London Wasps - New stadium and training facilities

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
So... word on the Wasps board is that the new owners have secured permission to build a new ground and training facilities.

Ichiro said:
Was at Twyford Avenue this morning and was told to expect an announcement in the next couple of months.

Sounds like a 15,000 stadium with the capacity to expand to 20k. Was also told how surprisingly quick it can be to erect a stadium.

The training facilities will be on site and will be as good as anything in the Premiership. I mentioned that Bath's base was fantastic and was smiled at so the plan is obviously for something fantastic.

'Something special' happening at Wasps!

Very promising.

It's great to see the long awaited investment into Wasps coming to fruition.
It will be very interesting to see where it's going to be located - a proper location in the city would be fantastic.

I put this in "General" because it's not specific to the Premiership and it could potentially be quite a big deal for the growth of rugby in this country - depending on the new site's location in London.

If its a good location, I'll probably become a Pests fan on the side. Potentially great news for rugby.

However, the use of the Sarries tag suggests someone needs to die in a fire.

If its a good location, I'll probably become a Pests fan on the side. Potentially great news for rugby.

I sort of always have been - I've lived in NW6 all my life so Loftus was a 15 minute walk from my front door when I was a lad.

Location is going to be key though - being accessible by TFL is of utmost importance.
Somewhere inside the A406 would be jizzworthy.

I do have a slightly unsettling feeling that it's going to be in "London" though, if you get my meaning.

Given their near dominance of English rugby from 2002-2008 and twwo Heineken Cups in the same span, it's a shame that Wasps never capitalized and became a European force longer term on the level of a Leicester, Toulouse, Munster or Leinster. Hopefully the new stadium plans come to fruition and Wasps can get the funding and support base to climb back to the top of the club game.

I sort of always have been - I've lived in NW6 all my life so Loftus was a 15 minute walk from my front door when I was a lad.

Location is going to be key though - being accessible by TFL is of utmost importance.
Somewhere inside the A406 would be jizzworthy.

I do have a slightly unsettling feeling that it's going to be in "London" though, if you get my meaning.

I was beginning to wonder why you were spending time on the wasps boards.. I guess that makes sense.
I don't post there very often, they're a tribal lot who seem to find it hard to criticise anybody within the squad.

This is excellent 'news'; fortunately it's incompatible with the other rumour which was of us buying up Adams park. Fortunate because I don't want that to happen, ever, and I believe this rumour more.

Given their near dominance of English rugby from 2002-2008 and twwo Heineken Cups in the same span, it's a shame that Wasps never capitalized and became a European force longer term on the level of a Leicester, Toulouse, Munster or Leinster. Hopefully the new stadium plans come to fruition and Wasps can get the funding and support base to climb back to the top of the club game.

House built on sand Im afraid but a new ground etc could be a turning point.

I wonder if they have said anything about getting a plastic pitch ? I have found the one at Allianz has been pretty effective and would suit Wasps style of play always having a firm surface :)

pleased about this, was in their youth set up briefly and a long long time ago and have had good freinds playing for the club in both the amateur and professional eara, so have always felt a connection with the club and the last few seasons have really bothered me - especially when you recall how strong a side Waps were in the 90's and then early to mid 00's.

Would love to see them challenging again, and this kind of investment in the game is only good for the sport on a whole.

What I love about the way the aviva is going is that we dont' have a clear top 3, but the top group is seemingly widening all the time.

between Sarries, Tigers, Saints, Quins and Bath we have a clear top 5; I think Gloucester will make that a top 6 next season with some of the players they've brought in, albeit a redirection in coaching might be required.

Then you've got us (Wasps) who seem be be rebuilding and next season could be putting out the following:

1. Mullan
2. Festuccia
3. Cittadini
4. B. Davies
5. Launchbury
6. Smashley Johnson
7. Haskell
8. Hughes

9. Simpson
10. Goode/Jackson
11. Wade
12. Leiua (Not his best position but hey)
13. Daly
14. Varndell
15. Masi / Miller

That's potentially a top top team. Its the depth issue which will be the real test for us though.

Even forgetting those teams you've got Sale who look like they can beat anyone on their day (shame they are losing some talent) Exeter who can be one of the best teams to watch, and Bristol who have done some ridiculously good recruitment.

Irish seem to be bringing in some bigish names too.

**** Newcastle

Latest posts