• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Local Rugby League in South Wales

Jayatron

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Ireland
Does anybody play or know anyone who plays in South Wales? Looking to play a little in the Summer and not sure where to start.

Another thing, does anyone know any online sources that explains all the rules - all of them and just not the simple basic ones.

Thanks.

Guy I went to Uni with plays for the South Wales Scorpions

Anyone I spot playing it in south Wales I usually tend to shoot ;)

There's a new team just started up called the South Wales Hornets - they're a feeder for the Scorpions (who are a semi-pro side).
Think they train at Glamorgan University's sports grounds.
Where abouts in South Wales are you based?

Rules wise I learnt them off of Wikipedia before starting up :p

Anyone I spot playing it in south Wales I usually tend to shoot a look of admiration and respect ;)

There's a new team just started up called the South Wales Hornets - they're a feeder for the Scorpions (who are a semi-pro side).
Think they train at Glamorgan University's sports grounds.
Where abouts in South Wales are you based?

In Glamorgan?? Really, that's good. I go to Glamorgan, be here over the summer as well. Just gotta find out how to get involved? How did you find out about this?

Thanks for the help by the way guys. It is appreciated.

Yeah I checked those websites. Got an email address so hopefully hear back from them soon. Just gotta learn the rules now.

Yeah I checked those websites. Got an email address so hopefully hear back from them soon. Just gotta learn the rules now.
Have a mooch through these, and you'll pick up the basics:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/rules_and_equipment/default.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rugby_league_rules

Y
ou'll pick up a lot in training just playing touch, as well. Could try and watch a couple of games on TV, too (or the highlights on iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv/categories/sport/rugby_league)

I played a little in New Zealand in training and was suppose to play two games for the local League side while suspended but I never got past the basics of the sport. I have the whole tackle count thing and the likes but not the more complicated stuff like the exact rules on the tackle area, rolling the ball back after the tackle, line outs and penalty offences. Haven't looked into it in depth but on a quick search have found little.

I am sure though I will learn on the day but I wouldn't mind a working knowledge. Again thanks for your help.

Tackle area: Keep them on the floor until the referee tells you to move (at which point you get straight off, as any further interference with the player can be penalised be the ref) - it allows your defence to set properly. Two "markers" go in on defence as well, and stand directly in front of the attacking player who just got tackled - they have to be directly in front,otherwise a penalty can be given for "markers not square".
Play the ball: Roll it backwards but make sure you make contact with your foot. You don't have to put the ball down and then roll it with your foot (though could be easier to start with), but some form of contact is needed (if you watch pro players they start rolling it as they stand up and basically brush it with their foot) - it's a penalty if you don't so it's important to remember.
Lineouts are basically a quick tap penalty - If it's kicked out then someone on the non-kicking-side (i.e. whose lineout it is) gets the ball and passses it to a player on the pitch (so like a quick lineout). They then take a quick tap penalty (usually tap it and then pass it to a prop who is running on to it at pace). If there has been a 40/20 kick (kicked from behind your 40m and bounces out over their 20m) it's a scrum awarded to the kicking team.

Another thing that some union players forget (and league players remember too well when crossing over) is that you can throw the ball over your own deadball line and it's a goal line dropout to your team. It's also a goal line dropout if you carry the ball in to your try area and you ground it/are tackled, and if the ball is kicked and it bounces in to the in goal area and you catch it and are tackled. If you catch the ball on the full in your in goal it's a 20m restart (quick tap on the 20m line).

There's a few bits and bobs to get your head round, but it all falls in to place eventually.

Had my first experience with Rugby League tonight. Wasn't to bad. They trained on a 3G pitch and I didn't have trainers so ended up having a one on one with the seconds coach going over the basics before moving over to the grass and doing some set pieces. Not a great introduction but most certainly not bad. Everyone was very friendly.

I did more or less get told that I was soft and that my technical ability was awful but what could I expect from a proper league head. My softness and ability has got be pretty far so far in the world of union, but I do love the way they put the focus on being proper hard men. So many little differences in the two codes as well.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Had my first experience with Rugby League tonight. Wasn't to bad. They trained on a 3G pitch and I didn't have trainers so ended up having a one on one with the seconds coach going over the basics before moving over to the grass and doing some set pieces. Not a great introduction but most certainly not bad. Everyone was very friendly.

I did more or less get told that I was soft and that my technical ability was awful but what could I expect from a proper league head. My softness and ability has got be pretty far so far in the world of union, but I do love the way they put the focus on being proper hard men. So many little differences in the two codes as well.

Anyway thanks for the help.

I believe it's pronounced big "Aaahhhhhhddddd" *Vinnie Jones accent* men..

Good to hear from someone making the union league transition keep us posted.

Also what do you feel made them think you were lacking the "AAAHHHDDDDD man " persona ? Do you think they're just testing you or are they actually so wound up about it?

After only a few training sessions I have been thrown into the deep end with my first game on Saturday. Hopefully make an appearance off the bench at the end. I've only had a few training sessions, 2-3, and still not sure of the rules so I am a little nervous.

The training is good though. Good set up with good facilities with a lot of individual training sessions. And I can tell you why League will never take off in the Valley's: All the Scorpion players had to do a drugs test, that wouldn't suit the abundant supply of roiders here in South Wales.

Aha, they love the juice down South :lol:
Good luck for Saturday, if you've got any questions/queries on the game then post them up and I/anyone else can try and help out.

Latest posts