MANU SAMOA squad for the 2011 PNC

AfakasiAssasin

Academy Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Samoa
Squad
Sakaria Taulafo, Anthony Perenise, Logovii Mulipola, Simon Lemalu, Ole Avei, Tii Paulo, Filipo Levi, Joe Tekori, Taiasina Tuifua, Daniel Leo, Kane Thompson,Maurie Faasavalu, Ezra Taylor, Manaia Salavea,George Stowers,Lualua Vailoaloa, Uale Mai, Tusi Pisi,Tasesa Lavea, Eliota Sapolu-Fuimaono, George Pisi, Johnny Leota, Seilala Maposua,Sailosi Tagicakipau, Alesana Tuilagi, Timoteo Iosua, Paul Williams, James Sooialo.

Travelling Reserves to Fiji:-
Mahonri Schwalger, Census Johnston, Jonathon Faamatuainu, Ray Ofisa, Afa Aiono, Ofisa Treviranus, Herman Porter, Brenton Helleur, Faatonu Fili, Fautua Otto, David Lemi, James Johnston.

This looks to be a mix of players destined for the world cup and players on the cusp given the chance to see what they can do. Soo happy to see the return of Maurie Fa'asavalu after an 8 year absence and good to see Ole Aveii, Taiasina Tuifua, Ezra Taylor, Lualua Vailoaloa, Timoteo Iosua, Tusi Pisi,James Sooialo, Timoteo Iosua given the opputrunity to show what they have to offer . Wouldve liked to see Fa'atonu Fili, Ofisa Treviranus, James Johnston, and Brenton Helleur to be given the chance before the world cup but not to be. Also interesting to see Henry Tuilagi and Kahn Fotuali'i not in the squad at all, Hopefully Tuilagi is just resting and I think Fotuali'i might still be playing for the Crusaders as their season is'nt over yet. Wonder who will captain the side with Mahonri Schwalger only in the traveling reserves (the really need to solidify one player as permanent captain instead of chop'n'changing everytime they get together since Semo Sititi retired).
Anyways best of luck in bringing the PNC back to Samoa again. Shame I dont think the PNC is going to be telivised though :(

Last edited:
Interesting as I thought Samoa would opt to put in there strongest squad available to try and get a roll on and win the PNC. A good win over Fiji will be an added psychological advantage. Would have been good to get the best squad available and carry on where they left off from last years end of tour. James So'oialo, younger brother of Stephen and Rodney, a bit of a surprise pick. Played a couple of games last year in the ITM cup and proves to be a reliable kicker with his club team. Henry Tuilagi probably getting a rest and Kahn involved with Crusaders for Super rugby playoffs.

A few players missing from squad - Alapati Leiua (Getting a rest after Super 15)), Steve Fualau (Not sure whats happening with him), Junior Polu (I would have thought he would have been our number 2 halfback after Kahn Fotuali'i), Anetela Tuilagi (Looks like on the outer), Alafoti Faosiliva (Maybe injured still).

Really hope we win the PNC or at least a couple of games. Will really put the pressure on heading in to the World Cup with a squad that hasn't gelled, that's why I thought and would of hoped that they took the same squad they took to the Northern Hemisphere end of last year.

I agree, Mahonri Schwalger should of been retained as team captain on this tour. Can't say he's been burned out from Super Rugby, he's only been playing 40 minute games. Don't really rate Stowers as a captain so maybe Filipo Levi but then he's not a definite starter at lock. Good luck to the boys anyway with full support.

My starting lineup from the players selected;

1. Anthony Perenise
2. Ti'i Paulo
3. Sakaria Taulafo
4. Jo Tekori
5. Filipo Levi (Captain)
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Manaia Salavea
8. George Stowers
9. Uale Mai
10. Tasesa Lavea
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapusua
13. Eliota Fuimaono
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul Williams

16. Ole Avei
17. Simon Lemalu
18. Daniel Leo
19. Ezra Taylor
20. Lualua Vailoaloa
21. Tusi Pisi
22. George Pisi

That's a solid group to start with, but no doubt there's still some cutting to do.

We have to play 4 games in 15 days, so it's not a surprise that some will be rested - as long as we're close to full strength against Australia, then I'm sweet.

As for captain, Mapusua would be my pick.
Squad
Wouldve liked to see Fa'atonu Fili, Ofisa Treviranus, James Johnston, and Brenton Helleur to be given the chance before the world cup but not to be.
Treviranus will definitely get game time if fit before the World Cup, remember they're in the travelling reserves 'to Fiji',so they're still part of the squad, they're just not going to Japan.

Thats a strong looking Squad that backline should look class agains others in the Pacific Nations Cup. Bonus that this backline is similar to the side that featured at last years end of year tour. Combinations starting to form nicely before the World Cup.

Yea.. Ofisa not travelling due to a family funeral. But i think he will be ready for the matches in Fiji.

Im thinking (With all due respect to Japan) abit of experimental and blooding time for Samoa. I feel give some of the young guns and new players some game time mixing in with some of the established regulars in their opener. RWC is around the corner soo now is as good as time as any to see what they can do.

My Starting team of the PNC opener
1. Simon Lemalu
2. Ti'i Paulo
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Kane Thompson
5. Dan Leo
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Manaia Salavea
8. Ezra Taylor
9. Uale Mai
10. Tusi Pisi
11. Timoteo Iosua
12. Jonny Leota
13. Seilala Mapusua (captain)
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. James So'oialo

16. Ole Avei
17. Saukari Taulafo
18. Joe Tekori
19. George Stowers
20. Lualua Vailoaloa
21. Tasesa Lavea
22. Paul Williams

Nah man.. We should not underestimate Japan again unless we want to be shamed again.

They have a Pro structure already.. They are professionals.

We should play our best team.. Honestly, i HATE losing to Japan.

Kovana is right :) japan is a tough team to beat now days . Instead of us thrashing them, its like close scores nw, really sucks!!.

Awww nd isnt henry tuilagi going to play against aussy ?. Wats happening with henry tuilagi ?.

yes I agree, Japan is not to be taken lightly. it should be an even encounter playing Japan on their home turf. Any other time I would agree to play our absolute best available squad, but with the RWC around the corner, as I said some players need game time to showcase what they have to offer against well drilled opposition and wether they have what it takes to make the final RWC squad. Japan is a quality team just about on Par to Samoa as they are well drilled unit. It be a great test for some of our newcomers who are on the cusp to prove themselves worthy RWC selection which is ultimately the bigger picture.

I really would like to see henry tuilagi in the mix. Would be great to have him available for the game against Australia and Fiji. Would love to see him in action against the southern hemisphere teams. Show how good of a number 8 he is. Here is my squad for the Australia game can't wait.

1. Anthony Perenise
2. Ti'i Paulo
3. Sakaria Taulafo
4. Jo Tekori
5. Filipo Levi (Captain)
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Manaia Salavea
8. Henry Tuilagi
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tasesa Lavea
11. Alesana Tuilagi
12. Seilala Mapusua
13. Eliota Fuimaono
14. Sailosi Tagicakibau
15. Paul Williams

16. Ole Avei
17. Simon Lemalu
18. Daniel Leo
19. Ezra Taylor
20. Uale Mai
21. Fa'atonu Fili
22. George Pisi

I like your team Aucklander. Only differances Id make is I feel Kane Thompson needs to be in the mix as he is IMO our best lineout option. We need our best options at the set piece to play if we are to compete against the tier 1 opposition as this is where I feel theyll target to expose us come World Cup. That is why Id start Kane Thompson over Iosefa Tekori and why Id start Anthony Perenise over Cencus Johnston. Id also have Ofisa Treviranus in their at openside to start, but maybe Manaia Salevea may be able to show me something in the PNC to warrant his selection. Id like to fit Ezra Taylor in the lineup somewhere as he can provide another lineout option either in the loose trio or at lock. My backline would be the same as yours with either Mapasua or Levi as captain.

My team to face the Wallabies

1 Sakaria Taulafo
2 Ti'i Paulo
3 Anthony Perenise
4 Kane Thompson
5 Felipo levi
6 Maurie Fa'asavalu
7 Ofisa Treviranus
8 Henry Tuilagi (Ezra Taylor is he isnt available)
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
10 Tasesa lavea
11 Sailosi Tagicakibau
12 Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu
13 Seilala Mapasua
14 Alesana Tuilagi
15 Paul Williams

16 Mahonri Schwalger
17 Cencus Johnston
18 Iosefa Tekori
19 Ezra Taylor (if he starts then George Stowers)
20 Uale Mai
21 Fa'atonu Fili
22 George Pisi

Malo pepo, just wanted to add to the forum..Few surprises there with Schwalger, Johnston and Ofisa not in the mix, but I believe that these guys are resting before the Wallabies test match. The squad will change come that match. Look to see a few more players added such Alapati Leiua, and Kahn once they return from injury and super rugby commitments respectively.

Interesting about Census -starts for one of the best sides in Europe. He's an integral part of that Toulouse front-row. His role in that team is to play wide and they use him as a battering ram. He goes really well, and holds his own at scrum time. Maybe we should use him the same way? Out wide as the crash-ball guy?

I think the last year's tour to England was the best indicator of our strongest squad. So I would go with the same lineup that started against England. Eli out for G. Pisi. Eli is more of a 12 than a 13, plus feel Pisi is better defensively. Seilala has that jersey wrapped up, so Eli drops out of the squad. And Tekori to start at lock in front of F. Levi. Just feel that this is Iosefa's time. He was abit cold at the last World Cup but his performances for Castres and Barbarians show he can be a threat with the ball in hand and is very aggressive at the breakdown. Needs to play 50-80 minutes rather than have a 20 minute stint. Surprised to see Ezra Taylor in the squad, not really convinced by him. We have ball runners in abudance in that position. But he could prove me wrong.

Maurie - Haven't heard much about him since he defected to Harlequins. But if he is still the bull that made the Great Britian league side - he'll be awesome for Samoa. Put him on the bench for Ofisa, a 30 minute stint from Maurie would do wonders for a tiring team. Get him running at Quade Cooper and Giteau. Straight to him off a lineout maybe? lol

Side to face Wallabies

1 Sakaria Taulafo
2 Mahonri Schwalger
3 Anthony Perenise
4 Kane Thompson
5 Iosefa Tekori
6 Ofisa Trevarinus
7 Manaia Salavea
8 Henry Tuilagi
9 Kahn Fotuali'i
10 Tasesa lavea
11 Alapati Leiua
12 Seilala Mapusua
13 George Pisi
14 Alesana Tuilagi
15 Paul Williams

16 Tii Paulo
17 Cencus Johnston
18 Filipo Levi
19 Maurie Fasavalu
20 Junior Polu
21 Tusi Pisi - just lead his side to a championship in Japan, heard mumurs out of the camp he has impressed the players and coaching staff. Pushing Tasesa for a starting place.
22 Sailosi Tagicakibau

team looked strong, Ofisa trevor will start next week especially playin fiji, the man will hit anything that moves infront of him... goodluck boys and go get'em! GO MANU!

Malo JFKFalealupo. Good to see another Samoan poster join the TRF, welcome to the Froum:cool:.
This is just the PNC squad soo Im sure theyll still be in the mix for the RWC and for the match vs the Wallabies.
Interesting about Census -starts for one of the best sides in Europe. He's an integral part of that Toulouse front-row. His role in that team is to play wide and they use him as a battering ram. He goes really well, and holds his own at scrum time. Maybe we should use him the same way? Out wide as the crash-ball guy?
Cencus is very good in loose play and getting round the park. As you said he is great out wide as a crash-ball type ball runner as he has very good pace for a man of his size and build. He can also put on a big hit if players decide to run head on into him. However, I have seen him scrummage at both elite club and international level and I have seen him struggle to hold his own against some of the top tier front rowers. I really like his all round game, but I think he is better served coming off the bench alowing Perenise to start. Anthony Perenise is IMO Samoas best scrummaging option at tighthead as evidenced by how well the scrum held up in last years November tour.
I think the last year's tour to England was the best indicator of our strongest squad. So I would go with the same lineup that started against England. Eli out for G. Pisi. Eli is more of a 12 than a 13, plus feel Pisi is better defensively. Seilala has that jersey wrapped up, so Eli drops out of the squad.
I feel our depth in the midfield is really good at the moment. Eliota can give us that extra playmaker in the midfield and has been in top form playing for Gloucester. G pisi played really good and combined well with Mapasua last year for Samoa. We also have Jonny Leota, Alipate Leiua and Anitelia Tuilagi all of whom can push to start alongside Mapasua. I think its undisputed though that Mapasua will start if healthy, just who he will pair with is the question. Either way our midfield options is looking as dangerous and better than its been for as long as I can remember.
Tekori to start at lock in front of F. Levi. Just feel that this is Iosefa's time. He was abit cold at the last World Cup but his performances for Castres and Barbarians show he can be a threat with the ball in hand and is very aggressive at the breakdown. Needs to play 50-80 minutes rather than have a 20 minute stint. Surprised to see Ezra Taylor in the squad, not really convinced by him. We have ball runners in abudance in that position. But he could prove me wrong.
Tekori is a great impact player. He is another like Cencus Johnston who is great in the loose and out wide. I feel he may be another who is better served as an impact player coming off the bench doubling up as cover at either lock and at number 8. Kane Thompson and Felipo Levi are our better lineout options at lock which is what where going to need to compete against the Tier 1 competition come RWC . Although if Ezra Taylor starts in the loose trio somewhere, he can provide us with the 2nd linout option and have Iosefa Tekori start for Felipo Levi. Ezra, from what Ive seen, can provide to be quite handy in the lineout and can even provide a third option. If he can play well in the PNC and/or against the Wallabies then he can be handy either starting or on the bench in a RWC lineup.

Maurie - Haven't heard much about him since he defected to Harlequins. But if he is still the bull that made the Great Britian league side - he'll be awesome for Samoa. Put him on the bench for Ofisa, a 30 minute stint from Maurie would do wonders for a tiring team. Get him running at Quade Cooper and Giteau. Straight to him off a lineout maybe? lol
Maurie has played well since his return to union playing for Harlequins. I think he'll probably wrap up the #6 jersey as his own as he seems to have not lost a step since his 8 year absence from Union. I always thought he would return to play for Manu Samoa one day and it seems that day will come soon. Exciting times for Manu Samoa if he can fire the way he did at the 2003 RWC.

Malo JK - I agree with what you have said. Tekori has been one of the star locks in the Heineken cup hence his selection for the Barbarians. He has matured since the last world cup and seems to be playing more consistently these days. I'm not sure about Kane Thompson. Although a good lineout jumper, he was playing number 8 last season for Southland and hasn't been playing much top rugby this year and I think that may count against him. The question is would you have a someone who has been in top form in the Heineken cup or someone who can't make a super 14 squad? I'd like to see Taiasina Tuifua & Jo Tekori in the second row with Ezra Taylor playing 6, giving Samoa another line out option. Taisiana is a monster and word in the counties manukau and chiefs camp is that he adds a lot of power and grunt during scrum time. He's a mobile lock and can cover number 6 as well. Devastating runner with ball in hand and not afraid to get in there and do the ruff stuff. Would compliment Tekori and Tuilagi quite well. Not sure too many teams would want to come up against those three monsters. Alafoti Faosiliva is my wild card pick for the world cup. Not sure if he's injured but I think he would be our best impact forward off the bench. Can play all three back row positions.

To be honest, I don't mind who starts as props. We have three good props and I'm sure Tom Coventry, one of the best forward coaches in the country will get the best of our forwards. He did a great job with the forward pack during the end of year tour last year and will no doubt help to improve more this year. He has a good pedigree and you can see the difference he's made with the Hawkes Bay forward pack over the last few years. Chiefs are lucky to have signed him up as assistant coach for next years super 15. (Chiefs Coaches for next year - Dave Rennie, Tom Coventry & Technical Adviser - Wayne Smith). Some good things happening there!!

Back line - Don't think there will be too many surprises here. Kahn got halfback position when he gets back from Super Rugby. First five will be interesting, Tasesa should get the nod but I think Tusi Pisi will be pushing him hard. Who starts against Australia, time will tell. Mapusua at 2nd five although he hasn't really played as well this year as last and seems to have lost a bit of pace. Should still get the nod for experience and leadership on the field. George Pisi is the incumbent and has done nothing wrong so he remains in my starting line up. I also like JK would Alapati Leiua in my starting lineup. Has a bit more energy and is very dangerous on attack and solid on defence.

Fa'atonu Fili - I wonder if anyone has spoken to this guy to try his hand at half back?? Is one of the best passers in Rugby. Great vision and has a good kicking game. Would love to see him have a go at half back.

So, here my line up against the Wallabies

1. Sakaria Taulafo
2. Mahonri Schwalger
3. Anthony Perenise
4. Taiasina tuifua
5. Jo Tekori
6. Ezra Taylor
7. Ofisa Travaranus
8. Henry Tuilagi
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10.Tasesa Lavea
11.Alesana Tuilagi
12.Seilala Mapusua
13.George Pisi
14.Alapati Leiua
15.Paul Williams*

16.Ti'i Paulo
17.Census Johnston
18.Filipo Levi
19.Alafoti Faosiliva
20.Junior Polu
21.Tusi Pisi (Covering 10 & 15)
22.Eliota Sapolu (Covering 12 & 13)

* Paul Williams can slot in to the wing if one goes down.

Tekori has been one of the star locks in the Heineken cup hence his selection for the Barbarians. He has matured since the last world cup and seems to be playing more consistently these days. I'm not sure about Kane Thompson. Although a good lineout jumper, he was playing number 8 last season for Southland and hasn't been playing much top rugby this year and I think that may count against him. The question is would you have a someone who has been in top form in the Heineken cup or someone who can't make a super 14 squad? I'd like to see Taiasina Tuifua & Jo Tekori in the second row with Ezra Taylor playing 6, giving Samoa another line out option. Taisiana is a monster and word in the counties manukau and chiefs camp is that he adds a lot of power and grunt during scrum time. He's a mobile lock and can cover number 6 as well. Devastating runner with ball in hand and not afraid to get in there and do the ruff stuff. Would compliment Tekori and Tuilagi quite well. Not sure too many teams would want to come up against those three monsters. Alafoti Faosiliva is my wild card pick for the world cup. Not sure if he's injured but I think he would be our best impact forward off the bench. Can play all three back row positions.
I guess you could be right with Taiasina Tuifua, though I have yet to see him play so I cant pass judgment yet. On paper i guess it WOULD make sense to pick someone who was playing in top form in the Heiniken cup (Tekori) or someone who was playing in Super Rugby (Tuifua) over someone who couldnt break into a Super rugby squad (Thompson). My big basis on Thompson's selection aswell as Levi over Tekori is they have been Samoas most potent Lineout options as of late and that it is an area which is going to be crucial for us to work well at if we are to compete against the tier 1 countries come RWC . Tuifua I havent seen yet but if he can prove to be just as viable come lineout time for Samoa then he could overtake either Thompson or Levi in the starting lineup. Dan Leo is another option but hasnt had much gametime for Samoa in the last 2 years as Levi, Thompson or Tekori.

Back line - Don't think there will be too many surprises here. Kahn got halfback position when he gets back from Super Rugby. First five will be interesting, Tasesa should get the nod but I think Tusi Pisi will be pushing him hard. Who starts against Australia, time will tell. Mapusua at 2nd five although he hasn't really played as well this year as last and seems to have lost a bit of pace. Should still get the nod for experience and leadership on the field. George Pisi is the incumbent and has done nothing wrong so he remains in my starting line up. I also like JK would Alapati Leiua in my starting lineup. Has a bit more energy and is very dangerous on attack and solid on defence.
As I stated I dont mind who pairs up in the midfield, as I feel all the possible combinations with either Seilala Mapasua, Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu, George Pisi, Andy Tuilagi, Johnny Leota and Alipate Leiua (although Leiua isnt in the PNC squad) could be as deadly and potent with which ever way they choose to go. In a full strength line-up I would probably go with Eliota Fuimaono-Sapolu to give us an extra playmaker at 12 with Seilala Mapasua at 13.
The number 9 jersey their is no debate on who will start as Fotuali'i has made that jersey his own, though the first five position could be hotly contested over the next few months leading up to the RWC. While Tasesa Lavea may have it atm Tusi Pisi and Fa'atonu Fili are right on his heels and could take over if he cannot secure by playing consistently well.
Fa'atonu Fili - I wonder if anyone has spoken to this guy to try his hand at half back?? Is one of the best passers in Rugby. Great vision and has a good kicking game. Would love to see him have a go at half back.
Yes this would be an interesting experiment. On his best days he is an unbelievable play maker with great vision, x factor style of play and outstanding distribution skills. But he is very hot and cold and when he isn't in scintilizing form he is absolutely HORRENDOUS and can look like the worlds WORST rugby player. I hope he gets some game time once they arrive in Fiji for their games vs Fiji and Tonga.

On another note in case anyone missed my post in the PNC squads section. Good news for those in Australia. Fox Sports 2 will be broadcasting Both Pacific Nations games Tuesday morning starting at 3:30am EST with Fiji vs Tonga then at 5:00 am EST with Samoa vs Japan.:cool::cool::cool:

Last edited:
Malo Afakasi. They playing the game here in Nz live on sky rugby 37 kick off 9pm. Blues vs Reds 9.30pm. Thank goodness for My Sky ha ha!

Manu Samoa Vs Australia

My Team would be

1. Sakaria Taulafo
2. Ti'i Paulo
3. Census Johnston
4. Jo Tekori
5. Ezra Taylor
6. Maurie Fa'asavalu
7. Manaia Salavea
8. Henry Tuilagi
9. Kahn Fotuali'i
10. Tasesa Lavea