TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_50777233_50133414.jpg

A Kent rugby club has been fined £2,000 and deducted 50 points following an incident which left an opposing player blind in one eye.

Clarence Harding was injured in a gouging incident during a game between his side, Gravesend Rugby Club, and Maidstone RFC at Mote Park a year ago.

A Rugby Football Union hearing found Maidstone guilty of conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game.

Maidstone have the right to appeal against the decision.

In November, the Rugby Football Union (RFU) said it could not be determined which player was responsible for causing the injury in the match on 17 January 2010.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-12179402

not harsh enough IMHO totally disgusting and cowardly act if anyone goes near my eyes intentionally they get a leathering

If this is the president set, then be interesting to see what happens to the bloke from Cross Keys RFC that ruined Gavin Quinnell's eye!

Good punishment points wise. Means that not only did he let himself down, he let his team down and they'll remember that.

The fine is a tough one though - These aren't pro players and people convicted in a boozer of GBH often get fined less, so the instinct says "no, fine him more!", but the reality is that's about normal.

£5 says though that international players in the future will still only get a slap on the wrist and a fortnight off though...

I know this guy through my work collegue. He's made a decent living out of his music apparently. Gravesend is my old club.

If was the RFU in charge of this, i'd suspend the entire Maidstone XV that played in that game for 3-5 years. The ban will only be lifted once the guilty player is exposed, and i would expect his teammates would expose him.. rather than they all be painted as eye-gougers.

How much comphensation does this guy get? we all go onto the feild to enjoy ourselves as well as trying to win. Im sure we have all been in the changing room when there is talk about making the opposition hurt but I hope these comments are always meant 'hit the hard in the tackle' any bloke that does that is a coward the lowest of the low. Gouging, biting, twistin/ pulling on the b0ll0cks and buts to the head are the unforgivable acts.

I read somewhere that this guy gave up, I am sure there are players that play with the sight in only one eye and I sincerly hope he will be able to enjoy the game once more, as being forced to never play again is something he does not deserve!

Latest posts