• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Irish moving back to London

They are also taking Wasps old academy area as well I believe.

IMO could be a very good move the lure of London will help attract players IMO, certainly more than Reading does.

Speaking of Brentford maybe Ryan will be coaching them?

Would make a good fit.

I think it's a good thing - the South and West of London is too fertile an area to be served by just Quins. I'd imagine if there was any re-drawing of the academy boundaries Quins and LI would be sharing Wasps' old territory.

The Brentford Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of Doom.

They've got permission. (http://www.london-irish.com/news/ho...munity-stadium-london-irish-statement/bp1200/)

This is interesting (from Oct.): http://www.brentfordcommunitystadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Minutes-LRLG-17-Oct-2016.pdf

- Brentford have been looking for a Rugby club to partner with for a long time, they've spoken to multiple clubs. Presumably this included Wasps.
- The reason their previous planning explicitly disallowed ground-sharing with a Rugby club, is because they did not specify which club they intended to share with, so could not estimate game-day travel disruption etc...
- Bob Casey says that clubs are not barred from engaging with schools within other club's academy areas, so they are free to seek partnerships with schools in Richmond, where Quins currently are not, even though it's within their academy area.
- BFC would own the stadium; LI would rent it.
- LI would still receive revenue from the stadium operating company, not sure how this works... LI own minority share in operating company?? But they're only renting?!
- Aiming for 14k average attendance, currently get 6k (discounting Paddy's day) - 12-14k would be successful average. Cites Quins similar figures.

They've got permission. (http://www.london-irish.com/news/ho...munity-stadium-london-irish-statement/bp1200/)

This is interesting (from Oct.): http://www.brentfordcommunitystadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Minutes-LRLG-17-Oct-2016.pdf

- Brentford have been looking for a Rugby club to partner with for a long time, they've spoken to multiple clubs. Presumably this included Wasps.
- The reason their previous planning explicitly disallowed ground-sharing with a Rugby club, is because they did not specify which club they intended to share with, so could not estimate game-day travel disruption etc...
- Bob Casey says that clubs are not barred from engaging with schools within other club's academy areas, so they are free to seek partnerships with schools in Richmond, where Quins currently are not, even though it's within their academy area.
- BFC would own the stadium; LI would rent it.
- LI would still receive revenue from the stadium operating company, not sure how this works... LI own minority share in operating company?? But they're only renting?!
- Aiming for 14k average attendance, currently get 6k (discounting Paddy's day) - 12-14k would be successful average. Cites Quins similar figures.

Probably set it up so that LI ownership group have minority share in stadium and LI rent the stadium.

I believe Wasps technically rent the Ricoh from ACL, despite Wasps owning ACL.

They are also taking Wasps old academy area as well I believe.

IMO could be a very good move the lure of London will help attract players IMO, certainly more than Reading does.

Great result for them if it comes off.
I'd go and see them as they will be just down the road from me.
Quins is a bit of a hike from Chiswick.
Might be less toffs at LI

I believe Wasps technically rent the Ricoh from ACL, despite Wasps owning ACL.

Honestly the Wasps deal at the Ricoh seems quite complicated. There seem to be many different stories and peices of information about the ownership, who owns what, who rents etc. As a plastic I'd like to see changes at the Ricoh to make it more Wasps/rugby ground.

Great for Irish though always had a soft spot for them.

Last edited:
I thought The Ricoh was owned by Wasps' holding company, funded by debentures. Might be wrong.

Think a move will be good for London Irish - definitely better catchment for fans plus the Madjeski is a soul-less place at the best and, unless it's St. Patrick's Day, the rugby fans just rattle around in there.

Latest posts