• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Luke Watson vs. John Smit

B

Boggle

Has anyone read about this yet ?

I haven't had the pleasure of reading John Smits autobiography, but apparently in it he talks about how Luke Watson was a "cancer"
in the team and how they blame him for the failed 2007 tri nations campaign.

Now I'm sorry, but that's just absolute rubbish, one single player could not have had the ability to screw up an entire team dynamic
all on his own. What really gets me though is that John Smit has no problem talking about it now in his book, but didn't have the guts to
do the decent thing and talk to Watson face to face when he was in the team.

He was his captain, he was supposed to help the guy out, even Watson didn't think he should have been in the team in 2007, but was
pretty much forced into it by his family and politics.

I've got to say, I'm really disappointed in John Smit, he's gone down a few notches in my book if that's the way he talks about his fellow
Springboks -behind their back-

I'm not saying Watson is a saint, he's had quite the fair share of controversy, but one has to wonder whether if he was just left alone to,
you know, play rugby instead of being in the middle of Cheeky Watsons rage against SARU, if he would perhaps have been in a much
better place right now.

I mean, the guy is an -excellent- rugby player, these are the stats for the 2009 Super 14 season

Luke Watson:
Metres gained: 737
Tackles made: 222
Missed tackles: 13
Efficiency: 94%
Passes: 107
Offloads: 19
Runs: 101
Turn Overs Won: 17
Yellow/ Red Cards: 0/0

Jean Deysel

Metres gained: 313
Tackles made: 45
Missed tackles: 10
Efficiency: 82%
Passes: 17
Offloads: 4
Runs: 50
Turn overs conceded: 5
Yellow/ Red cards: 0/0

Heinrich Brussow

Metres gained: 595
Tackles made: 222
Missed tackles: 20
Efficiency: 92%
Passes: 71
Offloads: 6
Runs: 82
Turn overs won: 10
Yellow/ Red cards: 2/0

Juan Smith

Metres gained: 526
Tackles made: 154
Missed tackles: 22
Efficiency: 88%
Passes: 49
Offloads: 7
Runs: 79
Turn overs won: 7

Ryan Kankowski

Metres gained: 848
Tackles made: 115
Missed tackles: 32
Efficiency: 78%
Passes: 95
Offloads: 13
Runs: 107
Turn overs won: 9

Pierre Spies

Metres gained: 720
Tackles made: 110
Missed tackles: 49
Efficiency: 69%
Passes: 66
Offloads: 9
Runs: 142
Turn Overs Won: 11
Yellow/ Red Cards: 0/0

yes I did get those stats from the Beeld website where I read the article which this concerns.

The site is in Afrikaans so it's not going to be very helpful to the non South Africans.

Source

Awesome stats from Kanko there! Anyway, i am busy reading Smit's book, but have not gotten to the Watson part yet. Though after reading Jake White's book, i don't really have any sympathy for Watson whatsoever. There has to be SOME reason why everyone hates him. I will give some feedback once done.

Here is the English article:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Content/Rugby/264...rs_Smits_claims

Look ladies. If the book DIDNT contain anything controversial it probably wouldnt sell.

Remember beergate on the Lions tour in which every Irish player (and internet poster) absolutely refused to ever ever ever drink with a South African, and stopped the other members of the Lions team from doing the same?

This book is all about Smit. Where does it declare itself to be the truth?

What are you talking about ?
Kankowskis stats are pretty average, apart from running meters gained, but even there Watson is not far behind.

What surprised me is how much Watson actually dominated everyone else in terms of turnovers won and tackles made, even
the amount of running meters gained amazed me.

I always knew he's one of the hardest workers on a rugby pitch I've ever seen, but my gosh, the man is a monster.

I remember reading that he was an even more effective ball stealer than McCaw in the 2006 Super 14.

On the subject at hand though, I couldn't care less what White said as that's not the issue here, I think what John did was
cowardly and not called for at all.

I think I'll wait till Watson releases his bio, then I'll read all 3 books and see what's what, it's fine and dandy always hearing
one side of the argument, let's see what he has to say one day.

Again, I'm not saying Watson is a saint, but I wish they could have just left the guy alone to be a rugby player instead of
a political pawn (especially his dad), the man was born and raised to be a rugby player, that's what he should have been.

I have never questioned his playing ability, as i always thought Watson was fantastic.

But, the fact that John Smit as well as White had some pretty harsh things to say about him is suspect... It's one thing to bad mouth someone, but for a World Cup winning coach, and most capped captain of all time to lend a hefty part of their life stories to one man tells me that he did something...

Then, the entire country had to endure the puke-saga, and all Luke did was have daddy fight his battles for him.

Did you know that Jake White was threatened with losing his job if he didn't include Watson in the squad? Then he still said **** you guys and left him out. But surprise surprise, his name was read out... Apparently that affected the team quite a bit, as well as the coaching staff.

I don't know if the problem is Luke, or his daddy/lawyers etc etc...

I met old Luke when i was in Paarl a couple of years ago at a Wine convention, and thought he was pretty decent. Maybe these guys are just trying to sell their books? I dunno, don't really care to be honest.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 31 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Remember beergate on the Lions tour in which every Irish player (and internet poster) absolutely refused to ever ever ever drink with a South African, and stopped the other members of the Lions team from doing the same?[/b]

No. Nobody remembers that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 31 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 31 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Remember beergate on the Lions tour in which every Irish player (and internet poster) absolutely refused to ever ever ever drink with a South African, and stopped the other members of the Lions team from doing the same?[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Remembers what? I've forgotten already...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 31 2009, 12:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 31 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 31 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Remembers what? I've forgotten already...

[/b][/quote]

It never happened. Even when it was happening it never happened. It was of no consequence. It never happened.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 31 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
When i watched the third lions test, the table joined onto mine was full of saffers....am i in trouble? :eek:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 31 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes. You're not allowed play for the Lions ever ever.[/b]

Fine. I'll start my own Lions. With Blackjack. And Hookers.

In fact, forget the Blackjack and Lions...

Latest posts