Lots of new coaches for international teams next year

TheOvalBall

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
France
I guess we will see lots of patchy rugby especially early on, but that is the norm it seems.

No doubt, things won't work out for some, but there's no reason teams should misfire from the get go - it took Eddie Jones eighteen attempts to lose a match with his new England side.

In football, there seems to be a bit of a shot in the arm that comes from appointing a new manager, although it's possibly a reflection of how unhappy the camp was before the previous incumbent was removed. I've never really thought about the effect in rugby. Given some of the comments from the Ireland camp, maybe it will be a shot in the arm for them. Not sure about any other sides.

I'm scared how good France could become with Edwards as D-Coach.
I expect Wales to come 5th in the 6 nations this year, where Pivac (and the public who forgot how bad we were before Gats) will realise the coach hasn't been dictating the play style, it's the lack of depth in the player pool.

I expect Wales to come 5th in the 6 nations this year, where Pivac (and the public who forgot how bad we were before Gats) will realise the coach hasn't been dictating the play style, it's the lack of depth in the player pool.
Yeah, I'm similarly concerned... particularly with all the injuries too. Still, if you're gonna have a bad year where injuries dictate you need to introduce some new/young players into the camp, into probably best to happen during the first year of a new cycle.

No doubt, things won't work out for some, but there's no reason teams should misfire from the get go - it took Eddie Jones eighteen attempts to lose a match with his new England side.

In football, there seems to be a bit of a shot in the arm that comes from appointing a new manager, although it's possibly a reflection of how unhappy the camp was before the previous incumbent was removed. I've never really thought about the effect in rugby. Given some of the comments from the Ireland camp, maybe it will be a shot in the arm for them. Not sure about any other sides.
Hard to know because it's Farrell taking over so might not be a massive change (or could be huge, we don't know how different he is from Joe).

Edwards is in for a bigger shock. He'll be coaching second division for the next 4 years. If he even lasts that long.

Still waiting to see the springbok setup. Raddison has said that his director of rugby role could be wry hands on depending on who the head coach is.

You actually often see the opposite effect in rugby, like with Eddie as you mentioned. Rugby is so much about attitude, and I think this is why an invigoration brought with a new coach can really make a difference. It happens in super rugby all the time, e.g Rennie, Boyd, Robertson, cheika, Ackerman.

On that point I'm fascinated to see how gatland does with the chiefs. He has already talked about honouring the chiefs attacking brand of rugby.

Edwards is in for a bigger shock. He'll be coaching second division for the next 4 years. If he even lasts that long.

I must admit, I'm really not sure Edwards will work for France.

It's not that he isn't a good coach, nor that France don't have the ability - I'm just not convinced they will take to his methods and style.

Steve Tandy appointed Scotland's defence coach replacing Matt Taylor. Is he well regarded in Wales? Won the Pro12 with Ospreys and has been at Waratahs for the past two years helping erect the 'blue wall'.

I must admit, I'm really not sure Edwards will work for France.

It's not that he isn't a good coach, nor that France don't have the ability - I'm just not convinced they will take to his methods and style.

Yeah. I feel the same.

IF it works, it could be just what France need, but I think it's a real 50/50 and I'm probably more inclined to think it won't work based upon the French players' reactions to a more disciplinarian approach in the past.

Yeah. I feel the same.

IF it works, it could be just what France need, but I think it's a real 50/50 and I'm probably more inclined to think it won't work based upon the French players' reactions to a more disciplinarian approach in the past.
Shawn the Icy Stare's first training https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...ll-the-souffle-rise-the-breakdown-rugby-union
Shawn Édouards (the hypnosist): Sébastien did you use that elbow again?!
Séb lookintomyeyes lookintomyeyes you're back in the dressing room

Steve Tandy appointed Scotland's defence coach replacing Matt Taylor. Is he well regarded in Wales? Won the Pro12 with Ospreys and has been at Waratahs for the past two years helping erect the 'blue wall'.
Time has changed the perspective a little. When he was ousted at the Ospreys I think a lot of people (including myself) thought that he didn't have a great deal to offer but with the way that the Ospreys have declined since his leaving... together with Steve just quietly going about his business in Australia I think it may well just have been him managing a no win situation at the O's.

Yeah. I feel the same.

They (the players) will probably 'try' and make it work just so Edwards will still be around for the next World Cup, so they have a ready-made mutiny excuse at the big show.

They (the players) will probably 'try' and make it work just so Edwards will still be around for the next World Cup, so they have a ready-made mutiny excuse at the big show.
Is this how it works? I was wondering. Now we know.

Latest posts