• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Major League Rugby

Why is the Glendale team named after a suburb instead of Denver or Colorado?

Why is the Glendale team named after a suburb instead of Denver or Colorado?

According to the font of knowledge that is Wikipedia, Glendale is a city in its own right. It makes for a confusing product for this outsider - until recently I assumed that they were based in the Glendale in California that I had heard of thanks to The Big Bang Theory.

Yeah, the city I think of when "Glendale" is mentioned is the Phoenix suburb where the Arizona Cardinals NFL team is located.

Lots of pro teams in the US have their stadium in a suburb, but I've never heard of a top division team using that suburb as their name.

They are backed (owned) by the city of Glendale, a suburb of Denver. Hence the name, Glendale Raptors.

It was a good season, hoping to see a growth in attendance next season

It was a good season, hoping to see a growth in attendance next season

Saw some of the highlights on Rugby Wrap up and have been impressed. Decent sized crowds all things considered a decent 1st season all told.

If the league can grow year on year (ratio-wise) anywhere near how the MLS has, it will be a big success.

If it grows half what the MLS is then USA in 15/20 years will be a powerhouse. One thing USA have is raw material specially manpower and money.

Manpower: From people who wants to play and the ones rejected from College/NFL cuts, etc. Young people with great fitness. A 2nd chance to make money from sports.
Money: From sponsors will come if you gather a crowd.

Now you need the 3rd thing; Knowledge....and that can be bought.

I really hope that it takes off. It can potentially open a good market for Arg players.

If it grows half what the MLS is then USA in 15/20 years will be a powerhouse. One thing USA have is raw material specially manpower and money.

Manpower: From people who wants to play and the ones rejected from College/NFL cuts, etc. Young people with great fitness. A 2nd chance to make money from sports.
Money: From sponsors will come if you gather a crowd.

Now you need the 3rd thing; Knowledge....and that can be bought.

I really hope that it takes off. It can potentially open a good market for Arg players.
This is way, way behind where MLS was when it started. The two really aren't comparable.

This is way, way behind where MLS was when it started. The two really aren't comparable.

I don't think that FNS was comparing where the leagues were when they started, just saying that MLR will be a powerhouse if it grows to half of what MLS is now it will be a powerhouse. Looking at the numbers, this is certainly true, but as you say, it would have to grow a lot more than MLS has in its first 22 years to even be half was to where MLS is (in terms of attendance at least). I suspect the challenge is the relative lack of recentish immigrants from rugby countries to act as ready made fans, meaning that they need to convert people who are new to the sport.

I don't think that FNS was comparing where the leagues were when they started, just saying that MLR will be a powerhouse if it grows to half of what MLS is now it will be a powerhouse. Looking at the numbers, this is certainly true, but as you say, it would have to grow a lot more than MLS has in its first 22 years to even be half was to where MLS is (in terms of attendance at least). I suspect the challenge is the relative lack of recentish immigrants from rugby countries to act as ready made fans, meaning that they need to convert people who are new to the sport.
I suspect the problem facing rugby growth in the US is the lack of kids playing it, and the fact that a similar sport in American football already occupies that space. Soccer was played by generations of Americans, even if only in middle school gym class, before the MLS came. Soccer also filled a role as the autumn team sport for the less physical kids to play instead of American football. The MLS had a large base of people familiar with soccer to start with.
I don't follow the MLS as the city whose pro teams I support does not have a franchise, but my perception is that it's middle class Americans and hipsters that make up the core of it's fanbase. I don't think it's extremely popular in immigrant communities.
This opinion is uninformed, but I wonder if the people in the MLR should target middle aged, working class American football fans to build an initial audience. It seems like most sports leagues have recently geared their products towards young, hip crowds and old, rich people, so there might be a cultural opening when combined with cost effectiveness. I also wonder if rugby has more of a future as an adult participation sport, versus a kids participation sport. You can't really play American football as an adult, but rugby could be a substitute for people who played football as their main sport growing up. Maybe tie the potential to play the sport at a "fun" level with marketing for the MLR teams.

Any chance ESPN+ picks this up next year? I really don't want to make a Facebook account. Fake or not.

I suspect the problem facing rugby growth in the US is the lack of kids playing it, and the fact that a similar sport in American football already occupies that space. Soccer was played by generations of Americans, even if only in middle school gym class, before the MLS came. Soccer also filled a role as the autumn team sport for the less physical kids to play instead of American football. The MLS had a large base of people familiar with soccer to start with.
I don't follow the MLS as the city whose pro teams I support does not have a franchise, but my perception is that it's middle class Americans and hipsters that make up the core of it's fanbase. I don't think it's extremely popular in immigrant communities.
This opinion is uninformed, but I wonder if the people in the MLR should target middle aged, working class American football fans to build an initial audience. It seems like most sports leagues have recently geared their products towards young, hip crowds and old, rich people, so there might be a cultural opening when combined with cost effectiveness. I also wonder if rugby has more of a future as an adult participation sport, versus a kids participation sport. You can't really play American football as an adult, but rugby could be a substitute for people who played football as their main sport growing up. Maybe tie the potential to play the sport at a "fun" level with marketing for the MLR teams.

You wont gets kids that`s for sure. Football is and will always be the american contact sport of choose but you do have literally hundred of undrafted 23/24 y/o. All those MLB/OLB/CB/SS/FS that dont make the cut they are in almost good weight and speed for rugby(not the stamina sure).

In the least surprising news of the season New York announced the signing of Foden last week.
Be interesting to see whether MLR goes the MLS route of signing a bunch of older ex-internationals. Would definitely get more eyeballs on the league, but I don't know whether the money is there

In the least surprising news of the season New York announced the signing of Foden last week.
Be interesting to see whether MLR goes the MLS route of signing a bunch of older ex-internationals. Would definitely get more eyeballs on the league, but I don't know whether the money is there

Apparently they took it down from their website.

His life has changed quite a bit in the past couple days so who knows.

Replies to different posts:

Espn+ already broadcasts two games a week. You should be able to view games on Facebook without an account as long as you use a VPN so it thinks your from another country.

And mls was playing in front of large empty stadiums for the first couple years. I remember my dad dragging me to games.

MLR had a pretty good start, but comparing it to the MLS isn't really with anyone's time. The television landscape was completely different back then with live sports not being as valuable as they are now. We also have a lot more platforms to broadcast games.

MLR might never reach MLS heights, but it doesn't need to to be one of the top rugby leagues in the world.

Last edited:
Apparently they took it down from their website.

His life has changed quite a bit in the past couple days so who knows.
Christ I missed all this gossip, just googled it.
Naughty naughty!

Edit: Just reading Rugby United NY's initial announcement and it's hilarious. Its written like that parody Twitter account of an American 'soccer fan, with repeated mentions of the try zone, whatever that is

Last edited:
Christ I missed all this gossip, just googled it.
Naughty naughty!

I had to do the same - I think it's a good reflection on both of us that we had to! What a tabloid "journalist's" dream with the chance of all the "scrumming down" references. Does the word "romp" ever get used outside the tabloid gossip pages?!?

Latest posts