• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lyon - Man Of Steel 2005

S

St Helens RLFC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_leag...gue/4328572.stm

_40895068_jamielyon203.jpg

St Helens centre Jamie Lyon has become only the fourth overseas player to win the Super League Man of Steel award.
The 23-year-old Australian had a superb debut year, scoring 194 points to help Saints win the League Leaders' Trophy.

Lyon emulated foreigners Gavin Miller, Dean Bell and Adrian Vowles in being named the top player in Super League.

At the Manchester ceremony, Leeds' Tony Smith was crowned Coach of the Year, while Hull's Richard Whiting picked up the Young Player of the Year award.

Lyon, who scored 24 tries and 49 goals, fended off Leeds captain Kevin Sinfield and new Great Britain skipper Jamie Peacock to take the top award.

Lyon was also presented with a cheque for £5,000, while receiving another £1,000 after being named the Rugby League Players Association Players' Player of the Year.

Ashley Klein was Referee of the Year while special awards were given to Widnes prop Terry O'Connor for making the most metres and Salford hooker Malcolm Alker for making the most tackles.

Legend, and he's only been here for 9 months. Best player I've seen play for Saints.

Next year's looking good.

He could be the ugliest man in the world for all it matters, he is amazing!

In which game? He opened you up time and time again on Good Friday, he ripped you to pieces in the 75-0 hammering, he set up 3 tries when we beat you 42-18 and his kicking play was clever a few weeks ago even though the game was played predominantly in the forwards.

It's not about 1 game anyway, he's been excellent all season, I'm sure you can admit that.

**** hes ugly...he looks like a demented eric bana

he also looks like christopher reeves when he was in his wheelchair

ugly mofo

Yes chiro, he wasn't called the man of steel on looks... or else he would be steel.

Looks almost as bad as the physcho in your avatar
<

Well deserved too - head and shoulders above any other in super league this year........

excuse umosay but atleast the physcho in my avatar can shave his eyebrows...

congrats to him

ive watched 2 games of him in the sl and he has been pretty mean..he also has developed a playmaking skill..hes got a pretty decent kicking game now..i remember him carving in the nrl

u reckon hes better then the nrl/aussie test centres atm sanzar?

Originally posted by THE CHIROPRACTOR101@Oct 12 2005, 10:12 AM
excuse umosay but atleast the physcho in my avatar can shave his eyebrows...

congrats to him

ive watched 2 games of him in the sl and he has been pretty mean..he also has developed a playmaking skill..hes got a pretty decent kicking game now..i remember him carving in the nrl

u reckon hes better then the nrl/aussie test centres atm sanzar?
From what I've seen he's really developed lately, just as you say. He could almost play half one would think. Yeah, I reckon he's probably better than Gas and the other NRL centres at the moment, but I don't think he'd be as dominant if he came back to the NRL. Either way though, he DEFINATELY deserves to be in the roos squad ahead of boofhead brissy ***** TATE!

hahahaha..nah yeh just thinkin now,back then he blossomed in his rookie year and following years before he left..he looks way better now!

he wud make a great 6..if he went back to parra and teamd with tahu..DAAYYYYYUUMMM

but hes gettin so much love in gb..dont be suprised if stays there another 3years and cough cough..becomes a brit

If Lyon stays beyond his current contract, I'll eat my hat. I'll also throw a celebratory BBQ. I think he'll be off this time next year, as planned. Sure I'll be sad but I've been so lucky to see him play. Would love him to stay.

At times this season, he has been playing at 6. He did fine, but he's far more devastating at centre, he's nigh on unstoppable.

Why on Earth don't the Aussies drop this stupid rule they have -

Lyon > current Aussie test centres.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Oct 11 2005, 12:35 PM
In which game? He opened you up time and time again on Good Friday, he ripped you to pieces in the 75-0 hammering, he set up 3 tries when we beat you 42-18 and his kicking play was clever a few weeks ago even though the game was played predominantly in the forwards.

It's not about 1 game anyway, he's been excellent all season, I'm sure you can admit that.
He's been brilliant for sure. He has played worse against Wigan though.

I wouldn't agree with that. His most ineffective displays have been against Leigh, when rested on the bench.

It's a shame for Leigh. They took more fans to Wigan than the have an average home attendance.

It's a big day out for them. They were never ready for Super League in a million years.

They do have lots of experience, but are they any better than last time? No, I think they're a whole lot worse. They will struggle badly.

Latest posts