• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Makybe Diva rewrites history

W

Wally

0211_makybe2_a_lg.jpg

Makybe Diva rewrote racing history on Tuesday when she won her second consecutive Melbourne Cup.

Starting 5-2 favourite, Makybe Diva splashed through steady rain to beat Irish galloper Vinnie Roe (5-1) and Zazzman (100-1) to become the first mare to win the Cup twice.

She also shouldered a mare's weight-carrying record of 55.5kg and a flood of money from all over the country made her the shortest-priced winner since Rising Fast at the same odds 50 years ago.

Trainer Lee Freedman said he had a feeling before the race that she would win.

"It was like having a present under the tree and I couldn't open it until 3.15," he said.

"To take her over from David (Hall) and to repeat it, and to break history to have to do it, is an amazing thing - it's a great feeling.

"I'm just lucky that I'm here today to be able to enjoy it and having won my fourth Melbourne Cup.

"I can't believe it."

Winning jockey Glen Boss hugged the rail and was in traffic back in eighth place at the 800m.

Approaching the turn he was riding for luck and it duly presented a run up the inside in the straight where Makybe Diva shot to the front inside the 200m.

She held off Vinnie Roe by 1-1/4 lengths with Zazzman 2-1/2 lengths away third.

"That's how I ride. They either look unlucky getting beaten or I look a genius," Boss said.

"It was great training performance by Lee. She was trained to the minute."

Rain began falling two hours before the Cup, drenching the large crowd at Flemington.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=21446

I remember when we bear Australia at Lansdowne in 2002, they paraded the Melbourne Cup, Dermot Weld had trained Media Puzzle, at half time. ****** some Aussie fans off no end.

Must have been a fairly decent mare to hold of Vinnie Roe, has won the Irish St Leger the last 4 times.