• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Liverpool's next manager

Saints1

Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Former Real Madrid manager Manuel Pellegrini's odds have dropped from 90-1 to 5-1 in the space of 2 hours this afternoon. I had heard that he was going to be spoken to by Dalglish some time over the next 48 hours.

I'd be pleased with that. Had a great season with Real last season despite winning nothing, speaks fluent English and can work within a budget following his time at Villarreal.

I felt his reputation got damaged at Real Madrid this season. Im not so sure about him. Id like to see Mark Hughes given a possible chance. I still think a British manager could do a job there.

Mark Hughes not good enough to manage LFC.

Rob, he got the highest points total in Real Madrid's La Liga history - that's impressive. Like Liverpool a few seasons ago when our points total would have won the league in 8 of the last 12 seasons. They are up against a freakishly good Barca team. A poll of Real's fans meant 72% wanted him to stay on... He must be doing something right.

Or was, anyway.

I think Hughes is good enough, was treated unfairly by Man City and did good work at Blackburn and Wales but the trend is to go foreign. Lets face it it wasn't hard to get that points total with those players.

It's not just his time at Real though, look at the job he did with Villarreal in his 4 years there.

Mark Hughes is not good enough to manage a team looking to get into the Champions League. That will be the very most we'll get next season and it's not very likely but it will be our aim regardless. He's OK with mid table kickers like Blackburn and he was doing OK for City but there's no way he would have gotten them into the top 6 I don't think.

It's not just his time at Real though, look at the job he did with Villarreal in his 4 years there.

Mark Hughes is not good enough to manage a team looking to get into the Champions League. That will be the very most we'll get next season and it's not very likely but it will be our aim regardless. He's OK with mid table kickers like Blackburn and he was doing OK for City but there's no way he would have gotten them into the top 6 I don't think.

Before he got sacked they were in the top 6 lol.

Nah his time with Villareal was pretty magic. I tend to think of him as the manager of them rather than Real. If he does go to Liverpool will be good competition. Hopefully money will be made available and those idiots at top go.

Would prefer Martin O'Neill or Roy Hodgson, or even Dalglish until new owners come in.

I've had this discussion with my housemates.
When Hughes was sacked by City they were 4th in the league, in the semi-finals of a domestic competition and they had lost the least amount of games out of any team in the country. Admittedly they obviously weren't playing the attractive football the owners wanted, but even so, they were getting decent results - their only league defeat had been to a 96th minute winner at Old Trafford (The greatest moment of the season, may I add).
So they sack him and bring in a 'recognisable' and 'successful' manager.
My gran could have won Serie A with Inter when Mancini was in charge.
I'm not saying he would have brought Champions League football to City - we'll never know - but he's definitely a better manager than some people here are giving him credit for.
Benitez has almost single-handedly destroyed Liverpool FC, yet he's going to land the Inter job. Go figure.

Benitez gets the Inter job because he is considered a very good manager by most football thinkers. If you think Mark Hughes would do any better your are kidding yourself.

Liverpool really should have kept him, when you have a 5m transfer budget why spend 6m getting rid of a manager and millions more getting a new one?

In a way i'm sad Benitez has gone. The American owners have really done a great disservice to such a fantastic club. I would LOVE for jose mourinho to have the job. Even though it probably is not a possibility.

Benitez gets the Inter job because he is considered a very good manager by most football thinkers. If you think Mark Hughes would do any better your are kidding yourself.

Liverpool really should have kept him, when you have a 5m transfer budget why spend 6m getting rid of a manager and millions more getting a new one?

He is a good manager, but he walks into one of the biggest jobs in world football after presiding over a disaster, yet Hughes isn't really getting considered even though he has never actually failed anywhere. I appreciate the difference in class and difficulties of jobs, but he has proved he atleast deserves a chance at a big club.

Hodgson has just been appointed on a 3 year deal. I'm not happy but it's not been a big secret especially for the last 2 weeks or so, so I've had a lot of time to prepare myself.

Latest posts