• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luke Fitzgerald on Nigel Owens

I hate the term snowflake as an insult so much it boils my blood.

TBH I 100% agree with Fitzgerald.

Owen seems to be more interested in coming up with a witty remark that will get YouTube views than Reffing, and I think he has been coasting on his reputation for too long now. He WAS the best ref in the world but the last 2 seasons his standard has declined.

Get the feeling nig is preparing himself for a pundit job.

i just don't see how he can expect respect of he is going to be handing out banter during the game.

Last edited:
I have no problem with it. I'm not a fan of Owens, think he's a mediocre ref that gets called great because of his one liners, but I have no problem with the one liners. To say there's no place in the game for them is taking the game far too seriously. Why can't the players/refs have a laugh? As long as the ref is doing his job, joke away.

Owen seems to be more interested in coming up with a witty remark that will get YouTube views than Reffing, and I think he has been coasting on his reputation for too long now. He WAS the best ref in the world but the last 2 seasons his standard has declined.

Yeah your not meant to like insults

It's a perfectly apt insult for over sensitive, over opinionated tarts who let their blood boil for no real reason

It's a perfectly apt insult for over sensitive, over opinionated tarts who let their blood boil for no real reason

So everyone? Most of the time I have seen it used are by those that fit the over sensitive, Over opinionated, patronising tart molds.

Explain how a snowflake fits that though? Becuase it's precious is that literally it?

Last edited:

i just don't see how he can expect respect of he is going to be handing out banter during the game.

Yeah, it's just a stupid insult. Often the people who use it come off as more precious than the person they're insulting. I also associate with people who say 'young people these days' and 'back in my day'.

I think Hogg in the RWC was a good example of taking it too far, he stopped the game about 45 seconds after the incident to deliver some witty comment, if he wasn't in St. James' park there's no way he'd have spoken to him.

He's turned into a very average ref recently.

So everyone? Most of the time I have seen it used are by those that fit the over sensitive, Over opinionated, patronising tart molds.

Explain how a snowflake fits that though? Becuase it's precious is that literally it?

I like princess, I imagine it could get me into trouble with some very precious people though!

I think Hogg in the RWC was a good example of taking it too far, he stopped the game about 45 seconds after the incident to deliver some witty comment, if he wasn't in St. James' park there's no way he'd have spoken to him.

Yeh in that game you got the feeling like he had that prepared and was just waiting for the right time to use it. got to get them YouTube views some how I guess.

Yeah, it's just a stupid insult. Often the people who use it come off as more precious than the person they're insulting. I also associate with people who say 'young people these days' and 'back in my day'.

Don't I'm in my 20's and say back in my day and young people these days.... Feelsoldman.

- - - Updated - - -

No not everyone just the people I described

Please it's describes most people. Esp when you get into politics.

As has pretty much every single referee in the game. He's not been great for a while ... what's new.

Remember it is not himself who has self elevated himself in the public eye ... rather the media.

Oh and the nonsense comments about YouTube views etc ... LOL like he gets the revenue from it. The people who clip it and upload it do haha ... c'mon people, better arguments needed.

Last edited:
100% with Fitzgerald
Can't stand Owens, his quality of refereeing has dropped off massively, and (as mentioned above) seems more interested in soundbites and getting featured on rugbydump

As has pretty much every single referee in the game.

Remember it is not himself who has self elevated himself in the public eye ... rather the media.

Oh and the nonsense comments about YouTube views etc ... LOL like he gets the revenue from it. The people who clip it and upload it do haha ... c'mon man.

The French refs, Poite excluded, are a cut above for me right now, Gardner is very good from what I've seen too but I'm not familiar with what the SH has to offer. Owens isn't incompetent like the Irish and Italian refs and his games are usually entertaining but its because he misses, or decides not to officiate, a lot of infringements.

Youtube views get him publicity, publicity has got him onto the after dinner speaking circuit among other things, he knows if he says something remotely funny it'll go viral, to suggest he hasn't profited and can profit more from these videos is ridiculous. I can't fault him as he is doing great things for himself and will be fought over by Sky and BT the day he retires from refereeing but its annoying for fans who just want to watch rugby.

The French refs, Poite excluded, are a cut above for me right now, Gardner is very good from what I've seen too but I'm not familiar with what the SH has to offer. Owens isn't incompetent like the Irish and Italian refs and his games are usually entertaining but its because he misses, or decides not to officiate, a lot of infringements.

Youtube views get him publicity, publicity has got him onto the after dinner speaking circuit among other things, he knows if he says something remotely funny it'll go viral, to suggest he hasn't profited and can profit more from these videos is ridiculous. I can't fault him as he is doing great things for himself and will be fought over by Sky and BT the day he retires from refereeing but its annoying for fans who just want to watch rugby.

Jérôme Garcès is head and shoulders above all refs at the moment in my eyes.

Just for the those who are not informed or chose not to look into things ... Nigel has always been an after dinner speaker, he's also been a comedian (on the Welsh language circuit, not a great one) to name a few things he has done. The only thing he has got from the 'videos' is his name being blown up ... has he directly uploaded these videos? No ... I can tell you that as I can tell you that having spoken with him recently he isn't in the game for the 'video clips'. Hence anyone who feels to need to debate this point with me, I will challenge. If people knew something about his career, then he has always officiated like this, can remember him coming to my local club and reffing a game like he does.

Like I said, I'm not saying he is the best referee, far from it, I have said his standards have slipped, but to say he goes out to referee to go on YouTube is simply ridiculous.

Last edited:
Perfect world. Owens shuts up in exchange for players stopping *****ing at refs.

Still remember Clive Norling telling Andy Robinson to behave himself or he wouldn't remain on the pitch much longer "British Lion or no British Lion". A proper authentic put down.

Perfect world. Owens shuts up in exchange for players stopping *****ing at refs.

Still remember Clive Norling telling Andy Robinson to behave himself or he wouldn't remain on the pitch much longer "British Lion or no British Lion". A proper authentic put down.

Concur with this!

Latest posts