TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_47882274_high-five.jpg

London 2012 organisers have unveiled cartoon animations named Wenlock and Mandeville as the mascots for the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

Focus groups of children and families helped form the designs and children's author Michael Morpurgo added a story concept for an animated series.

"We've created our mascots for children," said Locog chair Lord Coe.

"They will connect young people with sport, and tell the story of our proud Olympic and Paralympic history."

The characters are named after the village of Much Wenlock in Shropshire - which hosted a precursor to the modern Olympic Games in the 19th Century - and the birthplace of the Paralympic Games, Stoke Mandeville hospital in Buckinghamshire.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/london_2012/8690467.stm

Like the names (after knowning what they mean) not too sure about the looks though. Would prefer something that reflects Britain, these could be the mascots for anywhere in the world really,

However, after the travesty that is the logo, these looks much much better

I like them to be honest, they do symbolise Britain in my eyes. The one of the right at the top of his head has the famous London Black cab lights and the shape of his head is meant to reflect part of the Olympic roof. The paralympic one on the left head is shaped like the podium and also what they said on the One Show symbolises something associated with the paralympics. The eyes are also meant to be video cameras to video their adventures round the UK. They were also forged in Bolton ironworks. They are also going to have their own little TV series for kids. I think that a good deal of planning has gone into it. Its a pitty that the logo looks like Lisa Simpson giving Bart head!

one looks Japanese and the other looks like a childlike Leela, very British indeed!

Latest posts