• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lyons in for Popham at Scarlets

C

Cymro

Llanelli Scarlets have signed Australian number eight David Lyons from NSW Waratahs on a four-year deal.

The 27-year-old has played 43 Tests for Australia and represented the Wallabies at two World Cups.

Lyons' arrival has seen Alix Popham depart for French side Brive after the two sides agreed a six-figure compensation fee.

"This is a great opportunity for me and my family to experience a new culture and lifestyle," said Popham.

The 28-year-old has played 62 games for the Scarlets since making his debut against an Army selection in August 2005.

He has also won 33 Welsh caps and is hoping to add more in the near future.

Lyons is now back to full fitness after breaking his ankle playing for the Wallabies against Canada at last year's World Cup.

His international career started in 2000, the same year he made his State and Super Rugby debuts.

And he went on a seven-year run of not missing a match for the Waratahs in the Super 12/14 competition stretching to 83 games.

"I met with David and his representatives in Sydney last week in what was an extremely productive meeting," said Scarlets chief executive Stuart Gallacher.

"David outlined his reasons on why he wanted to play in Europe, and with a change of lifestyle and new surroundings, we are confident he will flourish with the Scarlets."

Former Wales and Scarlets coach Gareth Jenkins is understood to be on the short-list for a forward coaching role at Munster.

[*] Jenkins is also rumoured to be in the running for a job as Elite Performance Director at the Scarlets.

[/b]

Rocky Elsom is what we heard, and we get this.....who is he again? :huh: :mellow:

He better be, we've had so many "very good" signings recently, I don't know what to believe. :S

He better be, we've had so many "very good" signings recently, I don't know what to believe. :S [/b]

Hes had 40 + caps for Australia and is a good player, suprised and your reaction really, would like to see him at the Blues to be honest!

Well, the point is we don't need a good ball-carrying number 8 half as much as we need a decent front row. I guess my reaction was a bit drastic, but really, our scrum and breakdown is what makes us suck so bad, and I don't see how signing another ball-carrier is going to make us go forward any more than we have been, since we'll be playing behind the same pack anyway!

Greg Somerville was meant to be signing but I guess that is up in arms because of Davies leaving!

What's the deal with Popham? He looked like he had the makings of an excellent player but as done little this season. Perhaps the change of scenery will do him good... hope so cos I like him.

What's the deal with Popham? He looked like he had the makings of an excellent player but as done little this season. Perhaps the change of scenery will do him good... hope so cos I like him. [/b]

He only has one mode and teams have now worked him out. He is dropping further behind in the Welsh pecking order!

Latest posts