• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions tour to S. Africa

N

nick_w

We're only two weeks into the Six Nations and talk has already turned to the Lions tour to South Africa and most importantly, who is going to be coach.

Gatland has said today (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...sh/7243583.stm) that he feels he would be better than the last Southern Hemisphere coach (Henry in 2001), and with the state of Northern Hemisphere rugby, is it going to be better to hire a coach from abroad or risk it with a home grown hero?

Thoughts??

It'll be McGeechan. Again. [/b]

You phrase that as though it's a bad thing. The guy knows how to run a successful tour, especially in South Africa. 12 years is a long time in professional sport, but I'm sure there would be plenty of positive things he could take on board from the victory back in '97. Including getting the players to bond, something which seems to have been a struggle on both the last two tours.

I wouldn't mind seeing Andy Robinson and Gareth Jenkins take the helms.

Whatever happened to those two...

<div class='quotemain'> It'll be McGeechan. Again. [/b]

You phrase that as though it's a bad thing. The guy knows how to run a successful tour, especially in South Africa. 12 years is a long time in professional sport, but I'm sure there would be plenty of positive things he could take on board from the victory back in '97. Including getting the players to bond, something which seems to have been a struggle on both the last two tours.
[/b][/quote]

Thats right, McGeechan is by far the best man for the job.

It would be interesting to ask Philippe Saint André to coach the Lions. It would be a real novelty.

I'd like to do it. I'm just putting it out there. I do coach, so maybe I can bring something unique and interesting to the tour. So, you guys make some calls and let's make this happen. :cheers:

What about EOS? I thought last year he was the clear favourite to do the job.

I hope they get Jake White, he will know the opposition inside out and with a bit of help from McGeechan etc in terms of player choice i think the Lions would have a damm successful tour. Not that i hope they will :D

White and McGeechan for me, both are world class coaches and it would be intereting see White take on his former team!

White and McGeechan for me, both are world class coaches and it would be intereting see White take on his former team!
[/b]

I think McGeechan it´s the obvious choice though i wouldn`t mind if jake white took the job

Am I missing something here, I thought McGeechan said he wasn't going on the Lions tour shortly after the last one???

Am I missing something here, I thought McGeechan said he wasn't going on the Lions tour shortly after the last one???
[/b]

Well 10 years is a long time.. :unsure:

I'd quite like to see Jake White involved along with McGeechan. The formula of someone who knows how the Lions tour works and someone who knows the country your touring in is a tantalizing thought.

I'd also like to see someone who hasn't been strongly involved with any type of international set up, almost to bring in some fresh thinking. Keeping that in mind i'd like to see someone like Dean Richards involved, possibly as a forwards coach.

Think about it. Good coaching past at Leicester, experience with playing for the Lions and he would be a good senior figure for some of the younger players on tour.

Jake White?
Against his own trained springbok?

Hope not, a slap in the face of national pride - and his style of rugby would bore me to tears.

It was never going to be Jake White, not after what happened when Henry was in charge. Ian was always the clear choice.

Latest posts