How do you rate Luke mcalister?

• Total voters

Tadginator

Academy Player
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Leeds Rhinos
Who agrees that Luke mcalister is brilliant. He is very underrated and receives little recognition from the all blacks. He is incredibly skillful and is a complete beast. He is an excellent utility back and is world class in all his positions. I think hes the best and I hope I'm nOt the only one.

Good player, however we will never know how good he could have been if he had stuck around after RWC2007. The number 12 jersey was going to be his anyway, he had the right skill set and physique for that position. Since his return to NZ in 2009, he has been pretty ordinary. He has had fair bit of injuries. Only this year he has been in some good form. But nothing to suggest he is threatening Nonu or SBW for the 12 jersey.

The All Black enviroment helps players grow and become better. Just look at Nonu's progress. It is dissapointing really that he left the All Black jersey for the big bucks at the tender age of 24. He could have become a star.

He is only an average player sorry Tagdinator.

I personally believe that his biggest problem is he lacks heart. You can see it in the way he tackles, you also get the feeling that he dosn't play rugby for the fun of it either- its all just business to him.

Sorry mate- but he isn't anywhere near the player you seem to see him as.

Who agrees that Luke mcalister is brilliant. He is very underrated and receives little recognition from the all blacks. He is incredibly skillful and is a complete beast. He is an excellent utility back and is world class in all his positions. I think hes the best and I hope I'm nOt the only one.

I don't agree with the little recognition from the All Blacks part, they basically arranged the two domestic games he needed to play when he returned to New Zealand, so he could be rushed into the All Blacks.

He's had quite a lot of opportunities with the AB's for someone who has been away from New Zealand and then returned ... the reason he's not a regular in the team is due to poor form and injuries - he's a chance for the AB RWC squad, but whether he's done enough this season is debatable

McAlister is a good player, but he's not that great:
He's the 3rd best 12 in the country.
He'd probably only rated as the 4th best first-five in the country (alongside Donald, but behind Carter, Cruden, and Slade).
He wouldn't be in the top 5 fullbacks in he country (the position he is basically playing for the Blues at the moment).

I rated him quite highly before he left NZ, but he hasn't looked like the same player since he has returned. NZ has gone away from a more traditional second-five (e.g. a second first-five) in favour of a more powerful ball runner in the 12 jersey, which certainly hasn't helped McAlisters chances. His biggest problem is that he doesn't seem to have the required ability to control a game to be a world-class 10, while his defence isn't really strong enough to be a world a class 12...

He is a good player, but even his kicking game isn't always that good. He should have stayed in NZ.

I think he is a very good 2nd 5/8th. Kicks 60m goals, tackles well and is a very good tackler. He's huge for his skill level. The problem with him is, he's either tried at 1st 5/8th in which he doesn't seem to really possess the vision for, or he is injured too long and too often to get much rhythm into his game. He would be in my All Blacks squad to cover 1st 5/8th and 2nd 5/8th on the bench with a real outside back in the 22 jersey like Toeava.

As for him being the best, he's not in as good a form as SBW or Nonu, but I think a part of that is that he plays with the Blues, which make a lot of mistakes. I think if McAlister loved down to Canterbury several years ago, he would have been a much more confident player.

I thought you might actually be serious until I read that line.

Lucky blew any chance he had of becoming a great player when he took the money and went to play easy rugby up north. If he had stayed and developed his skills in NZ he would certainly have reached his potential under the guidance of the cartel.
Now he is a good player at SupeRugby level but that is about it, a shame for him and NZ rugby.

I wondered how long it'd take for this thread to start slagging of NH rugby....

Just thought I'd throw in the fact that it was Lukes fault New Zealand didnt win the last world cup.

Stupid obstruction and a booking, followed by his fear of dropping what was a fairly simple drop goal to win the game.

I wondered how long it'd take for this thread to start slagging of NH rugby....

Well, the fact is if he remained in NZ, he would have been playing rugby at the highest level. He is a good rugby player below Test level, however for him to get better Mcalister needed time at the highest level. Look at Nonu, at super rugby level he erratic every season. Come playing for the All Blacks, Nonu is more consistent with his rugby. Nonu has been an All Black since 2003, however he never got consistent game timeup until 2008 when he slotted into the 12 jersey. The environment helps players grow at the highest level. McAlister gave that up to chase for money and thats why I always think he made a BIG mistake to leave when he was just about to hit his prime.

srsly.jpg

brochure%20photo.jpg

Good player, however we will never know how good he could have been if he had stuck around after RWC2007. The number 12 jersey was going to be his anyway, he had the right skill set and physique for that position. Since his return to NZ in 2009, he has been pretty ordinary. He has had fair bit of injuries. Only this year he has been in some good form. But nothing to suggest he is threatening Nonu or SBW for the 12 jersey.

Agreed.

I voted very good on the poll. IMO Luke is a very good player, even when he had a form slump earlier this year in the ITM, it was noticable because it was very out of the ordinary for a player who used to be noticed for his consistant robust running game. Add that to a fairly reliable goal kicking game and well rounded defence and you come up with a very good player.

Latest posts