Luger Dies

Discussion in 'All Other Sports' started by munster, Feb 13, 2010.

1. munster

munster Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
    R.I.P. from Ireland...

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. candybum

candybum Guest

Freak accident, my thoughts are with his family, friends, countrymen, and fellow athletes.

R.I.P

4. Olyy

Olyy Guest

R.I.P

I think it's odd that the metal girders had no padding/protection on them. At 90mph it would've probably made no difference, but still...

5. bristol-iain

bristol-iain Guest

R.I.P

Terrible news for the sporting world

(when I saw the thread title I though it was referring to Dan :huh: )

6. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

Well this young boy died in a terrible way

Speed is huge there and even if Iron constructions were cushioned with special coverings he had no chance

Some say this was his fault due to low skill (but he was quite experienced guy not to give himself to death just for trainings standings)

Ans some argue it was the lack of safety measures on path that took his life

anyway terrible news

7. Olyy

Olyy Guest

Saw a bit about this on CBS news (my dad was watching BBC News 24 last night and they show CBS on there at some points) and the American reporters were making it sound like the Canadians planned for this to happen, it was ridiculous =/

8. Prestwick

Prestwick Guest

Apparently the Canadian authorities restricted access to the site before the Olympics to allow their Bobsleigh and Lugers extra time to practice.

This meant that when Kumaritashvili and other foreign althetes began their day there they had not had much experience on the Whistler course.

The American lugers are calling the final turn "50/50" because thats apparently the chances of you coming through alive. The course is lightning fast and very difficult.

This is basically the sport's "Ayrton Senna" moment and like F1 circuits we could see a move away from ever faster and tighter courses in future.

9. poopiepeople

poopiepeople Guest

That is the biggest pile of crap I have ever heard.

It was just a freak accident and Nodar lost control. It's terrible. but no one should be pointing any fingers.

No one got seriously injured on it, but during practice runs, tons of people wiped out.

10. alexrugby

alexrugby Guest

some of the idiot minds has created a group on facebook, as if this group was dedicated to Nodar Kumaritashvili's name

later this freak uploaded some photos which no more than bring this young athletes name down

So many freaks run world wide web :) :) :)

God damn, this is the first time I envy hackers <_<

11. An Tarbh

An Tarbh Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Feb 14 2010, 01:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    well it played into the Germans hands alright as the faster starters were always going to come out on top like they did yesterday.

As for restricting access, they had plenty of access as there were world cup races at the venue, they knew what was facing them heading into the games.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!