• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions tour: Australia squad

Oh, I forgot the Lions were actually playing someone this year.

Oh, I forgot the Lions were actually playing someone this year.

Two teams will be selected from one big 46 man squad. But the names are drawn randomly from a bucket, containing the names of every player in Great Britain, France, and Ireland. They also don't know which position they will be playing. The shirts are numbered randomly, and they must find one that fits.
Actually, I think this is how Deans has done his squad anyways.

I think its hard to look past Cooper for 10 for the Aussies, hes playing well, he has an established partnership with Genia, he seems to have developed a better tactical game with the Reds, providing a calming influence at times also I've seen him make a few tackles lately. Beal has been out of sorts so I wouldn't consider him atm, JOC could do a good job for the Aussies at 10 honestly he seems like he could be good in any position in the back-line I think the best Aussie back line would look something like this
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ione
12. JOC could have Tapuai and shift JOC to the wing.
13. AAC
14. Tomane
15. Mogg

Anyway they have plenty of talent for Deans its about sticking them in the right place.

Honestly, you can throw together the Australian backline in just about any sort of order and it'll still make a mess of the opposition (on a good day).

Whether Cooper/Beale or even O'Connor gets the nod at 10 is relatively important, but they'll all probably take the ball at 1st receiver over the course of the match. That and AAC's superback credentials mean the backline will look threatening no matter what order the 10 through 15 shirts are handed out in.

What's the story with Smith and Burgess. Can they be considered for Lions games

One of the best news possible, the return of Burgess.
He can wake the team up, instead of slowing down the pace like Genia did often in his last year, before the injury.

In the last 20-25 minutes he can play a big role in a Wallaby match, as he's a pitbull.

Haven't see enough of Smith, but has he been better then Gil? Because if so thats so serious poaching talent the Aussies will have.

Haven't see enough of Smith, but has he been better then Gil? Because if so thats so serious poaching talent the Aussies will have.

I would say better than Gil, yes, but it may be biased. Gil is great at the breakdown but Smith is slightly better plus he's got a more polished all round game in terms of support play and defending. Plus Smith has something like 110 caps? Played in the 2001 Lions series? That kind of experience is absolutely invaluable. I have always held Smith with high regard though so take my words with a pinch of salt.

Smith has been fantastic and probably the form 7 in Australia. He has experience as well in international rugby. For me he would be a starter for Australia with either Gill or Hooper on the bench.

Liam Gill support play is the best seen after Ritchie McCaw. Better than Smith's one, because Smith is now used often as a distributor, he often is the first receiver, he has a playmaking role among the Brumbies.
IMO he's playing better than Smith.
You can see Smith everywhere, but Gill... you often don't see him, but he's killing you. A Silent Assassin, as in the 2 rounds he missed, the Reds struggled amazingly at bd.

Maybe Smith has lost some brilliance (32 years-old), as well as he struggled in the first rounds to regain form and physicality he's still a monster.

We'll see this weekend, both classy player, both can be in the squad: the "old" Jedi, and the young Padawan :D

Tackles Missed Tackles Pilfers Turnovers

Gill[TABLE="class: ism-table-eiw-hist ismJsStatsGrouped, width: 637"]
<tbody>[TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]78[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]7[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]8[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]3[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Smith
[TABLE="class: ism-table-eiw-hist ismJsStatsGrouped, width: 637"]
<tbody>[TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]82[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]11[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]5[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]4[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

So as a pilfer is an actual turnover without a penalty Gill is leading.

They're both pretty even but Gill has been one of my favorite players since first emerging and I'd probably go with him though I suppose Smith could go 6.

Personally if I were Deans;
8 Auelua
THIS!
Perhaps he's to one-dimensional for the Aussie selectors, but much like Willem Alberts for the springboks, you need someone who will consistently break the gainline if you want your backline to be able to play creatively.

I'd go with a mix of Smith, Hooper, Gill and Auelua, with Gill and Smith being the optionals, really gives you everything you need.
Australia's problem is never going to be about the backline, they have quality and depth there (except perhaps for Outside Centre), but if they get dominated in set-pieces and in the breakdown they aren't going to be able to unleash what they are capable of.

THIS!
Perhaps he's to one-dimensional for the Aussie selectors, but much like Willem Alberts for the springboks, you need someone who will consistently break the gainline if you want your backline to be able to play creatively.

I'd go with a mix of Smith, Hooper, Gill and Auelua, with Gill and Smith being the optionals, really gives you everything you need.
Australia's problem is never going to be about the backline, they have quality and depth there (except perhaps for Outside Centre), but if they get dominated in set-pieces and in the breakdown they aren't going to be able to unleash what they are capable of.

Do you mean they lack quality or depth in outside centre? Choose your words wisely. AAC is the second best outside centre in the world, first obviously being Smith, so I think they're fine. In terms of replacement, Digby Ioane is pretty hand there, got a few guys for the Reds in centre who play well. I think the South Africans have a problem in the centres, in the fact all they can produce is 12's and have not found a suitable replacement for Fourie yet, but definitely not Australia.

THIS!

Using the Sharks and breaking the gain line is a bad example to use. Willem Alberts standing outside is predictable. Hence all the slow ball.

Do you mean they lack quality or depth in outside centre? Choose your words wisely. AAC is the second best outside centre in the world, first obviously being Smith, so I think they're fine. In terms of replacement, Digby Ioane is pretty hand there, got a few guys for the Reds in centre who play well. I think the South Africans have a problem in the centres, in the fact all they can produce is 12's and have not found a suitable replacement for Fourie yet, but definitely not Australia.
13 is a sort of problem for the Stormers playing with 2 inside centers. But do SA really need to find a replacement since we kick the ball then try to win the line out most of the time. So you back line and brilliant wingers do a lot of chasing. Best of Fourie sadly was wasted on a clown of a coach IMO

13 is a sort of problem for the Stormers playing with 2 inside centers. But do SA really need to find a replacement since we kick the ball then try to win the line out most of the time. So you back line and brilliant wingers do a lot of chasing. Best of Fourie sadly was wasted on a clown of a coach IMO

I just don't see the point in having good players like Jantjes, Lambie, Goosen etc if you're not going to use them to their full potential. Might as well stick with Morne Steyn or Peter Grant. I definitely agree with the clown of a coach comment. It's funny though, countries either struggle with 12's or 13's, never really both it seems. France has brilliant no 12's, New Zealand has brilliant no 13's, Australia has brilliant no 12's, South Africa has brilliant no 12's, Wales have brilliant no 12's etc.

Latest posts