16 MacDonald
17 Murray
18 Graham
19 Lowe
20 Wilson
21 Ripia
22 Baker

Good squad.

Canada's going to get beaten by quite a bit, hopefully it will at least be an entertaining and free flowing game and we can get a couple of tries. It's not worth ranking points or anything stats wise, so at least if it can help as a developmental game it will have some purpose.

Is the Canada vs Maori game likely to be picked up by a NZ TV network? If so I can see it being shown here on a simulcast or stream, I would say there is virtually zero chance a Canadian network will be pick it up on it's own.

Hard to say, might be on the Rugby Channel, but not guarantees...

Would love to see the the game but I suspect it is going to be a hiding. This is a very good looking squad that would be competitive with almost any tier 1 country. For the likes of Canada with a couple of its best missing it is going to be hairy.

Do you still have to have some Maori qualification to play for this side?

declan_0711_2.jpg

Declan O'Donnell doesn't look nor sound very Maori.

declan_0711_2.jpg

He's most likely part. I think at the very least you need to be 1/8th or a sixteenth (don't quote me :p).

Looking at him, I wouldn't even question his eligibility for the Maori. It's more guys like Jason Eaton or Daniel Braid who you'd have question marks on, simply on looks, though.

declan.jpg

I remember Daniel Braid saying he was like 1/64 Maori, so I don't think percentage matters much in this team.

declan_0711_2.jpg

'Sounding maori' is more a product of where you are from rather than being maori or not. It's just an accent. A maori person would have a cockney accent if they grew up in east London, they wouldn't somehow retain the 'maori accent'.

Haha - Declan O'Donnell is so very clearly Maori. Despite being ginger. Not to draw on steriotypes, but how in the hell does he not sound Maori?

If you can trace back your Maori heritage and which iwi you are from - that's all they require. It's not done on blood...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Psychic may have been referring to the O'Donnell surname not sounding Maori and not his accent.

Sounds like a paddy to me.
I am an expert on names, so you can trust my opinion.

You can tell O'Donnell has a decent bit of Maori in him by looking at his facial features, the fact that he's quite fair doesn't really say much. No comment on the 'Maoriness' of a couple of the names being brought up here, though.

Latest posts