Major fire in Ladboke Grove

The Jones Boy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Massive tower block fire in north Ladbroke Grove
Terrifying scenes from last night as vast amounts of fire fighters struggled to keep the fire under control.
It reminded me of 'Towering Inferno' I saw when I was kid.
Well over a hundred apartments destroyed and several fatalities as well.
Over 500 people unhoused.
It's just north east of us here, a terrible tragedy.

Interesting responses from folks who live close to the terrible tower fire, they are saying that they believe that Boris Johnson is partly to blame because in his time as London Mayor he closed down and sold off a lot of the Fire stations in London.

Most/if not all of the blame falls on the government who hasn't introduced proper regulations on fire safety for places like that despite plenty of warnings and the landlord.

Interesting responses from folks who live close to the terrible tower fire, they are saying that they believe that Boris Johnson is partly to blame because in his time as London Mayor he closed down and sold off a lot of the Fire stations in London.
Considering it was abalze within minuites and Fire crews got there in under 10 I don't think that was really a problem.

Proper regulations that have been in a cabinet somewhere for 4 years rather than enforced...now that's a problem

Thats a massive blaze, with hundres of people at risk, a couple of crews getting there under 10 minutes isn't good enough.
Had local fire stations not been shut down and sold off, had appliances (fire engines) not been cut back there would have been more staff and equipment to deal with this towering inferno, they could have been there under 5 minutes and got hold of a fire that started on the 4th floor, well below the reach of their hoses.
Supporting crews could then have arrived in under 10 minutes.
The cladding is clearly a material that is quick to burn so arrival times are 'absolutely critical'.
Just as losing 20,000 police hasn't helped the Police force to keep us safe, losing firemen and women and losing fire stations in a capital that contains many ageing tower blocks, is a very poor show that deserves to be highlighted.
Fire crews are doing great work in spite of the cuts, but it doesn't help those who are dead, injured, or the families of victims.
The London fire service are critically understaffed for this kind of fire event.

This is a situation where they may not have had the opportunity to stop the blaze, but they could have held it back long enough to get people out before the staircases were engulfed in smoke and maybe get a fireman to the roof to engage the water tanks etc

Considering it was abalze within minuites and Fire crews got there in under 10 I don't think that was really a problem.

Is that something that you think you could say to the victims in critical care, or the children who's parents had to fling them from the upper windows because they were facing certain death if they stayed in the apartments. Children who now have no parents.
Is that something you could say to family and friends at the many funerals that are going to be coming in the next few weeks?

Or is that a glib statement that's easy to make from a distance?

Is it something that you would say to the brave firemen who have been reduced to tears because they weren't there quickly enough in numbers to hold back the blaze?
They witnessed the hopeless screams of those they couldn't save.

Fire moves at pace in the right conditions and reaction times are absolutely critical if lives are to be saved. Particularly where many many lives are to be saved. This kind of fire needs to be anticipated by careful planning so that tens of fire crews respond in under ten minutes.
Not just the first couple of engines.
There's bugger all on the roads around suburban areas of London at 1 am in the morning on Tuesday night.
Even doing the 30mph speed limit (never mind an emergency situation), I can travel three or four suburbs in under 10 minutes in London at the time of the morning.
This wasn't rush hour or regular day traffic, there was nothing on the roads and this is the quickest the crews can get there??

it's not the firefighters fault.
There simply isn't enough of them to serve an issue like this. Yet there are hundreds of tower blocks across London.
Boris Johnson hasn't heard the last of his lethal legacy as mayor.

The confirmed death toll is already 12 dead.
18 people are in critical care.
They still haven't got near areas on the upper floors where there may no longer be any trace of bodies that have been consumed in the conflagration.
Arrival times were definitely a big problem.
Now there may be other problems that contributed to the tragedy but cutting firemen numbers and selling off fire stations in an overpopulated city with many high rise tower apartments is not a clever idea at any time and the results have come home to roost pretty quickly.
Boris Johnson was all too keen to accept plaudits for his budget saving cuts at the time, but, when you cut essential life saving services like the firefighters, in a big over populated city, then those poor choices and poor management come home to roost.

Tell me this didn't make a difference...

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/14/boris...told-rival-politician-to-get-stuffed-6708609/

Last edited:
Here's a pertinent quote from the time of the cuts...

'Mayor's disregard for the safety of Londoners'

Labour's London Assembly member Murad Qureshi said the plans were going ahead despite 82% of Londoners opposing them.
He said: "Boris Johnson's dictatorial approach in forcing through these cuts betrays his utter disdain for proper democratic process.

"Local people in Kensington and Chelsea are going to be understandably furious that the Mayor has ignored their views and forced through his cuts to their local fire services.

"The Mayor's decision to impose these cuts shows a disregard for the safety of Londoners, particularly when alternatives were available.
Last time the Mayor axed fire engines in Kensington and Chelsea the result was an increase in how long it takes fire crews to get to incidents.

"Boris should have learnt from that mistake and backed down on these unnecessary cuts."

Waking across London Bridge yesterday morning, looking to the left I could clearly see the smoke and on my right were floral tributes to those killed in the terrorist attack. Felt sick.

Yeah it's been a rough old time for the regular folk here in England in the last couple of months.

Teresa May is getting it in the neck from the media because she went to Grenfell Towers yesterday and didn't bother to meet any of the residents or the neighbours.

Just blaming the politicians in the UK is a cop out through and through. The people elected them.

You get the govt you deserve. Weather its a terrorist attack or shody legislation the UK people are also complicit.

Just blaming the politicians in the UK is a cop out through and through. The people elected them.

You get the govt you deserve. Weather its a terrorist attack or shody legislation the UK people are also complicit.
What utter nonsense I never voted for this government and I didn't 100% vote for the previous one. I've also never voted Labour.....so I'm unsure how we all get the government we deserve.

What utter nonsense I never voted for this government and I didn't 100% vote for the previous one. I've also never voted Labour.....so I'm unsure how we all get the government we deserve.

Your country didnt end up in the situation its in because of two govts. This is generations of **** ups.

And so it begins: You dont need to have a crystal ball to see this coming.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-40322960

Last edited:

Latest posts