List some unique running, tackling, kicking and general gameplay styles

dan the man

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
List some unique running, tackling, kicking and general gameplay styles

There is another thread about unique goal-kickers, but what i would love to see in Rugby 2012 would be unique running and tackling styles.

Some New Zealand examples would be:
Ma'a Nonu's ability to break the line and his 'swagger'
Cory Janes fend
Sonny Bill Williams carry the ball in one hand

Unique playing styles is a must eg. Dan Carter should never attempt a drop goal unless its full-time and his team is behind but Johnny Wilkinson, Morne Steyn or Steven Jones would be much more likely to do so. Aaron Cruden should try stabbing a grubber kick through quite often and Stephen Donald should use the chip kick... alot.

Post some of your favourite unique players

Yeah, it would be great to have Coopers stance, i just listed a few off the top of my head.

Conrad Smiths un-co running style.. and Zac Guildfords too.

Quade Coopers elusive jiggles and great sidesteps.

SBW's offloads.

Regan Kings ability to slide through defence.

Stephen Jones ability to dictate the backs.

Theres a few scrum halves who are aggressive, so to have them run like a flanker will be great. players like mike phillips and tavis knoyle, jimmy cowan, piri weepu etc - the scrum halves in the world of that nature (big strong aggressive). so the ability to burst through from around the edges even if there are big players ahead of them. a smaller scrum half would rely on his quick feet and speed to get away.

Jon Davies strong bursts from centre and big tackling.

Dan Biggar to throw interception passes, i have not seen a player do it more often than him!

James Hook attacking flair.

David Lyons and Xavier Rush ability to control the back of a scrum and secure ball for their team. basically your old school no.8. Not many of them around anymore. Name escapes but is it read with NZ?? he's the same nature as the two mentioned.

Regan Kings ability to slide through defence.

Stephen Jones ability to dictate the backs.

Theres a few scrum halves who are aggressive, so to have them run like a flanker will be great. players like mike phillips and tavis knoyle, jimmy cowan, piri weepu etc - the scrum halves in the world of that nature (big strong aggressive). so the ability to burst through from around the edges even if there are big players ahead of them. a smaller scrum half would rely on his quick feet and speed to get away.

Jon Davies strong bursts from centre and big tackling.

Dan Biggar to throw interception passes, i have not seen a player do it more often than him!

James Hook attacking flair.

David Lyons and Xavier Rush ability to control the back of a scrum and secure ball for their team. basically your old school no.8. Not many of them around anymore. Name escapes but is it read with NZ?? he's the same nature as the two mentioned.

I think you're a bit off from the description there.. By these unique styles i think he means like, if there was a faceless generic player model or wireframe, you would be able to instantly recognize what player they were supposed to be by the unique subtitles of their play. Like Ma'a Nonus little swagger he puts on when hes running, the way Joe Roks sort of hunches his shoulders up like a cat before he takes off or how Brian Habana holds the ball in two hands and swings it from side to side when hes sprinting. Those are things you can physically see. "James Hooks attacking flair" or "Regan Kings ability to slide through the defense" isn't really something you can see.

Just get some motion captures of Benny Hill for Quade Cooper :p

I think you're a bit off from the description there.. By these unique styles i think he means like, if there was a faceless generic player model or wireframe, you would be able to instantly recognize what player they were supposed to be by the unique subtitles of their play. Like Ma'a Nonus little swagger he puts on when hes running, the way Joe Roks sort of hunches his shoulders up like a cat before he takes off or how Brian Habana holds the ball in two hands and swings it from side to side when hes sprinting. Those are things you can physically see. "James Hooks attacking flair" or "Regan Kings ability to slide through the defense" isn't really something you can see.

Quite right Ranger... The players don't have to be the greats of the game (although they'd need to have reasonably high profiles otherwise they probably wouldn't bother even giving them a unique face)... just 'unique' take Dan Carter for example, Amazing player but nothing that unique about the way he runs. and his kicking style is pretty textbook. he'd have to have his own goal-kicking style but as far as general gameplay goes he'd be pretty generic.

And please enable big hits .... Bakkies botha at ruck Schalk Burger , Sibal , Brian Lima , Jacques Fourie tackles etc etc ... We need big hits !!!! But all players that usaully make big tackles for there team should have the ability to do the same in the game... So that the other team can knock the ball , or get knocked backwards ...

Quite right Ranger... The players don't have to be the greats of the game (although they'd need to have reasonably high profiles otherwise they probably wouldn't bother even giving them a unique face)... just 'unique' take Dan Carter for example, Amazing player but nothing that unique about the way he runs. and his kicking style is pretty textbook. he'd have to have his own goal-kicking style but as far as general gameplay goes he'd be pretty generic.

agreed

Juan de Jongh - "magic feet", he has a great side-step.
Francois Hougaard - very quick service when playing no.9.
Habana and JDV - almost always going for intercepts when defending.

Buxton Popoali'is awesome 'jump in the air' sidestep.. if he makes the game, i doubt he will though. anybody else do that type of sidestep? the karmichael hunt type?

The way islanders such as (1) epi taione 2)the tuilangi brothers and 3)rabeni) come into tackles at full pace and look to break the person infront of them. The running styles of jacques fourie , Lwazi Mvovo and Tendai "Beast" Mtawarira .

Latest posts