• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Maori XV

james5000

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Chiefs
I've been playing a bit of Rugby Challenge and decided to make my Maori XV. It was very difficult to select a team, the competition for positions would be very good. Just wondering if any one can improve on it???

What would your 22 look like?

Here's mine

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 1. Kees Meeuws/Ben Afeaki/Clint Newlands
2. Hika Elliot
3. Carl Hayman
4. Jarrod Hoeata
5. Hayden Triggs/Issac Ross/Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Daniel Braid/Tanerau Latimer/Luke Braid
8. Colin Bourke/Thomas Waldrom

9. Piri Weepu
10. Quade Cooper (He's a born and bred maori, why not pick him lol)
11. Hosea Gear
12. Dan Carter (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10648090)
13. Richard Kahui
14. Cory Jane
15. Israel Dagg

Reserves
16. Ben Afeaki/Clint Newlands/ Kees Meeuws
17. Aled De Malmanche/Cory Flynn
18. Hayden Triggs/Issac Ross/Romana Graham
19. Daniel Braid/Tanerau Latimer/Luke Braid
20. Aaron Smith/Chris Smylie
21. Aaron Cruden
22. Sean Maitland/Zach Guilford

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Squad
Luke McAlister
Robbie Robinson
Stephen Brett
Karl Lowe
Dane Coles
Andre Taylor
Scott Waldrom
Matt Berquist
Riki Flutey
Bruce Reihana
Marty Holah

There's probably a few people that i didn't think of, i am curious on eligibility of a few people as well.

Does any one know if the following are maori?
Conrad Smith? (He's from Hawera lol, and i always thought he may have some darker blood in him just doesn't look 100% European)
Whitelock Brothers? I see Sam Whitelock and think he could have maori heritage may be??

Last edited:
Cory Jane qualifies for NZ Maori?
Wouldn't expect that - then again Paul ***o played for Maori and he's full on ginger

Cory Jane has already represented the Maori.
He talks like a Maori, he is pretty fair though, same colour as me pretty much and i'm a proud Maori lol

Last edited:
Dan Carter??? Ranger was refused to play for the Maori cause hes a Cook Island Maori. Burquist cant have any Maori in him hes just tanned haha. And not sure about Biggs Afeaki either?

He talks like a Maori, he is pretty fair though, same colour as me pretty much and i'm a proud Maori lol

interesting... how exactly does a Maori speak? like Jake the Muss, Billy T james (or one of his characters), or sir howard morrison. i'm confused?

Afeaki played in last years Maori team, Berquist has played before!

Dan Carter is a Maori as far as i have heard (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10648090)

Ranger, yeah i was thinking he may have been part NZ Maori but obviously i was wrong, doesn't change the team at all any way
(I just did some research and Ranger claim's NZ Maori heritage, although he couldn't prove his claim and hence isn't eligible.)

Last edited:
You met many maori? G its pretty obvious how Maori talk

Last edited:

Paul ***o is a freckle faced, pasty white ginga, but he's still a Maori and has represented NZ Maori

Dan Carter??? Ranger was refused to play for the Maori cause hes a Cook Island Maori. Burquist cant have any Maori in him hes just tanned haha. And not sure about Biggs Afeaki either?

Rene Ranger isn't a "Cook Island Maori", he's a Cook Islander. No Maori there at all.

interesting... how exactly does a Maori speak? like Jake the Muss, Billy T james (or one of his characters), or sir howard morrison. i'm confused?

Its BS mate, its a cultural thing. I know white people from Wairoa and Reporoa, who when they talk, if you shut your eyes you would swear are Maori.

I use to hear (on the radio) a female singer/pianist called Diana Krall. I had never seen a picture of her, and I got the shock of my life when I saw her for the first time on TV..... she is a white blond, but listening to her voice, I had always visualised her as Black!!

"Cook Island Maori" and "Cook Islander" are interchangeable terms.

I know its quite funny, Cook Islanders are also technically NZ citizens, which would make them NZers and Maori.

Last edited:
You met many maori? G its pretty obvious how Maori talk

Have to agree, I'm Irish but I lived in New Zealand(Queenstown) for two years, after seeing an interview with Cory Jane I thought he must have some maori in him by the way he spoke, sounds stupid I know but low and behold turns out I was right.

Paul ***o is a freckle faced, pasty white ginga, but he's still a Maori and has represented NZ Maori

Rene Ranger isn't a "Cook Island Maori", he's a Cook Islander. No Maori there at all.

Mmmm. I guess you'd have to speak to him about that

Its BS mate, its a cultural thing. I know white people from Wairoa and Reporoa, who when they talk, if you shut your eyes you would swear are Maori.

I use to hear (on the radio) a female singer/pianist called Diana Krall. I had never seen a picture of her, and I got the shock of my life when I saw her for the first time on TV..... she is a white blond, but listening to her voice, I had always visualised her as Black!!

haha yeah I get it, just taking the ****... what they're trying to say is that cory jane says "chur bro", "cuz", "oowww" and "tumeke" :)

I don't know if you guys get Australia's got talent over there in NZ but how's this for a freak out. close your eyes and listen to this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLzy-REPosA

haha yeah I get it, just taking the ****... what they're trying to say is that cory jane says "chur bro", "cuz", "oowww" and "tumeke" :)

It's not really the colloquial that gives it away - although "tumeke" is a pretty good give away lol.

I guess it's the same with white and African Americans. They all talk with an American accent but you can always tell if someone is African American or not.

Here's a couple of typical example :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=--g2dmYDUEs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBC0bEwlEvg&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:
I've been playing a bit of Rugby Challenge and decided to make my Maori XV. It was very difficult to select a team, the competition for positions would be very good. Just wondering if any one can improve on it???

What would your 22 look like?

Here's mine

<OBJECT id=ieooui classid=clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D></OBJECT><STYLE> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </STYLE>1. Kees Meeuws/Ben Afeaki/Clint Newlands
2. Hika Elliot
3. Carl Hayman
4. Jarrod Hoeata
5. Hayden Triggs/Issac Ross/Romana Graham
6. Liam Messam
7. Daniel Braid/Tanerau Latimer/Luke Braid
8. Colin Bourke/Thomas Waldrom

9. Piri Weepu
10. Quade Cooper (He's a born and bred maori, why not pick him lol)
11. Hosea Gear
12. Dan Carter (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10648090)
13. Richard Kahui
14. Cory Jane
15. Israel Dagg

Reserves
16. Ben Afeaki/Clint Newlands/ Kees Meeuws
17. Aled De Malmanche/Cory Flynn
18. Hayden Triggs/Issac Ross/Romana Graham
19. Daniel Braid/Tanerau Latimer/Luke Braid
20. Aaron Smith/Chris Smylie
21. Aaron Cruden
22. Sean Maitland/Zach Guilford

Squad
Luke McAlister
Robbie Robinson
Stephen Brett
Karl Lowe
Dane Coles
Andre Taylor
Scott Waldrom
Matt Berquist
Troy Flavell
Bruce Reihana
Marty Holah

There's probably a few people that i didn't think of, i am curious on eligibility of a few people as well.

Does any one know if the following are maori?
Conrad Smith? (He's from Hawera lol, and i always thought he may have some darker blood in him just doesn't look 100% European)
Whitelock Brothers? I see Sam Whitelock and think he could have maori heritage may be??

I'm sure Alby Mattewson is Maori isn't he?

The Maori's would have a good team. The weirdest Maori selection was Ross Filipo.. How did he qualify to be Maori?!

Latest posts