Luke Fitzgerald Retires

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
Luke Fitzgerald has retired aged 28. Massive blow for Leinster and Ireland. A great talent who in my eyes despite achieving everything he did never reached his peak as injury kept getting him. Met him a few times off field. He's a lovely down to earth guy and wish him the best. He was a talent

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... That's the ****ing worst news ever. Had it all but never caught a break, he'll be missed.
100% agree but I've admiration for this guy. Working in physiotherapy background I know the mental challenges of injury and how this guy kept coming back was scary. He did well to get this far with his body rattled and that show measures of the man. I'm glad too he's getting out to pursue his life without long term damage.

100% agree but I've admiration for this guy. Working in physiotherapy background I know the mental challenges of injury and how this guy kept coming back was scary. He did well to get this far with his body rattled and that show measures of the man. I'm glad too he's getting out to pursue his life without long term damage.
Yeah, it's clearly the right decision for him and that's all that matters but having the potential to be the best in a couple of backline positions in the world and never getting the chance because you've been constantly broken is hard. Smart decision but it must have killed him to make it.

Before his his first major injury he'd won a grand slam, Heineken Cup and was a test Lion, he was 21. I don't think a retirement has ever been this hard to take.

Brutal,
Was always a fan, to have to retire so early is a kick in the nads. Wish him well for whatever he goes on to do.

Wow. I had him pegged for the Lions tour. Was an incredible athlete, devastating that he was always getting injured and that that's ended his career. Could've been World Class.

Wow. I had him pegged for the Lions tour. Was an incredible athlete, devastating that he was always getting injured and that that's ended his career. Could've been World Class.

In fairness I'd have said he was World Class when on form. Even this year when he got few games together he just oozed class. His timing and rugby brain was excellent.

I need to stop liking Irish players
Ferris
Fitzgerald
I hope nothing happens to Bowe.
Funny you say that there was a report saying Bowe is struggling with his injury. So hope you stop liking (although as long as no Munster player making your list it good).

A shame for him and the game. Wish him well in whatever he does next, as long as it isn't asinine punditry.

Pretty terrible weekend for Irish rugby. Lost the series to SA, lost the under 20 world cup, women's 7s didn't qualify for Rio and one of our best players had to retire due to injury.

Latest posts