• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Welsh... Going... Going... Gone?

They've been managed terribly, don't think the pro arms of the exiles clubs can really justify spending from the RFU, particularly when they're courting the favour of other unions.

They should have declined promotion to the premiership.

Last edited:
So... this happened to their gym the other day:

CzELOpgWQAAv-Ji.jpg

Gym?? You must mean tent. :p It's a crazy situation, sadly the people responsible will never be held accountable. Their spending was completely out of control when they went up to the premiership.

They've been managed terribly, don't think the pro arms of the exiles clubs can really justify spending from the RFU, particularly when they're courting the favour of other unions.

They should have declined promotion to the premiership.

I remember when they were fighting to get promoted after being refused. I said at the time it was a bad idea and could end badly for Welsh but was shouted down quite loudly on here by a staff member on here. Well it's a horrible thing to say but I told you so.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/london-welsh-set-to-go-out-of-business/

Unbelievable if true. Surely the RFU could find some money to help them?

They could, but should they? Already this season in The Championship, Jersey have already been forced to sell their ground in order to cover their debts this season. What a kick in the teeth it would be to them if the RFU turn around and bail LW out. Would it be responsible to reward such terrible mismanagement with a bail out?

A much better question would be why were the RFU giving large sums of money to a club being so poorly managed in the first place and why didn't they protect other Championship sides and the game at large from LW's lack of responsibility?

And they're gone! The Championship runs one team short for the remainder of the season.

Perfect example of how to mismanage a Team or any company in fact. Jesus talk about your means not matching your ambition .

just read a consortium including Dan Carter and Ali Williams might be trying to buy them out

Doubt they'd get permission.

The club should be left amateur, and given the trouble they've caused the RFU, I suspect they think so too.

just read a consortium including Dan Carter and Ali Williams might be trying to buy them out

What's to buy out? The professional club no longer exists within the league structure. I believe that the was some substance in the rumour, apparently Williams was spotted at a game at ODP. If the intent was serious, they failed to get their act together in time. If they couldn't comply with the relevant regulations, maybe they would have been the people to lead the club into the next drama.

I completely agree with Groundhog's comments. The very well connected people with impressive CVs who were responsible for the running of the club over the last 5 years or so should be utterly ashamed of themselves. Perhaps a cautionary tale for anyone who thinks that giving their club away in pursuit of glory is a good idea.

ratsapprentice, the amateur club is a separate entity with separate CB membership. As far as I can see, London Welsh RFC no longer exist. It will be interesting to see what approach is taken from now on. Will a team (presumably adopting the London Welsh RFC moniker) be formed to try and gain entry to the leagues and start climbing back up, or will some sort of fudge go on to try and give LWARFU's highest side's league status to a side called LWRFC? I hope the latter won't happen - surely LWARFC should have a constitution that prevents them from paying players.

Latest posts