vs New Zealand. Ridiculous considering you would of paid that type of money to see a team get whipped 43-17.

well I didn't realise that cheap seats for the tests were 4 times the normal price, that really is scandalous and heads should roll within the Union or whoever's in charge of the ticketing policy.

I wouldn't pay â'¬130 for a cheap seat at a test match, god knows what the dear seats are!

I agree with you, and think it is a bit short sighted by the SARU/Lions/Whoever sets the ticket prices, A sold out Ellis park at R70 or maybe a small bit more would be much more preferable to a more than half empty lifeless one.

It's a supply-demand thing really. 50 000 Britons (again using the term loosely) are expected to come into SA for this tour, which is expected to pump R1billion into the economy. SARU is cashing in on the occasion naturally, and who can really blame them? I know it sucks for the average South African like me but I understand the reality of the situation. SARU needs this money to keep our players in the country.
I mean a team like the Sharks or the Bulls can't even compete with teams like Bristol and Worcester on the salaries they offer. SARU is keeping our rugby strong by obtaining capital for salaries and development but it's turning its back on the real SA fans.

Ticket prices for the provincial games were available for £20, not exactly wallet-busting.

The average attendance (19,427) for this mammoth tour so far is not far off last seasons average crowd for Bradford City playing in footballs 4th division. :D

Attendance v Royal XV: 12,352
Attendance v Golden Lions: 22,218
Attendance v Cheetahs: 23,710

Latest posts